Turbo tax and HR Block trying to sell data - wash post

Interesting read. It sounds like this is only an issue if you use the online versions of the software. I only use the locally installed versions and don't recall any such privacy breaching permission requests.

I'm not surprised. I also use the CD version and install it on my computer, but I'm well aware that the data they collect, even without my personally-identifiable info, is ripe for "monetization". They collect far more detail than the IRS cares about in Medical deductions, for example- prescriptions vs. doctor/dentist visits vs. "facility fees", for example.

I use HR Block, the local version. Intuit has had a reputation as a slimy company for many years; I won't be surprised if someday they are caught selling personally identifiable data both from Quicken and from Turbo Tax. HR Block is for me the lesser of two evils, though I don't know much about their company ethics.

Interesting read. It sounds like this is only an issue if you use the online versions of the software. I only use the locally installed versions and don't recall any such privacy breaching permission requests.
FWIW. I am still investigating privacy for download (vs online) versions. Most "free" online products that rely on data mining, won't share your data - until one day they change policies and further monetize users with the data they've been keeping (all along). And you won't find that policy change published except on some deliberately obscure hard to find web page that most users would never find.
How Do You Have My Personal Information If I am Using Your Desktop Product?

We do not have your financial information if you use our desktop products and you print and mail your return.

If you use our desktop products and decide to electronically file your tax return, we are required to retain a copy of your encrypted tax return on our systems.
https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/security/help/learn-more-about-turbotax-privacy/00/26687

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom