Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 09-14-2022, 06:06 PM   #261
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
I’m using a ladder approach so I can catch higher rates today while also keeping my options open for higher rates in the future.
Currently I anticipate rates to nudge up for about a year. When I think the increases are done or near done I’ll extend my maturity to several years or more.
+1

While this may seem excessive to many, I've laddered 28 Treasury securities maturing over the next 12 months. Half of them mature by the end of January so I'm purposely front-loaded in time. As each one matures I "fill in a blank" further down the maturity stream. I'm not really bothered about maybe doing better by waiting.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-14-2022, 06:16 PM   #262

Quote:
Originally Posted by jldavid47 View Post
How lucky would you consider yourself if the S&P 500 hit 3100?
I'd be buying on the way down to 3100, not happy about that but it will pay off.
Old 09-14-2022, 06:19 PM   #263
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBSC View Post
They are creating a 17-week T-bill. The CMB is the test drive before the launch.
Thanks much. That’s all very interesting. A 17 week T-bill may be a useful duration while waiting for rates to rise.
Old 09-15-2022, 05:08 AM   #264
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
+1

While this may seem excessive to many, I've laddered 28 Treasury securities maturing over the next 12 months. Half of them mature by the end of January so I'm purposely front-loaded in time. As each one matures I "fill in a blank" further down the maturity stream. I'm not really bothered about maybe doing better by waiting.
I don't think so. I don't have quite that many rungs, but I have a lot, and I'm front loaded, and slowly stretching out the rungs as time goes on (less front loading).

Old 09-15-2022, 06:07 AM   #265

Quote:
+1

Good idea. I'll start building a one year ladder after the next Fed meeting and will slowly extend maturity.

I'm also waiting for some end of year corporate bond and preferred stock selling.
Old 09-15-2022, 06:29 AM   #266
Give me a forum ...

This waiting till the next Fed meeting leads to, well, waiting for the subsequent Fed meeting which leads to under-earning idle cash which does not get deployed until, gads!, Fed policy turns "neutral" again and you are investing at lower rates.

Laddering is the way to go.
Old 09-15-2022, 07:04 AM   #267
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montecfo View Post
This waiting till the next Fed meeting leads to, well, waiting for the subsequent Fed meeting which leads to under-earning idle cash which does not get deployed until, gads!, Fed policy turns "neutral" again and you are investing at lower rates.

Exactly. I bought 3 and 6 month bills on Monday, moving money from earning 2.1 to now earning over 3.1 and 3.5. Sure it will go higher, and it did the very next day, but that's always the risk. The flip side of that risk is leaving it at 2.1.

The good news is that's not all of our money. We have a T bill maturing today in fact. And even that money will be back in play in 3 months and 6 months, along with everything else that matures between now and then.

Never let the perfect be the enemy of the good.
Old 09-15-2022, 07:06 AM   #268
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneysteve View Post
Exactly. I bought 3 and 6 month bills on Monday, moving money from earning 2.1 to now earning over 3.1 and 3.5. Sure it will go higher, and it did the very next day, but that's always the risk. The flip side of that risk is leaving it at 2.1.

The good news is that's not all of our money. We have a T bill maturing today in fact. And even that money will be back in play in 3 months and 6 months, along with everything else that matures between now and then.

Never let the perfect be the enemy of the good.
+1. Same here. I’m doing 13 and 26 week bills for now. I’ll go longer when rates stabilize, maybe ladder. For now I’m getting better returns than cash or bond funds with no downside to speak of.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Old 09-15-2022, 07:52 AM   #269
Give me a forum ...

The 1-year T-bill kissed 4% this morning.
Old 09-15-2022, 08:11 AM   #270
Give me a forum ...

I have a Tbill maturing today 9/15/22 at Fidelity. As of 10am the principal and interest are in the settlement account. Interest is a separate line item. That seems fine to me!
Maybe I can catch one of those 1yr bills at 4%

EDIT: It's at 3.969 right now so why wait?
Old 09-15-2022, 09:13 AM   #271
Give me a forum ...

WOW. Just spent 30 min on the phone with Fido trying to place a small order for 1yr tbill. When I tried to place the order the system was ignoring my selection from the depth of book page. I called the Fixed Income Desk (800-476-4589) for help. The wait time was just a few minutes. They walked me through the process but the system would not take the order. After 25 minutes with a back office supervisor, they had to place the order on thier "other" system and waived the fee. He said I was doing everything correctly but sometimes the system doesn't handle small orders very well. I am very disappointed but hopefully this will be a one off. YTM ~3.96
Old 09-15-2022, 09:29 AM   #272

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graybeard View Post
I'd be buying on the way down to 3100, not happy about that but it will pay off.
Maybe.
Old 09-15-2022, 09:44 AM   #273

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montecfo View Post

Yup. The "under-earning idle cash" thing is one reason why I've been deploying bit by bit (laddering) over time and not waiting. I started slowly in late February and really started gearing up in June. Rates not only would have to catch up to what I got but would have to exceed the rate I got for a long enough period to offset the "lost" income by waiting.

I "know" rates are in an uptrend. The problem is what you think you know can cost you a lot of money over time because guess what? You (and I) could be wrong. Mr. Market doesn't care what we think we know. Laddering now helps mitigate uncertainty.
Old 09-15-2022, 09:54 AM   #274
Dryer sheet aficionado

While we continue to look for the perfect house the money for the new home (a cash purchase) is currently in savings accounts (@2%) , no penalty CDs (@2%) and 4 week T bills (@2.5%). How risky would it be to put this money into longer term treasuries (1 - 2 years) and then when we find the perfect house (hopefully soon) sell the treasuries in the secondary market ?
Old 09-15-2022, 11:01 AM   #275

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITTN View Post
How risky would it be to put this money into longer term treasuries (1 - 2 years) and then when we find the perfect house (hopefully soon) sell the treasuries in the secondary market ?
It would only be risky if there was a sharp rise in 1-2 year yields in the time frame from the time you purchased them to the time you wanted to sell. In that circumstance there is a chance you could be selling at a small loss. (I'm assuming that's what you mean by "risky")

Here's a personal example. I bought the 52 week T-Bill maturing on 9/7/23 at auction and paid 96.5016 per $100. Currently, the market price of that T-Bill is 96.2416 as 1-year rates have increased sharply over the past week. If I sold today I would realize a loss of $0.26 per $100. Even the 52 week T-Bills I bought in March are still showing a slight loss 6 months later. (For me this isn't a problem as I intend to hold to maturity).

Since you are thinking that the perfect house will come your way sooner rather than later you might want to keep up your current strategy and take the slightly lower rate. Liquidity of 52 week T-Bills isn't a problem. A slight loss of principal in the short run could be.
Treasury Bills, Notes, and Bonds Discussion
Old 09-15-2022, 11:22 AM   #276
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazz4cash View Post
The system was ignoring my selection from the depth of book page.
I am new to purchasing T-bills so I thought it was just me. In Fido, the top yielding secondary 52-week was showing a minimum order of 200 (~$200k) and I wanted less so I figured I could go to the depth of book and find an ask with a smaller minimum order. I chose one and entered a bid. The confirmation page still showed the original 200 minimum but the smaller order did go through and was later filled. I’m not sure this is the way it always displays, but it was confusing to me.
Old 09-15-2022, 12:22 PM   #277
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
It would only be risky if there was a sharp rise in 1-2 year yields in the time frame from the time you purchased them to the time you wanted to sell. In that circumstance there is a chance you could be selling at a small loss. (I'm assuming that's what you mean by "risky")

Here's a personal example. I bought the 52 week T-Bill maturing on 9/7/23 at auction and paid 96.5016 per $100. Currently, the market price of that T-Bill is 96.2416 as 1-year rates have increased sharply over the past week. If I sold today I would realize a loss of $0.26 per $100. Even the 52 week T-Bills I bought in March are still showing a slight loss 6 months later. (For me this isn't a problem as I intend to hold to maturity).

Since you are thinking that the perfect house will come your way sooner rather than later you might want to keep up your current strategy and take the slightly lower rate. Liquidity of 52 week T-Bills isn't a problem. A slight loss of principal in the short run could be.

Thank you jldavid47, your answer, and example were most helpful. I'll be staying with my current strategy.
Old 09-15-2022, 02:12 PM   #278
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Done View Post
I am new to purchasing T-bills so I thought it was just me. In Fido, the top yielding secondary 52-week was showing a minimum order of 200 (~$200k) and I wanted less so I figured I could go to the depth of book and find an ask with a smaller minimum order. I chose one and entered a bid. The confirmation page still showed the original 200 minimum but the smaller order did go through and was later filled. I’m not sure this is the way it always displays, but it was confusing to me.

I think I have experienced that also, but this time order did not go through and I got an error message (order less than minimum).

How did you enter the bid? I selected the “buy” button on the line next to the smaller minimum. If I get stuck again I’ll try entering the limit price manually and maybe even raise it a few tenths. I don’t think I’ll ever have orders >25k.
Old 09-15-2022, 02:49 PM   #279
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazz4cash View Post
How did you enter the bid? I selected the “buy” button on the line next to the smaller minimum.

Yes, I click the buy button on the depth of book screen, which prefills the corresponding limit price. If you lower the limit it may not work because that would require a higher minimum order. It’s also possible that those bonds are already sold when you complete the steps. In that case, return to the depth of book and try again.
Old 09-15-2022, 04:21 PM   #280
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Done View Post
Yes, I click the buy button on the depth of book screen, which prefills the corresponding limit price. If you lower the limit it may not work because that would require a higher minimum order. It’s also possible that those bonds are already sold when you complete the steps. In that case, return to the depth of book and try again.

Got it. I was thinking to RAISE the limit price by a few hundredths. The markets are live I guess and the numbers on the screen are changing constantly.