Turbo Tax online more expensive than the Box/CD

jim584672

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
My broker had a link for $20 off Turbo Tax. I started to fill it out and it said I needed to upgrade to Premier. By the time I got to the end it wanted $103 to file.

Picked up Turbo Tax Deluxe box/CD for $50. Completed the return and filed. Cost $50. The online version was twice as much for me.

Extra $ to compensate the Broker for sharing the online link:confused:

Intuit is a pretty slimy company. It doesn't surprise me in the least that they are running a bait-and-switch. I expect that someday it will be revealed that they are retaining people's tax information and have either been hacked or have been selling it.

Bought TT Premier disk & cost $55, filed.

Intuit is a pretty slimy company. It doesn't surprise me in the least that they are running a bait-and-switch. I expect that someday it will be revealed that they are retaining people's tax information and have either been hacked or have been selling it.

Could you elaborate on your statement that Intuit is a slimy company ?
I'm not defending them, but I've used TT for 18 years, & I've never had a problem. Maybe I'm missing something ?

Could you elaborate on your statement that Intuit is a slimy company ?
I'm not defending them, but I've used TT for 18 years, & I've never had a problem. Maybe I'm missing something ?
They have a multiyear track record of attempting to cheat and mislead customers, especially on the QuickBooks side but also in Quicken. A few years ago they modified the Canadian license terms surreptitiously to make the Quickbooks license expire automatically after a couple of years. They got caught at that and had to revise. Routinely in QuickBooks and in Quicken they disable features that cost them nothing to provide, forcing users who need those features to "upgrade." I wasn't using payroll so I don't remember the details but there was an episode where they were forcing people to pay for an annual upgrade simply to get an updated copy of one IRS table.

The problem with them is that Quicken and QuickBooks are arguably best-in-class software. Intuit knows it and is quick to take advantage. A year or two ago they decided they had milked Quicken as much as it could be milked so they sold it. The new owners, who are the old management team, immediately changed the pricing model so now a "subscription" will cost over $100/year. The leopard doesn't change his spots.

Re TT, it is not best-in-class software. It is simply an also-ran with H&R Block and maybe others. That is why you have not seen Intuit's true character. I use H&R Block now that my CPA has retired and my financial life is simpler. I'd never consider giving Intuit access to my tax information.

They have a multiyear track record of attempting to cheat and mislead customers, especially on the QuickBooks side but also in Quicken. A few years ago they modified the Canadian license terms surreptitiously to make the Quickbooks license expire automatically after a couple of years. They got caught at that and had to revise. Routinely in QuickBooks and in Quicken they disable features that cost them nothing to provide, forcing users who need those features to "upgrade." I wasn't using payroll so I don't remember the details but there was an episode where they were forcing people to pay for an annual upgrade simply to get an updated copy of one IRS table.

The problem with them is that Quicken and QuickBooks are arguably best-in-class software. Intuit knows it and is quick to take advantage. A year or two ago they decided they had milked Quicken as much as it could be milked so they sold it. The new owners, who are the old management team, immediately changed the pricing model so now a "subscription" will cost over $100/year. The leopard doesn't change his spots.

Re TT, it is not best-in-class software. It is simply an also-ran with H&R Block and maybe others. That is why you have not seen Intuit's true character. I use H&R Block now that my CPA has retired and my financial life is simpler. I'd never consider giving Intuit access to my tax information.

Thanks

Back
Top Bottom