Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 09-01-2022, 06:21 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I don’t think Schwab charges a fee for buying at auction. Not sure about Fidelity. Buying on the market includes markups imbedded in the price.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-01-2022, 06:26 AM   #22
Give me a forum ...

Some posters in the other thread gave us some handy links to Fidelity and Vanguard Fixed Income Yield Tables that do not require login.

Credit to LiveFree for this one (modified to land on the YIELDS tab)

https://fixedincome.fidelity.com/ftg...|highest-yield

Credit to DisneySteve for the Vanguard version...

https://personal.vanguard.com/us/FixedIncomeHome

The Fidelity link is very limited beyond the opening page but the Vanguard links in the yield table are active. Interesting
Old 09-01-2022, 06:30 AM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazz4cash View Post
A 7 yr note (issued in Sept 2015) is trading in the secondary market right now. It matures in Sept 2022 and it will be priced comparably to every other treasury that matures in Sept 2022 regardless of the original term.

Edit: this statement is consistent with JoeW's reply above.
I always feel better when two posts simultaneously hit, and they are consistent.

Old 09-01-2022, 08:00 AM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeWras View Post
It's a bit more complicated and you have to pay attention to minimums, and perhaps explore the depth of book.
Can you explain more here?

What minimums are you referring to? When I go in to buy treasuries, I see that they're sold in $1,000 increments and I just select the number I want. Are there situations where you can't buy less than a certain number? I haven't encountered that.

And what is depth of book? I think it has something to do with how actively traded something is but I'm honestly not sure or how it applies here.
Old 09-01-2022, 08:12 AM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Sometimes the minimum purchase quantity is more than one $1,000 bond... sometimes 25 $1,000 bonds and sometimes more.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
Old 09-01-2022, 08:24 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
Sometimes the minimum purchase quantity is more than one $1,000 bond... sometimes 25 $1,000 bonds and sometimes more.
Thanks. I didn't realize that happened as I haven't encountered it.
Old 09-01-2022, 08:32 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
When using the Fidelity site I frequently have to click on the "depth of book" link which will bring up all the current quantities including those that are lower than the initial quote screen. I've been adding to one T Bill holding all year for next years withdrawal. The last time I went to purchase 5 more bills ($5000) the minimum quantity listed was 1000. I went to the depth of book and clicked on a minimum of 1 and bought it. A few pennies more but nothing significant.
Old 09-01-2022, 08:34 AM   #28
Give me a forum ...

I remember that now that you mention it.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
Old 09-01-2022, 09:04 AM   #29
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeWras View Post
I always feel better when two posts simultaneously hit, and they are consistent.
Thanks gents. I just ASSumed A 7 year note had to be held for 7 years. It's that learning curve I'm going through!

Mike
Old 09-01-2022, 09:24 AM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneysteve View Post
Thanks. I didn't realize that happened as I haven't encountered it.

Looking at the Vanguard yield table link that you posted in the other thread….If you click one of the treasury rates listed the page that opens will display a list of bonds available in that maturity range. The second column of the table is “Min”. That is the minimum quantity that you can buy or sell at the quoted bid or asking price. Frequently there are several sellers with different minimums. At Vanguard it will say “show more” but I haven’t seen that too often. At Fido they have a depth of book column and there is almost always several sellers listed. The initial price you see is always the lowest but it may require a large minimum. Opening the depth of book will list sellers with lower minimums but the price is generally a few pennies higher.

https://personal.vanguard.com/us/FixedIncomeHome
Old 09-01-2022, 09:37 AM   #31

I just attempted to by a 1-year T-Bill on Vanguard at auction. The auction schedule on Vanguard showed that the auction was open on 9/1/2022 (today), but it didn't show any details, nor did it allow me to select it in order to buy it. Anyone know why?
Old 09-01-2022, 10:11 AM   #32
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincenzo Corleone View Post
I just attempted to by a 1-year T-Bill on Vanguard at auction. The auction schedule on Vanguard showed that the auction was open on 9/1/2022 (today), but it didn't show any details, nor did it allow me to select it in order to buy it. Anyone know why?
Generally, you have to have your auction order in before the cut-off time. Usually that is about the same time that the equity market opens on the day of the auction, but it can be earlier. I think Vanguard sometime shows the cut-off time at midnight before the day's auction.
Old 09-01-2022, 10:11 AM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
This link is your friend: https://www.treasurydirect.gov/insti...t.htm?upcoming
Or a deeper schedule: https://home.treasury.gov/system/fil...n-Schedule.pdf

It is announced today. It closes on Tuesday at 9:30am. (Don't wait that long.) Normally, you'll see Vanguard and Fidelity open up orders on Thursday for a Monday close. But Monday is labor day, so although the announcement is on the typical Thursday, the closing is pushed to Tuesday. You should see it open for orders tomorrow.

At least that was the pattern I've seen for other Monday holidays. Seems like Vanguard takes the close date minus 4 days instead of keying off the announcement. But I'm just guessing.

Old 09-01-2022, 10:15 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by plsprius View Post
Generally, you have to have your auction order in before the cut-off time. Usually that is about the same time that the equity market opens on the day of the auction, but it can be earlier. I think Vanguard sometime shows the cut-off time at midnight before the day's auction.
The auction supposedly opened today. The cutoff is 9/6/2022.
Old 09-01-2022, 10:20 AM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
As I mentioned, when there is a Monday holiday, Vanguard ignores their own word "open" and delays the actual open by a day.

BTW, for those who like auctions and want to put in orders way ahead (months), Treasury Direct allows it.

Treasury Bills, Notes, and Bonds Discussion
Old 09-01-2022, 10:20 AM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Treasury Bills, Notes, and Bonds Discussion

Quote:

I see the treasuries for next week’s auction are listed on Schwab, but not on Fidelity.
Old 09-01-2022, 10:24 AM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Some background info for buying 13-week or 26-week treasuries at auction through Fidelity for those who haven’t done it. A little tutorial if you will. Fidelity offers this service plus an auto roll feature for free.

BTW I only buy t-bills during periods of rising interest rates when high yield savings accounts, money market funds and short-term CDs can’t seem to catch up. Once rates stabilize I usually move back to CDs.

I’ve been buying 13 week and 26 week t-bills at auction. These are auctioned on Monday, or Tuesday if Monday is a market holiday.

The next Monday auction is normally announced by the Treasury Department on a Thursday. At some point on Thursday the treasuries to be auctioned will show up under the “New Issue” tab in Fidelity’s fixed income offerings. The duration of each treasury is indicated by the maturity date.

At any time between Thursday and very early Monday morning, you can click on the Trade button and simply enter how much you want in $1000s. So for $50,000 you would enter quantity 50. Until (? hours before) the auction goes through you can cancel your order. At Fidelity you can also select Auto Roll if you want the t-bill to automatically roll over to the same duration when it matures.

For me this takes maybe 10 seconds.

Late Monday morning you get a trade confirmation with the details and you can also look at the Treasury Direct auction results. I like this page which gives the next upcoming auctions as well as the latest auction results including price and yield. https://www.treasurydirect.gov/insti...t.htm?upcoming

The Monday trade settles on the following Thursday.

These are zero coupon bills so you will be paying slightly under the amount you ordered, then you will be returned the full amount upon maturity, and the difference is your interest payment. The auction determines exactly the interest rate you will pay, it’s not known exactly ahead of time. Normally it’s very close to what the secondary market is trading maybe even slightly above in my experience. Looking at the recent secondary market is really the only way to gage your likely yield ahead of time. Here is a handy little calculator for determining your equivalent coupon and annualized yield. https://goodcalculators.com/treasury-bills-calculator/
Old 09-01-2022, 10:24 AM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dash man View Post
I see the treasuries for next week’s auction are listed on Schwab, but not on Fidelity.
They will show up on Fidelity today in my experience.
Old 09-01-2022, 10:32 AM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
The auction has not opened yet. It has been announced. You can place an order a few days ahead of the auction through yiur broker which won’t occur until Monday morning, or Tuesday morning if Monday is a holiday.
Old 09-01-2022, 10:46 AM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
They will show up on Fidelity today in my experience.

I know. It’s just a pain for me today since my DW is away with her sisters for the weekend. It’s her IRA account, and without her phone I can’t log in, so I’m trying to keep this login going before it times out. First world problem! [emoji23]
Closed Thread