Turbo Tax users preparing multiple returns...

Yes, I do.

It is their right, sure, but in a very price-sensitive consumer environment with competition that isn't playing these games, it may not be a wise long-term business decision. I know these nickel and dime games are chasing me away as a customer, and I'm quite sure I'm far from alone.

Intuit needs to prevent use of people filing returns with their software and not paying intuit for that use.

If people change to other software that is their right. Maybe they will find that software is not as good, or maybe they will find it better.

Keep in mind sometimes people prepare a joint return, then also need to do married filing seperately, and compare the tax liabilities and refunds for state purposes. As this becomes more common, maybe Intuit wants to profit from this as well.

We file only one return and will be using TT this year. No reason to re-type all the info into some new software- I have to pay for that usage anyway to some provider or another.

Another TaxCut user here. I also switched when TurboTax decided to use the invasive anti-piracy measures. It's certainly their right to do so, but it was impacting my legitimate use enough that I decided to let my dollars do the walking. My taxes are pretty simple, and TaxCut has been fine (and cheaper).

TaxAct. It handles various overseas issues correctly (most programs that I have checked in the past don't), and the price is right (free for standard).

Last time I used Tax Cut I couldn't import my tax info from Fidelity. That was only 2 or 3 years ago. Anyone know if you can now? That's why I switched to Turbo Tax.

Will TaxAct import TT info from previous years?

It looks like both the standard and deluxe only import from the prior version (TaxAct), not competitor prior version.

-- Rita

I was happy with TaxAct last year, and will use it again for 08.

thanks for the heads up! what version of TT are you using that has the one return limitation?
i just installed TT Premier 2008. i haven't started my return yet. in past years, we usually install it on the laptop, i do my taxes, then dh2b installs it on his desktop, and does his taxes.
it sounds like we might encounter a snag this year. i like the product well enough to cough up the $10, if indeed Premier requires it. my gut feel is it will not.

Intuit needs to prevent use of people filing returns with their software and not paying intuit for that use.
Not sure I agree with this. As I see it, last year Intuit charged a license use fee - now they're charging a return preparation fee. They are free to do business any way they want, but changing the nature of the product without making it clear to customers upfront is not a good way to develop a sustainable customer relationship.

If people change to other software that is their right. Maybe they will find that software is not as good, or maybe they will find it better.
This I agree with.

I changed to Tax Cut when TT wrote the famous c-dilla bug. I also use Tax Act to prepare returns for my kids. Not a whole lot of difference aside from the user interface, the choice usually boils down to using the same program again this year, unless there is a reason to change. Unless there is some new feature that gives TT an edge, seems to me they are going to antagonize some long term users in a business that has lots of competition and very low barriers to change.

Sounds like another one of those "what were they thinking" moments. An emerging Harvard Business Case Study.

Michael

I just found out that the 2008 version of Turbo Tax will charge an additional $9.95 per additional return. You can't even prepare a return without an Internet connection so they can make sure your copy/account hasn't prepared more than one return.

That's not just e-filing; that's ANY return, even printed. In the past I've e-filed our return and printed out my mom's return (and mailed it to her to sign and send in.) This year, it would cost me an extra $10 just to print out her return, and the software wouldn't let me do it until I've paid to *print* the second return.

I've been a TT user for over 10 years. But I'm done after this charge. It's bad enough that Intuit has made the Mac version of Quicken a buggy, barely supported piece of junk. Now this?

Any recommendations for other programs? I was thinking about Tax Cut. Opinions?

I haven't read every post on this thread, so you may already have your answers.

- Several years ago, Turbo Tax went to a scheme where you could only use it once. That prevented my using my copy to do my daughter's tax return as I had done for years.
- I used Tax Cut the next year. Not bad - a lot like TT but not quite as friendly.
- Last year I was able to use TT free on-line with Vanguard. Don't know if they will offer the same this year (or if my port is worth so much less that I no longer qualify.)

That's my experience. I would never try to do taxes again without a software package.

Are there any non-TT packages that will import TT last years data into this years return from my HD? For example, will this years Tax Cut import data from last years TT?

Not sure I agree with this. As I see it, last year Intuit charged a license use fee - now they're charging a return preparation fee. They are free to do business any way they want, but changing the nature of the product without making it clear to customers upfront is not a good way to develop a sustainable customer relationship.

Was the fee you are speaking of the fee you paid at the store? If so there was a license agreement you agreed to when installing- so any 2nd tax return you did was in violation of the purchase at the store.

Intuit would have two choices- raise the purchase price at store to account for the pirating (which raises my costs and I only prepare 1 return) or control who is using their software.

There are so many legal issues here- for example what if I purchase the software Feb 1 (in a store), file my returns Feb 15, then throw the CD away. On March 1 my garbage man finds the box at the dump, uses my CD and files a fraudulant return. It would not surprise me to see our legal system hold my license responsible for his fraudulant return. TT needs to protect its customers-

granted the protection I need is what you are trying to exploit.

there are many versions out there...see TurboTax® Tax Software - Compare TurboTax Online Software Products, Try for Free

i fired up my 2008 Premier, transferred my 2007 federal info, and saved my 2008 unfinished return.
i then tried to start a new return and got the $9.95 message.
i see they threw me a bone - free federal e-file for one user.
TFT, i suppose.
last time i checked, it was permissible for all members of the household to be able to use it, up to 5 returns, and not for compensation.
i will be on the phone with them tomorrow for sure. :cool:

Was the fee you are speaking of the fee you paid at the store? If so there was a license agreement you agreed to when installing- so any 2nd tax return you did was in violation of the purchase at the store.

Not that I misuse the software, but I've aways considered a license agreement I must accept in order to use software I've already purchased to be coersion and therefore invalid. I'm sure the Supreme Court would disagree with me, but they consider growing properly prescribed medical marijuana for your own use "a violation of interstate commerce", and taking private property to allow a developer to build a Costco appropriate use of eminent domain, so who cares what they think. It's a legal system, not a justice system.

There are so many legal issues here- for example what if I purchase the software Feb 1 (in a store), file my returns Feb 15, then throw the CD away. On March 1 my garbage man finds the box at the dump, uses my CD and files a fraudulant return. It would not surprise me to see our legal system hold my license responsible for his fraudulant return.

The MA Supreme Court just ruled that a limo company is liable for a drunk customer who got into a wreck and killed somebody after being dropped off (not at his car) by the limo, so you're probably right about this one.

TT needs to protect its customers-

Yeah, I'm sure that's what they were thinking.

I don't use TT. What do they consider a new tax return? Will they let you do tax planning with the one file you originally create by allowing you to do "what-if" changes to that file?

Intuit would have two choices- raise the purchase price at store to account for the pirating (which raises my costs and I only prepare 1 return) or control who is using their software.

There are so many legal issues here- for example what if I purchase the software Feb 1 (in a store), file my returns Feb 15, then throw the CD away. On March 1 my garbage man finds the box at the dump, uses my CD and files a fraudulant return. It would not surprise me to see our legal system hold my license responsible for his fraudulant return. TT needs to protect its customers-

granted the protection I need is what you are trying to exploit.

Intuit license agreement for 2007 as follows

You may: (a) install and use a copy of the Software on one or more computers owned by you (at home or at work); (b) use the Software only to prepare, print and/or electronically file up to five federal 2007 tax year returns and related state tax returns; and (c) make one backup copy of the Software for personal use as permitted under this license grant.
I cannot locate their 2008 license agreement - but clearly it has changed. Now, getting down to your post:

1. There was no violation for a 2nd tax return in 2007. Five were included in the base price.
2. Intuit has other choices - and there is/was no piracy.
3. No legal issue I can see. Your description is not how copyright law works. Under your example you have no liability nor responsibility.
4. What protection do you need? In fact, what protection does Intuit need?
5. Finally, I'm not trying to "exploit" anything.

This is not about piracy, it is about pricing. Intuit has changed the price from 1 license prepares five returns to 1 license prepares 1 return. This thread is in response to their doing that without being clear and upfront with their users.

Michael

I use Turbo Tax to do three returns for family members (buying the software at Office Depot, but filing online). This past year when we filed them, I was wondering when TT would limit the number each purchase/license would allow (didn't realize 5 were allowed). So I'm not surprised at the development to allow only one filing.

But Intuit shouldn't be too surprised when we stop using TT as a result and go to a cheaper option.

Are there any non-TT packages that will import TT last years data into this years return from my HD? For example, will this years Tax Cut import data from last years TT?
youbet, Tax Cut says they can import Turbo Tax files. I know for sure that they could a year or two ago, when I switched.

Coach

Looks like I will be switching from TT to TC. Hopefully the import process will get all of the information from TT, as I do not need an audit at this point in my life.
Hmmm... would I ever need an audit?? :D

IMHO you cannot beat this price. File 1040 & 1040ez tax forms - TaxACT 1040 Tax Form Filing
The FREE version is just that and it will work to completely file your return - you can file as many as you want FREE. Just uninstall (after saving the data file) the program and then reinstall for the next return. Or you can go a bit higher and pay for the program. Also note the bottom of this screen for 1120's and 1120S's. I have used this program for about the last 8 years without any problem. My DD used it to file a couple of years now with a pretty complex return (several K-1's, multiple employers, Schedule D's, etc.,). I am an old accountant (besides being an OAG) so I can verify the returns as accurate. I usually only do my return for the neatness of the final product.

Just uninstall (after saving the data file) the program and then reinstall for the next return.

Do you actually have to uninstall/reinstall the program, or could you just move the data files to another folder, and do another return?

Would someone please tell me if you can use Turbo Tax to play "what if"
without paying for each trial?

I recall that Turbo Tax provides a bottom line "tax owed" output as you
progress through the input screens. It seems to me that one could alter
inputs all you wish and see the tax impact.

I suppose that once you complete the report and print the output then you might not be able to start a new return without paying an additional fee.

It seems awkward but doable. Please comment if you know a better way or if my approach won't work.

Thanks and Cheers,

charlie

Would someone please tell me if you can use Turbo Tax to play "what if"
without paying for each trial?

I recall that Turbo Tax provides a bottom line "tax owed" output as you
progress through the input screens. It seems to me that one could alter
inputs all you wish and see the tax impact.

I suppose that once you complete the report and print the output then you might not be able to start a new return without paying an additional fee.

It seems awkward but doable. Please comment if you know a better way or if my approach won't work.

Thanks and Cheers,

charlie

I suspect you can do all the "what if" you desire, you just won't be able to print for filing an additional return.

Michael

I suspect you can do all the "what if" you desire, you just won't be able to print for filing an additional return.
That is my understanding as well. The fee doesn't apply to all additional returns you prepare with the software -- just the ones you print or e-file. In other words, you can "what if" to your heart's content but you can only produce one return for filing without the $10 charge per additional return.

Yes; the one year I used Tax Cut it imported all the data from my previous year's TT.

Back
Top Bottom