Join Early Retirement Today

Transfer HSA account to my Fidelity HSA account
Old 08-12-2019, 10:59 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Transfer HSA account to my Fidelity HSA account

My HSA account with old Megacorp is invested in a Vanguard fund and they charge 2 fees total about $11 per month. I recently opened a Fidelity HSA account. I want to transfer old HSA account to Fidelity and I was told that I can only transfer accounts with cash. I will have to sell the fund first in my old HSA account before transferring to Fidelity.

I am in California which taxes HSA account like a cash account. Selling my fund will incur a state capital gain. I am trying to manage my MAGI for ACA subsidy. I think increasing my state income does not affect my overall federal MAGI per ACA subsidy. But I want to ask this question here to make sure there is no impact to federal MAGI.

Thanks
fh2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-12-2019, 11:13 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I would agree.... ACA subsidies are based on federal MAGI.

On another subject, is it worth prepaying the state tax to save $11/month?

Do you have any plans to change states in the near future? If so, perhaps wait.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 11:19 AM   #3

I moved mine to Fidelity and had to do exactly what you’ve been told - convert all assets to cash first. After that, the move went forward with no issue. I live in Michigan. The transaction did not effect my State or Federal taxes. Similar to an IRA.
Old 08-12-2019, 11:20 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by fh2000 View Post
My HSA account with old Megacorp is invested in a Vanguard fund and they charge 2 fees total about $11 per month. I recently opened a Fidelity HSA account. I want to transfer old HSA account to Fidelity and I was told that I can only transfer accounts with cash. I will have to sell the fund first in my old HSA account before transferring to Fidelity.

I am in California which taxes HSA account like a cash account. Selling my fund will incur a state capital gain. I am trying to manage my MAGI for ACA subsidy. I think increasing my state income does not affect my overall federal MAGI per ACA subsidy. But I want to ask this question here to make sure there is no impact to federal MAGI.

Thanks
Does it incur a gain when you change investments to cash, even if you do not transfer? Then transfer?

You do not actually take possession of the money, similar to an IRA rollover.

I transferred my HSA to Fidelity a year or so ago. No 1099, just a simple transfer.
FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 11:27 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator View Post
Does it incur a gain when you change investments to cash, even if you do not transfer? Then transfer?

You do not actually take possession of the money, similar to an IRA rollover.

I transferred my HSA to Fidelity a year or so ago. No 1099, just a simple transfer.
Unfortunately, California does not treat HSA accounts as IRA. They are like broker accounts. All interests/dividends/capital gains are taxed each year. It is a pain I know, since HSA bank do not even issue 1099 for annual state tax purposes. At least I have never received any. I had to track and record state tax on my own.

We have no plans to move to any other state.

If we start using the money for medical payment, I will have to liquidate and face state tax anyway, so I may just go ahead and sell then transfer to save a few dollars each month, plus no federal MAGI impact, looks like.
fh2000 is offline   Reply With Quote