TurboTax available on Fidelity's site

Thanks for the Fidelity links. It looks like Fidelity either likes me or at least my money. I only needed the Deluxe version. Funny that the Deluxe version cost money while the Premier version was free.....

Thanks for the Fidelity links. It looks like Fidelity either likes me or at least my money. I only needed the Deluxe version. Funny that the Deluxe version cost money while the Premier version was free.....

Right - I'd have taken the Deluxe version if it had been free.

This is unbelievable, I just paid $69 for this version, which apparently I could have gotten for free!

Attachments

• fidelity will allow turbotax premier for free!.jpg
    fidelity will allow turbotax premier for free!.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 23
For anyone that got this Turbotax Premier download from Fidelity, please let me know if you are not an Active Trader.

Even though I qualify for this offer, apparently my accounts are too complicated for the system to recognize as being eligible for this benefit. Now I'm being told I only qualify for Premier online only, not the download?!?! Kind of goofy if you asked me, so they want to limit my reimbursement to buy it manually. This has been broken for me the last two years and they're not even bothering to attempt to fix it. Thanks in advance.

For anyone that got this Turbotax Premier download from Fidelity, please let me know if you are not an Active Trader.

Even though I qualify for this offer, apparently my accounts are too complicated for the system to recognize as being eligible for this benefit. Now I'm being told I only qualify for Premier online only, not the download?!?! Kind of goofy if you asked me, so they want to limit my reimbursement to buy it manually. This has been broken for me the last two years and they're not even bothering to attempt to fix it. Thanks in advance.

Not an Active trader here.

Not an active trader

I'm not an active trader. Several years ago when I transferred some other accounts over to Fidelity I was told by a Fidelity rep that my company retirement accounts (401k & 403b) did not count towards private client status.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies. I have a more definitive response to why I don't immediately get the free Premier offer. You get Premier download if you do 500 or more trades. Since my non retirement is in a trust, the trust doesn't pass the eligibility filters. My retirement and annuity accounts also do not qualify. So I will always need to call in for a reimbursement which is limited to the online cost of $54.99, and the remainder that I paid, ~$28 would need to pass federal gifting approvals that they're required to go through. If you were able to get the download, you should feel very, very fortunate that you got it automatically! I have had to do this for two years now. I could remove all the assets in my trust and make it a joint tenancy account and wonder why I created a trust in the first place.

Not only we get the free Turbo tax premier but we also get the free dinners and drinks we get invited to periodically to attend seminars at a local country club. The next one we're attending in a couple of weeks is on "establishing and maintaining an estate plan". We already have an estate plan in place that we plan to review with our attorney at the end of March so it'll be good timing to pick up new info at the seminar.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies. I have a more definitive response to why I don't immediately get the free Premier offer. You get Premier download if you do 500 or more trades. Since my non retirement is in a trust, the trust doesn't pass the eligibility filters. My retirement and annuity accounts also do not qualify. So I will always need to call in for a reimbursement which is limited to the online cost of $54.99, and the remainder that I paid, ~$28 would need to pass federal gifting approvals that they're required to go through. If you were able to get the download, you should feel very, very fortunate that you got it automatically! I have had to do this for two years now. I could remove all the assets in my trust and make it a joint tenancy account and wonder why I created a trust in the first place.

Do you need premier, or can you get away with deluxe?

Deluxe may work, but I didn't do a lot of research on it since I've been repeatedly told that I fully qualify for the Premier download or reimbursed for any costs if I had to buy it myself. This is two years in a row for me dealing with the "work around" of qualifying/not qualifying, it was much easier when they just mailed it out. After waiting almost two months of "researching" the problem, I decided to purchase the Premier version. Now I get the purchase limit story line which I didn't get last year.

I got the free Premier download this year and last year, thanks to your suggestion that I talk to my Fidelity rep about it. His comment was just "Oh, sure. I'll put your name on the list; didn't know you used it."

However, my experience is that for my purposes there is no advantage to Premier over Deluxe (now that they've put it back to the way it was). My tax return doesn't have anything exotic in it, but I've looked at it a lot and can't find any instances of anything Premier does better than Deluxe.

I just went to fidelity.com to check this out, and they'll give me Premier for free (even the state is free, according to their web site).

I've used taxact the last several years - can TT import last year's data from taxact?

I just went to fidelity.com to check this out, and they'll give me Premier for free (even the state is free, according to their web site).

I've used taxact the last several years - can TT import last year's data from taxact?

Not sure about taxact but it imported my H&R block taxcut data.

Not sure about taxact but it imported my H&R block taxcut data.

Thanks.

I should add - I've been using the online version of taxact, so I don't have data files locally. TT would need to import it from a PDF.

Update - I was offered the $54.99 on 2/17 and my own rep would get me the remaining $27+ owed. I saw the $54.99 deposited then withdrawn on 2/17, deposited and withdrawn again to another of my accounts on 2/18 and an email from my rep that I would get a phone call today to followup on the reimbursement. I get my call today from an assistant and I was offered a $100 restaurant gift card of my choice in lieu of the $82.49. This took us by surprise as this must be the workaround the federal gifting rules, gift card instead of money? Exchange a restaurant gift card for the cost of the Turbotax? Now I feel like I'm getting the infomercial raingutter estimate where they give you a gift voucher from restaurant.com!

Back
Top Bottom