Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-27-2020, 07:59 PM   #61
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
Hint? Theyíre deliberately misleading IMO. Evidently theyíve cheated me for a couple years as Iíve bought Premier IMO. Unfortunately TurboTax has been the best product IMO, otherwise Iíd jump ship.

I'm annoyed at this as well. I have previously purchased Premier simply for access to their Schedule D. Yesterday I ordered the Deluxe+State CD and will install it as soon as it arrives next week to do some investigating.

I too like TurboTax for taxes. I used H&R Block for 2015 and 2016, but went back to my comfort zone in subsequent years.

There have been a couple of posts mentioning that many computers do not come with CD drives now. I'm typing on one now and it was something of a shock when I got it. There are plenty of external USB plug in CD Drives available for approximately $20. I bought one of those. I also bought an external USB 3.5" floppy drive to see what I had on some random 3.5" disks I had. Luckily I didn't have to do it for a 5.25" floppy.
FDC319 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-27-2020, 08:32 PM   #62
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
Oh well, I guess they're just lying about it. I wonder why there isn't more outrage about it? There's very little discussion about it that I see with a quick search.
Yeah, it’s as if they want to keep it hush, hush so more people buy Premier, I guess.
Old 12-28-2020, 04:58 AM   #63
Recycles dryer sheets

Turbo Tax Federal and State currently on sale at Amazon for a limited time today. Seems to be all versions. Just picked up Premier 2020 Fed and State for $54.90.
5Miler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2020, 01:59 PM   #64
Give me a forum ...

I bought the disc... but then found out my disc drive does not work on my computer... downloaded the program and assume it is the same...
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2020, 03:35 PM   #65
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5Miler View Post
Turbo Tax Federal and State currently on sale at Amazon for a limited time today. Seems to be all versions. Just picked up Premier 2020 Fed and State for $54.90.
I did the same a few days ago, except for $54.99 they included a $10 Amazon gift card
Old 12-28-2020, 09:34 PM   #66
Full time employment: Posting here.

Next time buying the download. I had a lot of trouble getting the computer to read the disc for whatever reason.
badatmath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2020, 10:59 AM   #67
Recycles dryer sheets

I received my Deluxe+State disk from Amazon today.

Install went well. When you purchase the CD, you have the option of downloading or installing from the CD. Using your activation code for either.

Since I already have a 1099R from my one month of retired pay, I entered that.

It looks like it handles Schedule D items fine. The IRS is still working on this item, so TurboTax will not allow you to enter anything.
FDC319 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2020, 04:40 PM   #68
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by mystang52 View Post
I will be getting the Deluxe (with State) TT. In the past I've gotten the disc. Is it 6 of one half dozen of another between the disc or download? Maybe stupid question, since I used disc last year will TT have that info should I get the download version?
Iím not sure about downloading TurboTax but I used the cloud-based version which works very well. If they do updates due to changing rules itís all behind the scenes so you donít have to download new software updates. Your return stays in the cloud under your account and each year the data is transferred to your new return prep. I always download a pdf of my return, e-sign online and send.
GoodLife59 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2020, 04:52 PM   #69
Recycles dryer sheets

I bought the disc but then had to use our laptop as TT no longer works on Windows 7 and that is what my desktop has.

So, the laptop didn't have a CD drive so I had to log into TT, type in the activation code and then download. So, you can do it either way!

I then had to copy last year's returns onto the laptop so I could transfer all the info.
samcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2020, 05:47 PM   #70
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodLife59 View Post
Iím not sure about downloading TurboTax but I used the cloud-based version which works very well. If they do updates due to changing rules itís all behind the scenes so you donít have to download new software updates. Your return stays in the cloud under your account and each year the data is transferred to your new return prep. I always download a pdf of my return, e-sign online and send.
That's a bridge too far for me - I know the tax returns are likely stored on IRS computer systems, but I wouldn't be comfortable with all that data also stored on Quicken's systems. There's been too many data breeches at different companies over the years. Sometimes, it just starts with a disgruntled employee.

My return would have all the family member SSN's, all the banks we use, all the investment companies, and even a list of all the individual mutual funds. Based on the dividend and capital gain information, they could easily figure out how much money we have in each fund. Etc, etc.
RetiredAt55.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2020, 06:59 PM   #71
Confused about dryer sheets

I can't seem to find a Turbo Tax Deluxe w/State "disc" on Amazon or Costco or Intuit. I usually buy from Costco, but I can only see download.

TurboTax Deluxe 2020, Federal and State Returns + Federal E-file (State E-file Additional Cost), PC Download
Item 1489866Model ITU-609550-C-ESD

★★★★★3.7
★★★★★3.7 out of 5 stars. Read reviews for TurboTax Deluxe 2020, Federal and State Returns + Federal E-file (State E-file Additional Cost), PC Download

Online Price $49.99
Less $10.00
Your Price $39.99
"E-Delivery"
$10 OFF

$10 manufacturer's savings is valid 12/25/20 through 1/24/21. While supplies last. Limit 2 per member. Terms & Conditions
RaySharpton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2020, 07:58 PM   #72
Moderator Emeritus

I'm not exactly sure what you were looking for, but is this it?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaySharpton View Post
I can't seem to find a Turbo Tax Deluxe w/State "disc" on Amazon or Costco or Intuit. I usually buy from Costco, but I can only see download.

TurboTax Deluxe 2020, Federal and State Returns + Federal E-file (State E-file Additional Cost), PC Download
Item 1489866Model ITU-609550-C-ESD

★★★★★3.7
★★★★★3.7 out of 5 stars. Read reviews for TurboTax Deluxe 2020, Federal and State Returns + Federal E-file (State E-file Additional Cost), PC Download

Online Price $49.99
Less $10.00
Your Price $39.99
E-Delivery
$10 OFF

$10 manufacturer's savings is valid 12/25/20 through 1/24/21. While supplies last. Limit 2 per member. Terms & Conditions
Old 12-29-2020, 08:04 PM   #73

TurboTax Deluxe with State CostCo

At CostCo I purchased TurboTax Deluxe Federal and State return + Federal e-file for $39.99 (after $10 off on sale) It came with a disc, but just a flat cardboard mailer like case vs. plastic. I don’t have disc drive, but was easy to download with the key provided.
JDRbole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2020, 09:47 PM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDRbole View Post
At CostCo I purchased TurboTax Deluxe Federal and State return + Federal e-file for $39.99 (after $10 off on sale) It came with a disc, but just a flat cardboard mailer like case vs. plastic. I donít have disc drive, but was easy to download with the key provided.
Thank you, JDRbole.

I have only seen the Costco Turbo Tax online and I haven't gone physically to a Costco store yet like I usually do every January.

I realize during SARS-CoV-2 more things are being done online. And fewer people using laptops with CDs.

I'm old.

Ray
Old 12-29-2020, 09:55 PM   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
I'm not exactly sure what you were looking for, but is this it?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Thank you, W2R.

I don't know why that particular page show up for me with no choice for a "Disc" that you showed me in your link.

TurboTax Deluxe 2020 Desktop Tax Software, Federal and State Returns + Federal E-file (State E-file Additional) [Amazon Exclusive] [PC/Mac "Disc"].

Ray
Old 12-30-2020, 04:50 PM   #76
Dryer sheet wannabe

CDs? How modern! I still have 3.5 inch diskettes for the 1993 Taxcut around somewhere. And I think you can still buy external drives for those cheaply. But I'm in trouble if I need to use the 5 1/4 inch "floppy disks" for my 1988 TaxCut... :-)

Now I store the downloaded H&R Block Tax (formerly TaxCut) installation files on our NAS box, which is backed up weekly to a cloud account. Much easier...
leftcoastjayhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 05:58 PM   #77
Give me a forum ...

Why would you ever need to access your 1988 tax program? I think you are safe.
Old 12-30-2020, 08:14 PM   #78
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Turbo Tax -disc or download

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Why would you ever need to access your 1988 tax program? I think you are safe.

Why would you ever need to access or reload any previous year? I never have in over 20 years of using TT. I print out a PDF of my returns and save an electronic PDF and save the Tax file to a thumb drive. Then I delete the TT program about 6-12 months later. I use the download version. I quit using the CD version. Exact same thing except it requires driving to a store.
Old 12-30-2020, 08:41 PM   #79
Give me a forum ...

Heck, I got 11 years of tax programs on my computer.... I am sure I have the CD somewhere, but have been really bad at putting things where they belong for awhile...
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 09:06 PM   #80
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al in Ohio View Post
Why would you ever need to access or reload any previous year? I never have in over 20 years of using TT. I print out a PDF of my returns and save an electronic PDF and save the Tax file to a thumb drive. Then I delete the TT program about 6-12 months later. I use the download version. I quit using the CD version. Exact same thing except it requires driving to a store.
Right, we have complete PDF copies of our returns and donít expect to have to rerun programs after a year. But DH usually makes a CD of the downloaded program with our files, and it goes with the tax records in safe deposit box. We occasionally shred old ones.