Turbotax 2017 Amazon available Nov 15

bizlady

Full time employment: Posting here.
Looks like TurboTax is available for preorder on Amazon and available Nov 15th.

What is your experience for getting the best price? Wait, get it after Jan.... feel like I always overpay for this.

Hopefully Fidelity offers it free to premium customers again.

Before getting it from Fidelity I waited for it to go on sale at Costco which usually matched the Amazon price.

this is going to be a rough year with property sale and all. Hope I can track down a good discount on this

I got a price watch set at $39.99 for Deluxe with State. That's about the price I'm willing to buy since TT is no longer a freebie with Vanguard. Expect price to drop down to about $39.99 near end of year.

I already bought the Block Deluxe Federal for 18.00. It is ready for download. This is a bit less than last year.

Hopefully Fidelity offers it free to premium customers again.

Hopefully. The free Turbotax is really the only benefit I see. Not that I'm complaining. I just don't need much at this point.

Last edited by a moderator:
Any indication that Vanguard might bring back free or discounted TurboTax?

Intuit wants $99 .... I'll wait until I can buy it thru a bank link
Last year I got TurboTax Deluxe plus State from Amazon on 12/29, for $39.86. While not amazingly low priced, it was lower than the current pre-order price on Amazon. IIRC that was what it cost for several weeks around that time.

Last edited:
I'm not seeing it on Fidelity.

Last year I got TurboTax Deluxe plus State from Amazon on 12/29, for $39.86. While not amazingly low priced, it was lower than the current pre-order price on Amazon. IIRC that was what it cost for several weeks around that time.

$39.86 was the price I bought TT for last year. Purchased on 12/31 to ring in the new year :).

I believe that the Fidelity version last year was the Premium edition. From a user on TurboTax website about Premium,
2017 softwate will become available in late November/early December 2017.*

Yeah, the "t" mistype is theirs. I just copy/paste.

I need premier so no real pre-season price break. Used to be Home & Business but no longer :) I also used to use TaxAct until it became to labor intensive to list all my stock / bond / option trades. I'd go back if they would import from Schwab / USAA. Until then I'm stuck with the ones that will and their discount price is better

I am thinking of switching from Turbo tax to Tax Cut this year.

Can Tax Cut import directly from my broker like Turbo does?

I have relatively uncomplicated stuff. No real estate, no business, no inheritance, deductions etc. I had to upgrade to TURBO Premier a few yrs ago which I did not appreciate. I believe I can drop back down to TURBO deluxe again but I don't trust them. Premiere seems too expensive for a few dividends and possible cap gains

I used TaxCut last year because it was around $20. It worked fine, but the one thing I really didn't like was that when you look at the summary screen, it doesn't show you which sections you have already worked on like Turbotax does. So I never knew for sure if I addressed every section. It seems like an easy thing to fix but it was very distracting for me. I think I'm going back to Turbotax this year, but I would expect the price to drop to around $40 shortly. Maybe there will be a black Friday promo on it.

I used TaxCut last year because it was around $20. It worked fine, but the one thing I really didn't like was that when you look at the summary screen, it doesn't show you which sections you have already worked on like Turbotax does. So I never knew for sure if I addressed every section. It seems like an easy thing to fix but it was very distracting for me. I think I'm going back to Turbotax this year, but I would expect the price to drop to around $40 shortly. Maybe there will be a black Friday promo on it.

If I can get TURBO for $40 bucks I'd stay with that 'cause I'm used to it

Last edited:
I am thinking of switching from Turbo tax to Tax Cut this year.

Can Tax Cut import directly from my broker like Turbo does?

I have relatively uncomplicated stuff. No real estate, no business, no inheritance, deductions etc. I had to upgrade to TURBO Premier a few yrs ago which I did not appreciate. I believe I can drop back down to TURBO deluxe again but I don't trust them. Premiere seems too expensive for a few dividends and possible cap gains
I made move from TurboTax to TaxCut (now H&R Block) last year. No problem with imports from brokers. In addition HRB also imported prior years return from TurboTax.

I know what you are saying, but you can see each section if you click on "Summary" of each of the sections, e.g. Income Summary, Adjustment Summary, Deduction Summary, etc. A summary will be displayed and show you the amount related to each of the line items. It's two step vs. one, but in TT you'd have to scroll and scroll and scroll, the HRB method is a lot less scrolling.

I made move from TurboTax to TaxCut (now H&R Block) last year. No problem with imports from brokers. In addition HRB also imported prior years return from TurboTax.

Thanks. It's looking better and better. It's probably worth trying for a year or two anyway just on general principle

Back
Top Bottom