Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 09-24-2022, 05:28 PM   #361
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NomDeER View Post
My Vanguard settlement fund is at 2.49%. I don't know what the odds are of it going up fast enough to average 3.3% over the next three months, but I do think that the settlement fund is fairly likely to be above 3.3% in three months. I'm inclined to put half of my settlement account money into a relatively short term ladder (no more than 24 months with more going into a three month) right now and keep half of it in the settlement fund to invest in treasuries/CDs over the next few months.

This obviously is market timing, but it doesn't seem to be comparable to market timing for stocks because the Fed has pretty clearly indicated that it is going to be increasing interest rates during the rest of the year.

I admit, though, that I know very little about bonds, so this approach could be pretty dumb. So, people should feel free to tell me how and why it is not a wise approach.
Whatever you do, it's a lot smarter than keeping your money in some of the big mega banks, or even some of the online banks. I just got a notice from one Big Name internet bank that I can now get a 3% one year CD. WOW? Nope. I just built a ladder that had a one year CD kissing close to 4%.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-24-2022, 08:06 PM   #362
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
Whatever you do, it's a lot smarter than keeping your money in some of the big mega banks, or even some of the online banks. I just got a notice from one Big Name internet bank that I can now get a 3% one year CD. WOW? Nope. I just built a ladder that had a one year CD kissing close to 4%.
One year is at 4.05% now. Likely to rise too.
Old 09-25-2022, 10:46 PM   #363
Give me a forum ...

So what rate are we guessing for the auction tomorrow for the six month bond? I'm planning to wait for the October 3 auction to buy again. The 6 month T-bill was something like 3.8% annualized for the September 19th auction - reckon it will hit 4.1% tomorrow?
Old 09-26-2022, 05:04 AM   #364
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldShooter View Post
No worries. The government will just create whatever amount of money is needed. Defaults only happen to people who don't have the power to create the money that they owe.
That is true up to a point. If the FDIC runs out of money (like the FSLIC did in the late 1980s) the government can step in and make depositors whole. In the FSLIC instance it took a long time for that to happen. In the meantime your money is earning nothing and is completely illiquid.

There is ZERO doubt that Treasury bills are safer than CDs. Anyone who claims they are equally safe just doesn't understand the underlying characteristics of the products.
Old 09-26-2022, 05:08 AM   #365

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmloki View Post
So what rate are we guessing for the auction tomorrow for the six month bond? I'm planning to wait for the October 3 auction to buy again. The 6 month T-bill was something like 3.8% annualized for the September 19th auction - reckon it will hit 4.1% tomorrow?
6 month yields were approaching 3.9% on Friday and are higher this morning. The 2 year yields are up to 4.3% this morning. There is also a 2-year note auction later today. It will be interesting to see if that yield comes in in that area. We'll see.
Old 09-26-2022, 06:16 AM   #366
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmloki View Post
3.9+%?

It’s showing 3.926% early market.
Old 09-26-2022, 09:56 AM   #367

I read 3.913% for t-bills 6 month. (1140AM CNBC).

TD Ameritrade yield is 3.7 for the T-bills Secondary Market 6 month.

FIDO yield is 3.79 for T-bills sec mkt.
Old 09-26-2022, 09:58 AM   #368
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by jldavid47 View Post
There is ZERO doubt that Treasury bills are safer than CDs. Anyone who claims they are equally safe just doesn't understand the underlying characteristics of the products.
Agree, and the lesson from 2008...big banks don't fail? Really?

Ralph Waldo Emerson
Old 09-26-2022, 10:01 AM   #369
Give me a forum ...

TD publishes 3.981% (Investment rate - very close to approximate APR) for 26 week T-Bill. Probably headed to 4+ next week.

https://www.treasurydirect.gov/insti...nnceresult.htm

Old 09-26-2022, 10:07 AM   #370
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jldavid47 View Post
... There is ZERO doubt that Treasury bills are safer than CDs. Anyone who claims they are equally safe just doesn't understand the underlying characteristics of the products.
Well, I guess I just don't understand then. In terms of getting one's money back IMO they are the same. Admittedly possible bureaucratic delay favors the govvies but I don't think that jeopardizes "safe."
Old 09-26-2022, 10:17 AM   #371
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born2Fish View Post
I read 3.913% for t-bills 6 month. (1140AM CNBC).

TD Ameritrade yield is 3.7 for the T-bills Secondary Market 6 month.

FIDO yield is 3.79 for T-bills sec mkt.
It was 3.981% at auction on the Treasury Direct Auction Results page. Investment rate which is the best APR comparison.
Old 09-26-2022, 10:36 AM   #372
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Well, I guess I just don't understand then. In terms of getting one's money back IMO they are the same. Admittedly possible bureaucratic delay favors the govvies but I don't think that jeopardizes "safe."
I agree... as long as you stay within the FDIC limits then you will get your money back... and probably your contractual rate of interest too... but you might have to wait a bit for it. I agree that UST have a slight edge in that regard but it is really a nit in terms of differences in risk.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
Old 09-26-2022, 11:23 AM   #373

Quote:
The FDIC's is backed by the "Full faith and credit" of the US Treasury but the devil is in the details.

Here is one, namely a limit on the FDIC's ability to borrow from the US Treasury:
Quote:
(a) BORROWING FROM TREASURY.--

(1) IN GENERAL.--The Corporation is authorized to borrow from the Treasury, and the Secretary of the Treasury is authorized and directed to loan to the Corporation on such terms as may be fixed by the Corporation and the Secretary, such funds as in the judgment of the Board of Directors of the Corporation are from time to time required for insurance purposes, not exceeding in the aggregate $100,000,000,000 outstanding at any one time, subject to the approval of the Secretary of the Treasury:
Yes, 100 billion is a lot. Yes, I sleep at night knowing that FDIC deposits are insured and have US Treasury backing.

But there are differences between an FDIC insured bank account and a direct Treasury obligation.

I am posting this not to scare anyone from FDIC-insured deposits, only for education (to anyone who cares) about how the FDIC government backing works.

Reference: https://www.fdic.gov/regulations/law...dic1000sec.14a
Old 09-26-2022, 11:34 AM   #374
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by copyright1997reloaded View Post
... I am posting this not to scare anyone from FDIC-insured deposits, only for education (to anyone who cares) about how the FDIC government backing works. ...
All that is very nice, but irrelevant. The politicians are not going to let FDIC stiff people. Period. Rules and procedures will be rewritten on the fly as necessary. That is the way the government backing will work.
Old 09-26-2022, 11:47 AM   #375

Quote:
All that is very nice, but irrelevant. The politicians are not going to let FDIC stiff people. Period. Rules and procedures will be rewritten on the fly as necessary. That is the way the government backing will work.
Whatever. You keep insisting they are the same. They are not.

Did I say it was worth worrying about? No. But to insist "The politicians are not going to let the FDIC stiff people" is an assumption.
Old 09-26-2022, 12:18 PM   #376

I registered at Treasury Direct today and purchased my 1st I-bond today. I still have yet to figure out Fidelity's website on purchasing "new" T-Bills.

Now I have to get DW on board.

Thanks to all for this thread.
Old 09-26-2022, 12:30 PM   #377

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRLLS View Post
I registered at Treasury Direct today and purchased my 1st I-bond today. I still have yet to figure out Fidelity's website on purchasing "new" T-Bills.

Now I have to get DW on board.

Thanks to all for this thread.
See images for flow (screen 1, new issues, treasuries)
Attached Images
File Type: png screen 1.PNG (57.4 KB, 50 views)
File Type: png new issues.PNG (73.0 KB, 44 views)
File Type: png treasuries.PNG (67.0 KB, 45 views)
Old 09-26-2022, 12:48 PM   #378
Give me a forum ...

When Buying USTs, as I understand it there is no concern about $250k limits, as they are backed by the FF of the US Government which is better than FDIC.

Is that correct, or am I mistaken? I have never purchased a UST directly.

Thanks
Old 09-26-2022, 12:50 PM   #379

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShokWaveRider View Post
When Buying USTs, as I understand it there is no concern about $250k limits, as they are backed by the FF of the US Government which is better than FDIC.

Is that correct, or am I mistaken? I have never purchased a UST directly.

Thanks
That's correct.
Old 09-26-2022, 12:52 PM   #380
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim584672 View Post
That's correct.
Thanks