TT and Vanguard

Went ahead and bought Tax Cut yesterday for $22. Done with Turbo Tax. Too bad Vanguard no longer offering the TT deal but can't blame them after last years fiasco.

Good price…where did you get it for $22?

Fidelity's web site claims they'll still offer TurboTax with more details "in December" (yeah, I know it's December). We can also get it through Costco but I may get TaxAct anyway. I got TurboTax last year but didn't get a refund because I hadn't used it the year before. (I had used them in many previous years.) Now I know they're sneaky. I'll go elsewhere.

Good price…where did you get it for $22?
My Bad, I said Tax Cut but I meant Tax Act. Sorry for the confusion. I used tax Act last year and it worked well which is why I bought it again this year

Emailed VG Flagship rep and told him I heard that VG was not offering TurboTax Deluxe complimentary to Flagship members, or discounted to others. His reply email was the same verbiage as originally posted here, which arrived 3 minutes after the original email broadcast from Vanguard today.

I had gone to Taxact and put the $21.99 offer in my account cart, but didn't buy it before logging off. Today it has disappeared from my cart and the price in now $29.99.......

Looks like I am going to Taxact for $22...

H&R and TT are now in the $50 to $60 or more range....

Kinda POed that Vanguard is cutting this from our benefits...

Yes. Then you get the opportunity like I did in May of each year to pre-order the following year for only $19 (fed/state). I would never TT's prices, nor H&R's.

Wow - big change.

As long as Deluxe will offer the schedule D, we can go back to Deluxe, and buy it from Costco or Amazon depending on who has the best deal.

Got a free Premier from Fidelity last year, but don't know what they will offer for 2015 taxes.

The TT link doesn't say which versions handle schedule D.

TaxAct:

Looks like they have increased their prices. The link below is for on-line access and storage on their site. If you prefer desktop products, add $10 more.

https://www.taxact.com/index.asp

For years, their deluxe version for itemizers had everything in it for $9.99. They were acquired by Blucora (formerly Infospace) in 2012, and now offer a product for small businesses. In any event, they are STILL less expensive than TT, and put out a good product.

I prefer the desktop version. I pre-order in May (based on email from them) and paid $12.99 to be charged in January when the final version is ready. They sent out the preliminary version for review at the beginning of November.

Rita

Turbo did fine for my simple needs, just sent this message to my Flagship rep. In the entire time I've had Flagship status it's the only message I've ever sent her:

"I just wanted to pass along how disappointed I am to learn today that Vanguard will no longer be offering a complimentary copy of TurboTax software to it's Flagship clients this year. It was one of the few perks that helped me ignore competitive offers to move my accounts; it really is the little things that matter."

Edit: I received a response fairly quickly:

Dear Mr:

I will share your feedback via our Voice of the Client response. Many of my
clients share your disappointment that Vanguard is no longer offering a
complimentary copy of TurboTax. I hope to be able to serve you in the
future and demonstrate the value of Flagship and Vanguard.

Last edited:
Turbo did fine for my simple needs, just sent this message to my Flagship rep. In the entire time I've had Flagship status it's the only message I've ever sent her:

"I just wanted to pass along how disappointed I am to learn today that Vanguard will no longer be offering a complimentary copy of TurboTax software to it's Flagship clients this year. It was one of the few perks that helped me ignore competitive offers to move my accounts; it really is the little things that matter."

Edit: I received a response fairly quickly:

Dear Mr:

I will share your feedback via our Voice of the Client response. Many of my
clients share your disappointment that Vanguard is no longer offering a
complimentary copy of TurboTax. I hope to be able to serve you in the
future and demonstrate the value of Flagship and Vanguard.

My Flagship representative never responded to my follow-up email after his original response. Guess when your out in front and are among the least expensive - you don't have to worry about Customer Service. Was also the first time I've contacted this (my third) Flagship Rep.

We buy our TT from this site SaveDealz. We've bought from here for several years. Never a problem. Download to our desktop. Their prices cannot be beat. TT Deluxe is $24.99 for Federal and State.

We buy our TT from this site SaveDealz. We've bought from here for several years. Never a problem. Download to our desktop. Their prices cannot be beat. TT Deluxe is $24.99 for Federal and State.

There you are! I've been searching for the post that told me about SaveDealz. I bought Home and Business from them last year at your suggestion, and only paid $45, as opposed to $80 on Amazon. Great deal, easy download, and full featured. I second (and thank you for) your recommendation.

Much as I will miss the free TT, I think it is in Vanguard's best interest to do this.
With the issues that TurboTax had last year I'm not surprised that Vanguard cut ties.
Yes. I don't think Vanguard owes me a discount, and I don't think, based on Intuit's history, that it is the kind of company with which Vanguard wants to be associated.

I'll probably go with H&R Block's product again. I liked it better than Tax Act, and found it to be just as good as/considerably cheaper than Turbo Tax. Doing taxes is such a PITA and a missed "opportunity" is so costly that I don't mind spending a few dollars more for a product that I've found to be easy to use and which works well.

Last edited:

Thanks for the link.... it gives us another option...

I will just wait to see if Vanguard changes their mind with the feedback they are getting....

I would suggest everybody send in a complaint.... something might give way....

Heck, if they do not like TT, then offer me H&R block for free or discount...

Usually good deals on tax software in May. After the April rush and before the fall filing deadline.

+1 on SaveDealz. Ordered from them last year with no problems. Saved even more for 2015 by pre-ordering at $19.99 (now $24.99) for TT Deluxe w/ one state + e-file.

I'm not a big fan of Intuit but dread the idea of changing after using TT for so many years.

I actually had a question on that. I need schedule D and schedule E and related depreciation schedules and prefer to e-file. Can I do that with Deluxe? If so then I'll go with that.

I have a faint recollection that with one of the TT versions you could fill out some schedules but not efile them but I don't recall the details.

I just wanted to share what I found out on this when talking with Intuit a few minutes ago. The download version of Deluxe allows one to do Schedules D and E and efile but to do that in the online version you need Premier. Since I prefer the download version anyway, I'll go with Deluxe.

The rep conceded that the online guide steered me to Premier when I said I had rental property because of the extras for phone consultations, etc and not due to any difference in functionality with respect to Schedules D or E.

I just wanted to share what I found out on this when talking with Intuit a few minutes ago. The download version of Deluxe allows one to do Schedules D and E and efile but to do that in the online version you need Premier.

The rep conceded that the online guide steered me to Premier when I said I had rental property because of the extras for phone consultations, etc and not due to any difference in functionality with respect to Schedules D or E.

Sounds like TT is still playing marketing games, even after last year's big fiasco. This helps reinforce my decision to go elsewhere this year for my tax filing software.

IIRC there have always been nuances of differences between the online and download versions... I agree that it is annoying.

I just don't care to change at this point and the price at SaveDealz was good enough($25).

And then I get this email. Seems like they immediately start off calling Vanguard out:

"Dear Valued Customer,

For many years, Vanguard has offered TurboTax for free, or at a greatly reduced price, as a special benefit for select Vanguard clients. Unfortunately, Vanguard decided to discontinue this TurboTax program.

As a result of Vanguard's decision, you will no longer be able to get TurboTax at a heavily discounted price through Vanguard.com.

You may see TurboTax offered through Vanguard.com this year. However, using those links will not provide you a discount as they have in prior years. We hope that you'll continue to trust your taxes to TurboTax. You will still be able to download your Vanguard tax forms into TurboTax. In addition, we're pleased to offer you a discount of up to $20 off TurboTax federal products. Take advantage of this offer now.

If you have any questions or comments regarding Vanguard's decision, please contact Vanguard at 1-800-345-1344.

Sincerely,

Your TurboTax Team"

And then I get this email. Seems like they immediately start off calling Vanguard out:

"Dear Valued Customer,

For many years, Vanguard has offered TurboTax for free, or at a greatly reduced price, as a special benefit for select Vanguard clients. Unfortunately, Vanguard decided to discontinue this TurboTax program.

As a result of Vanguard's decision, you will no longer be able to get TurboTax at a heavily discounted price through Vanguard.com.

You may see TurboTax offered through Vanguard.com this year. However, using those links will not provide you a discount as they have in prior years. We hope that you'll continue to trust your taxes to TurboTax. You will still be able to download your Vanguard tax forms into TurboTax. In addition, we're pleased to offer you a discount of up to $20 off TurboTax federal products. Take advantage of this offer now.

If you have any questions or comments regarding Vanguard's decision, please contact Vanguard at 1-800-345-1344.

Sincerely,

Your TurboTax Team"

Just got that email also. Gotta admire their style of forwarding Vanguard's number. Me thinks they want folks to call and complain to Vanguard.

Even with that $20 discount, the price of TT Deluxe for a desktop version is $49.99.

I'm way leaning towards getting from SaveDealz at $24.99.

But Taxcut is tempting too, as a matter of principle.

...I'm way leaning towards getting from SaveDealz at $24.99. ...

I just this morning bought TT Deluxe 2015 via SaveDealz downloaded it and have transferred all my 2015 estimated items (previously in TT 2014) and all is well.

Once you complete the purchase they send you an email with a link to the download site.

Back
Top Bottom