Tried a little market timing yesterday

Packman

Recycles dryer sheets
For several months now I had been thinking of transferring the 401k from my last job to my IRA. I knew that when I initiated the order to make the transfer, my money would be out of the markets for 1 - 2 days. So, obviously I was trying to time the move to a down market day or two. Well, since yesterday the market was up for the 3rd day in row, and by 150 points or so, I decided to make my move. Didn't work out too well as the market went up again today by about 1.7%. Cost me 9k in missed appreciation.

And I really thought I was getting good at predicitng the up and down days lately - I wasn't. :blush:

Nice try.

I was able to do an "in kind" transfer and avoid that problem. Managed to keep my positions in a couple of closed funds as well. Otherwise I wouldn't have been able to replace them. I hope I can do that with DW's 401k, but I suspect my Fidelity to Fidelity transfer made it much easier.

My 401k transfer was Fidelity to Fidelity as well, but in-kind wasn't an option - everything went to cash. That was fine with me as I am planning some significant asset reallocation anyway.

Never works for me...I always seem to do just the opposite of what I should have done...doh!!!!!!!!!

My DW has a Fido to VG rollover coming up. I plan to get around the transfer period by moving her Fido funds into ST Bond and exchanging VG funds from ST Bond to match the current Fido holdings on the same day. I can't even market time for a couple of days. I can see some mental problems when I transition from the accumulation to withdrawal phase.

Think of the transfer to your IRA as a long term move. In the long term, a little market jiggle like that doesn't matter. Or at least, that is what I would be telling myself if I had done that. :)

And I really thought I was getting good at predicitng the up and down days lately - I wasn't. :blush:

Hey, Packman...

Let's put it into perspective. I figure as long as you can predict your bowel movements you're way ahead of the game.

Back
Top Bottom