Join Early Retirement Today

Turbo Tax pulled a swifty this year
Old 01-18-2014, 09:57 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Turbo Tax pulled a swifty this year

Last year I used TT Deluxe for $29.99.

This year TT found a way to increase fees without increasing the cost of their products. If you sold stocks during 2013, you must now jump up to TT Premier at a cost of $34.99, as TT Deluxe no longer includes Sch D.

EDIT: I'm using the Web Version
marc515 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-18-2014, 10:21 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Uh, no. TT Deluxe does include Schedule D.
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 10:27 AM   #3
Administrator

I believe the TT Deluxe online does not include Schedule D, the desktop version does.

Edit to add: it seems very confusing for TT to include different forms for the same product
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 10:44 AM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Tax Act is a very nice alternative. ~$18 gets me
- Federal Tax sw
- State Tax sw
- Federal e-file
- setup.exe for the above (ie software is installed locally on my machine, no web)

I switched from TT to Tax Act quite a few years ago when TT, in their misguided anti-piracy efforts, destroyed many of the Linux partitions on their customers computers. I have never looked back.

-gauss

-gauss
gauss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 11:54 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Edit to add: it seems very confusing for TT to include different forms for the same product
+1. They probably already had the discs made and in the distro channel when they made the decision to "disinclude" Schedule D from TT Deluxe. But this is the kind of thing that confuses customers and leads to dissatisfaction.

I've bought TT this year, but next year I might go back to the HR Block product (formerly known as TaxCut). It has always worked well for me and tends to be about 20% less expensive. I tried Tax Act some years ago, but had some glitches (couldn't print easily due to some configuration issues, sometimes couldn't save my work--it just wasn't as "polished" as TT or H&R Block products). YMMV.
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 12:43 PM   #6
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gauss View Post
- Federal Tax sw
- State Tax sw
- Federal e-file
- setup.exe for the above (ie software is installed locally on my machine, no web)

I switched from TT to Tax Act quite a few years ago when TT, in their misguided anti-piracy efforts, destroyed many of the Linux partitions on their customers computers. I have never looked back.

-gauss

-gauss
+1 for TaxAct here; I have been using the online version for at least eight years with no issues.
CoolChange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 03:31 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by gauss View Post
- Federal Tax sw
- State Tax sw
- Federal e-file
Very much the same deal for HR Block at Home (formerly Tax Cut). I use the basic version which inlcudes Sch D. Because I'm a repeat customer they snail-mailed me a CD this year which I used to install the federal version for $9.99. I usually don't buy my state version but since it was only $5 I d/l'ed it for the first time this year.

While my state's form is largely "enter your fed agi here" there is an annoying calculation for a "spouse credit" that requires all income to be prorated between spouses. Up until a couple of years ago the state had a web version that worked just fine, but they got rid of it in favor of making taxpayers shell out for private software.
GalaxyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 05:24 PM   #8
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalaxyBoy View Post
Up until a couple of years ago the state had a web version that worked just fine, but they got rid of it in favor of making taxpayers shell out for private software.
Good for your state not wasting taxpayer money.
gerntz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 05:40 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerntz View Post
Good for your state not wasting taxpayer money.
Probably not much of a savings. I'll bet a lot of people who formerly used the state's simple web site now mail in paper forms instead, which somebody has to read and enter.

It's crazy that US taxpayers (excluding certain low-income taxpayers) don't get "free" e-filing as a regular part of the IRS service. This was the result of a sweetheart deal between the US government and software companies, and it costs the government tons of money to handle the resulting paper returns.
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 08:28 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalaxyBoy View Post
Very much the same deal for HR Block at Home (formerly Tax Cut). I use the basic version which inlcudes Sch D. Because I'm a repeat customer they snail-mailed me a CD this year which I used to install the federal version for $9.99. I usually don't buy my state version but since it was only $5 I d/l'ed it for the first time this year.

While my state's form is largely "enter your fed agi here" there is an annoying calculation for a "spouse credit" that requires all income to be prorated between spouses. Up until a couple of years ago the state had a web version that worked just fine, but they got rid of it in favor of making taxpayers shell out for private software.
GB
How do they bill the 9.99? I switched from TT to Block last year and I thought it was better ( and cheaper). I also got the CD by mail and I chucked it into my tax folder without even looking it over. I only use the Federal version because my state (MD) has its own online efile.
Old 01-18-2014, 11:17 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

I have used the HR Block for the past three years.... but going to TT this year because of getting it free.... free is better

BTW, I have not seen an offer of less than $29 for the HR Block this year... I think I paid $15 or $20 last year....
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 11:40 PM   #12
Full time employment: Posting here.

I've used TT the last two years because I got it for free. Prior to that I had done my taxes in a spreadsheet and mailed in paper forms.

It looks as if I won't be eligible for free TT this year. I may use one of the alternatives recommended in this thread, but I also may go back to my spreadsheets or try FreeFile. I looked into FreeFile when it first became available and thought the online fillable forms were awful to the point of being unusable. But there may have been improvements over the years. If so, it would be a step up from copying my spreadsheets onto paper forms, which worked fine for me for many years.

Free File: Do Your Federal Taxes for Free
karluk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 04:34 AM   #13

I don't see much difference between regular, deluxe and premier versions this year, and regular, deluxe and premier versions last year. TurboTax has long made different grades of product for different price points.

I've tried other products, but they're not as good as TurboTax in my opinion, and the price difference isn't worth the compromise.
bUU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 05:15 PM   #14

what am I missing? just checked TT website ... both Basic and Deluxe, both Online and CD/Download, list Schedule D among their included forms.
d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 05:35 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
I have used the HR Block for the past three years.... but going to TT this year because of getting it free.... free is better

BTW, I have not seen an offer of less than $29 for the HR Block this year... I think I paid $15 or $20 last year....
I dug out the CD that Bloch sent in the mail and it says "as low as $25.95 after instant $5 coupon". I think I paid ~$20 last year for the Basic version.....Hopefully GalaxyBoy will check back in and tell us how to get a better deal. So, far I am refusing to use any online versions of the tax software even if I have to pay a bit more for a CD.
Old 01-19-2014, 05:55 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
I've tried other products, but they're not as good as TurboTax in my opinion, and the price difference isn't worth the compromise.
+1

The deluxe version is on sale $10 off in Staples and Office Max's stores so I'll probably get the CD there. For a once-a-year product I'm not going to spend hours shaving a few bucks. While the credit union that I'm a member of in MD has a good deal on the federal version, adding the WV state makes it more than the store version. Go figure.
Old 01-19-2014, 06:08 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by marc515 View Post

This year TT found a way to increase fees without increasing the cost of their products. If you sold stocks during 2013, you must now jump up to TT Premier at a cost of $34.99, as TT Deluxe no longer includes Sch D.

You're griping about a $5 increase? Must be a slow day.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 06:47 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by marc515 View Post

Did you check the all forms link in forms mode. I just checked my turbotax deluxe and it included schedule D and 8949 in the all forms list. However it did not show on the list of forms for my return. I guess they figured that until you have a cap gain, you don't need the form, so why include it in the list of forms for the file.
meierlde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 07:44 PM   #19

I think the difference is that you don't get the walk through/TT help with online deluxe for schedule d.
Old 01-19-2014, 07:48 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiki View Post
I think the difference is that you don't get the walk through/TT help with online deluxe for schedule d.
I was dealing with the CD version which is a bit more. (59.99)
meierlde is offline   Reply With Quote