Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-15-2015, 07:28 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Thanks. I am probably in the same situation as you, and there was a definition change. My rep said I should qualify for it free, but the website still won't let me get it that way. He offered to reimburse me instead.

Rather than hassle with it, I just bought it from Amazon. Like last year, my poor planning means I have a refund coming, so I'll use the Amazon 10% bonus to pay for Turbotax.

However, I also bought a copy of TaxAct, and I plan to do my taxes in both systems side-by-side this year to compare. Next year I might just forget about TT entirely and use the much cheaper TaxAct instead.
You're welcome. Hopefully you asked Fidelity for the reimbursement. If you haven't opened up TaxAct yet, I would recommend contacting HR Block and ask them to send you their software, it's a free download once you send them proof of Turbotax purchase. Why pay for an alternate tax software if you don't have to?
Dimsumkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-15-2015, 09:01 AM   #22

Quote:

However, I also bought a copy of TaxAct, and I plan to do my taxes in both systems side-by-side this year to compare. Next year I might just forget about TT entirely and use the much cheaper TaxAct instead.
I've been using TaxAct since '98 and it's been fine by me. If you don't care about importing last years data, the FED version is free ( web or download )
rbmrtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 04:26 PM   #23

After many years of using Turbotax Deluxe I just downloaded TaxAct. TurboTax shenanigans this year really got to me. My wife has a tiny income from a hobby farm so I can't even use the free Premier download from Vanguard ( no schedule F) and I'd be forced to use the Home and Business version which is over $80 . This fine performance by the folks at Intuit also has me looking at alternatives for Quicken which I've used since the early DOS version.
ejman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 04:31 PM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I do need Schedule D this year and that is all that would require me to have Premier so I just said "no" and bought HR Block Deluxe instead. I also decided not to update Quicken and just use YNAB (Before I was using both). HR Block so far looks fine and I imported last year's TT data so I'm happy with the change.
Katsmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 04:35 PM   #25
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
I misunderstood all the warnings on this site and thought that the Deluxe edition just didn't allow e-filing of Schedule D and that it still had schedule D functionality if you wanted to file the paper version. I bought it from Costco. Of course the thing stopped dead when I indicated that I had capital gains and losses and I had to pay $30 to upgrade.

When Costco sent me an e-mail asking me to review the product, I was happy to comply. Also happy to see that nearly every review so far is a paraphrase of mine: "doesn't do what it did last year, had to pay extra if I wanted the same functionality, returning the product (or going to a competitor next year)".

I hope a few heads roll at Intuit over this but I'm not holding my breath.
I noticed Premier was $55 at Costco this week which was cheaper than expected.

Now that we downloaded Premier for free following the Fidelity link, I don't intend to pay for it ever again!
Old 01-17-2015, 04:34 AM   #26

Quote:
My rep said I should qualify for it free, but the website still won't let me get it that way. He offered to reimburse me instead.
Obviously, the correct approach was simply to wait.
I just went back into my Fidelity account and they have apparently fixed the website glitch. I was able to download TurboTax Premier for free.
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
turbotax