Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-26-2020, 04:17 PM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
I just downloaded Deluxe ($39.99 Fed+State+$10AMZN gift card) after several years of buying Premier, evidently unnecessarily >. A couple other posters told me I could complete Sch D with Deluxe. Intuit goes to great lengths to suggest you have to have Premier. >

For the past three years I have used Deluxe to prepare our taxes which include Schedules A, B, C, D, and E. I occasionally would get a message on the screen that suggested I upgrade to Premier ďfor more guidanceĒ, but I have not been locked out of the forms or making entries.

Aside: I hope that after TY2020 our return will get easier. We sold our rental unit a month ago, and DH may not do any consulting in 2021.
Philliefan33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-26-2020, 04:45 PM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryMelman View Post
I need Premier for investments/Schedule D. As I imagine most folks on this forum would, most of the time.
No, you donít, not with the download or CD version. If Intuit hints otherwise they are being less than truthful. We have tons of transactions and a large schedule D and TT Deluxe handles it just fine including downloading 1099 data from our two brokerage companies. Deluxe is fully functional for Schedule D for CD and download versions.
Old 12-26-2020, 04:48 PM   #43
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by statsman View Post
For Schedule D, isn't the difference between Deluxe and Premier is Premier will offer investing advice along with entering the data, while Deluxe is for entering data only?
All our data is downloaded and propagates to Schedule D automatically in Deluxe, so we donít even see the entering data part. Itís very slick.
Old 12-26-2020, 04:55 PM   #44
Give me a forum ...

There is a history here. A few years ago Intuit removed the schedule D capability from the online version of Deluxe, but it remained in the CD/download version. The following year they initially removed it from the Deluxe CD/download version, but there was a massive hue and cry from customers about bait and switch, and they ended up reinstating it. So the capability remains, but the marketing still acts like Schedule D support is extremely limited.
Old 12-26-2020, 04:59 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by mystang52 View Post
I will be getting the Deluxe (with State) TT. In the past I've gotten the disc. Is it 6 of one half dozen of another between the disc or download? Maybe stupid question, since I used disc last year will TT have that info should I get the download version?
If those are my only two options, I would buy whichever is cheaper. I generally don't use either of them.
jimbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2020, 05:03 PM   #46
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
There is a history here. A few years ago Intuit removed the schedule D capability from the online version of Deluxe, but it remained in the CD/download version. The following year they initially removed it from the Deluxe CD/download version, but there was a massive hue and cry from customers about bait and switch...
^This. I'm now a big H&R Block fan and doubt I'll ever purchase TT again.

The key to understanding human behavior is realizing half the population is below average.
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2020, 05:14 PM   #47

he only reason I upgraded to Premier last year was because I was doing SIL's taxes and he sold his house. Deluxe would not let me take the exemption.
Souschef is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2020, 06:54 PM   #48
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tulak View Post
Thatís what I do too. Much easier. And odds are Amazon will be around for a long time, so no worries in losing the ability to download again. I have TT from 2014 that I can download. Thatís the first year I bought a downloadable copy.

As for looking at old tax data, I save a final version in PDF. I find thatís enough for me. Iíve never needed to reinstall TT.
I've been using the download for at least 8 years. I usually keep two years of TT installed, but I save the executable from the download. I've got them all on both my HDD and a flash drive. So even if I couldn't reinstall from Amazon or Intuit I could still reinstall. It's really no different than having CDs stashed away.

Having said that, I've never had to reinstall either. I've used the still installed previous year's version, but no farther back than that. Other than that, the pdfs have been enough.

Plus, I haven't had an on board optical drive for many years, so a CD would be an annoyance.
Old 12-26-2020, 07:53 PM   #49
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
No, you donít, not with the download or CD version. If Intuit hints otherwise they are being less than truthful. We have tons of transactions and a large schedule D and TT Deluxe handles it just fine including downloading 1099 data from our two brokerage companies. Deluxe is fully functional for Schedule D for CD and download versions.
I think I used Premier in 2019 and 2018 because
a) I needed it for ESPP sales (which may not be technically correct either but they do currently list ESPP as a feature of Premier)
and/or
b) Fidelity gave it to me for free in 2017 and prior.
LarryMelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2020, 09:05 AM   #50
Recycles dryer sheets

I took the exemption using Deluxe in 2019. The interview walked me through the process.

If I remember correctly, I was using downloaded software from Amazon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Souschef View Post
he only reason I upgraded to Premier last year was because I was doing SIL's taxes and he sold his house. Deluxe would not let me take the exemption.
Lagniappe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2020, 09:09 AM   #51
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
No, you don’t, not with the download or CD version. If Intuit hints otherwise they are being less than truthful. We have tons of transactions and a large schedule D and TT Deluxe handles it just fine including downloading 1099 data from our two brokerage companies. Deluxe is fully functional for Schedule D for CD and download versions.
Hint? They’re deliberately misleading IMO. Evidently they’ve cheated me for a couple years as I’ve bought Premier IMO. Unfortunately TurboTax has been the best product IMO, otherwise I’d jump ship.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1AAC228D-7C3E-42A5-BF1C-92B0CC71E79E.jpg (284.8 KB, 29 views)

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 30% bonds / 20% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2020, 09:51 AM   #52
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Hint? Theyíre deliberately misleading IMO. Evidently theyíve cheated me for a couple years as Iíve bought Premier IMO.
Old habits die hard. Brings back memories of the Intuit rebate days having to jump through hoops to get a rebate .
Old 12-27-2020, 10:11 AM   #53
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Hint? Theyíre deliberately misleading IMO. Evidently theyíve cheated me for a couple years as Iíve bought Premier IMO. Unfortunately TurboTax has been the best product IMO, otherwise Iíd jump ship.
When Fidelity changed their TT Premium Perk rules a bit and we werenít offered it for a couple of years I reviewed Deluxe again. And I guess read enough comments to figure the Schedule D functionality was still there. So we switched back to Deluxe with no problem.

Yes - that chart with no qualifiers is an outright lie.
Old 12-27-2020, 10:26 AM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagniappe View Post
I took the exemption using Deluxe in 2019. The interview walked me through the process.

If I remember correctly, I was using downloaded software from Amazon.
I used Deluxe for our 2018 tax year filing (sold our house late in 2018), and the exemption was there for us also. I wonder what caused Deluxe to not work properly for Souschef.
statsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2020, 11:00 AM   #55
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryMelman View Post
You may be right. I had ESPP sales in 2018 and 2019, maybe that's why I needed Premier. I will not have any in 2020 so maybe I can just use Deluxe.
I can see that. It's been quite awhile since I've had ESPP sales, but I do remember it being complex to separate the ordinary income from the capital gains.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2020, 12:54 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningBum View Post
I can see that. It's been quite awhile since I've had ESPP sales, but I do remember it being complex to separate the ordinary income from the capital gains.

It is a pain. I have ESPP every year, but itís been 10+ years since I looked at the details. When I did, I realized that I was doing it wrong in previous years. After I verified that TT was doing it correctly, I promptly forgot how to do it myself.
Old 12-27-2020, 07:05 PM   #57
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
When Fidelity changed their TT Premium Perk rules a bit and we werenít offered it for a couple of years I reviewed Deluxe again. And I guess read enough comments to figure the Schedule D functionality was still there. So we switched back to Deluxe with no problem.

Yes - that chart with no qualifiers is an outright lie.
I'm pretty sure the difference is that Deluxe handles schedule D transactions (cap gains, dividends) but not the sales of investments. That requires Premier.

Also, someone told me that the disc or download version of Deluxe will do the schedule D transactions,, but not the online version. That's hearsay, but I wouldn't put it past them.
Old 12-27-2020, 07:34 PM   #58
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
I'm pretty sure the difference is that Deluxe handles schedule D transactions (cap gains, dividends) but not the sales of investments. That requires Premier.

Also, someone told me that the disc or download version of Deluxe will do the schedule D transactions,, but not the online version. That's hearsay, but I wouldn't put it past them.
The download/CD version absolutely does handle sales of securities. I always have some sales each year - rebalancing, tax loss harvesting, exchanging funds. Deluxe imports these transactions and puts them on Schedule D no problem.

The online version lost schedule D capability years ago.
Old 12-27-2020, 07:50 PM   #59
Give me a forum ...

Oh well, I guess they're just lying about it. I wonder why there isn't more outrage about it? There's very little discussion about it that I see with a quick search.
Old 12-27-2020, 07:52 PM   #60
Give me a forum ...

I've been using the downloaded versions for the past few years.... Absolutely zero problems w/TT. I actually had to download it a second time this year (just yesterday) since an automatic MS OS update effectively destroyed my PC...