Try to smell the roses while planning...

thefed

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I've REALLY been trying to avoid this section of the forum. I've been in 'other' for one reason: I GET TOO WRAPPED UP!

Sure, it matters, but WHY fret about what my utilities will be in 2055? Or what my SS will look like in 40 years? Don't ge tme wrong....I have a plan.....but I have to avoid getting too deeply engulfed in it.

When I think about retiring too much, my personal life suffers because I forget to live for today.

I'm 22, I own 2 homes, I have a son turning one year old on the 31st, a beautiful fiance, a decent job, I own a small company, I have a remarkably fast and beautiful car to keep my testosterone in check, and I have a solid investment plan. WHY fret over what I'm going to be spending on Corn Flakes 40 years down the road?

I've tried HARD to enjoy lifes little things :birds chirping, the dew on the morning grass, the sparkle in my son's eyes, the rumble of my car's exhaust...and I'm a lot happier.

If you find yourself in the same position, step back and see what a wonderful thing you are missing.

at your age it's understandable why you aren't overly concerned ... but as you get closer to retirement, unless you're already financially independent, your concern will increase.  on the other hand, if you're adequately planning at this point, you'll not have to fret at all.

d said:
at your age it's understandable why you aren't overly concerned ... but as you get closer to retirement, unless you're already financially independent, your concern will increase. on the other hand, if you're adequately planning at this point, you'll not have to fret at all.

I guess my point was tha I often AM overly concerned and it isn't healthy. I have to try to NOT be that way...

there's nothing wrong with planning ...

I hope I'm not spending anything on Corn Flakes 40 years down the road. I don't spend any money on them now. Disgusting!

I think I tend toward obsessing on things and I completely identify with thefed.  Money is only a means to an end.

It's all about balance, finding the right mix of obsessing and playing.

"It's all about balance, finding the right mix of obsessing and playing."

I agree 100%.

I'd rather be poor and happy than rich and depressed. ER is nice, but IMO shouldn't be the first priority in life. For many, especially those just starting careers, there may be a much bigger payoff to trying to be happy in and outside of work, than to strive for ER.

Of course, many here don't miss what they've given up to ER.

With a simple plan like one from Four Pillars, or even a simple total markets strategy, it should be possible to spend only a few hours per year on investing. And maybe a few more on financial planning.

For me, it's an on again/off again hobby, but (again, like many here) I enjoy it.

I'd rather be poor and happy than rich and depressed
if we get to choose, put me down for "rich and happy" ...
finding the right mix of obsessing and playing
but let's not obsess about that!

I thought the beautiful fiancee is for the testosterone....

The car is just if she is not available :D

LOL! said:
I hope I'm not spending anything on Corn Flakes 40 years down the road.  I don't spend any money on them now.  Disgusting!
Nope!  I now spend money on Quaker Oats (too help keep my cholesterol levels under control)...  :mad:

- Ron

Fed, that was a great post. I'm glad to hear you are looking for balance. You're in an amazing position for a 22 year old, and well on your way to FIRE - it is SO important to have that balance of enjoying the now and planning for the future.

At age 22, IMHO, your focus should be on getting to be FI....early retirement can be the result of being FI but you gotta pay if you want to play so FI is the primary goal if you want ER. The day to day job, career, business, investment stuff is the way get to FI....one day at a time.

Looking too far ahead keeps you from seeing the importance of living each day to the fullest. Tomorrow is not promised to any of us and living too far into the future will cause you to miss out on today and all the things that bring you joy each day.

Money and work are important as are having short term and long term goals....but today is now and tomorrow may never happen. Balance living for today with saving for tomorrow. Don't forget to have fun each day.

Back
Top Bottom