TurboTax For Vanguard Members

With the last minute tax deal from Congress, don't forget to get latest updates for TT....or whatever tax software you use.

+1 But actually, TT won't let you file electronically unless you have the latest updates.

Not to hijack the thread, but Fido Private Clients can get any version of Turbo Tax refunded by their Private Client AE. I scanned the receipt and sent to my AE and a few days later the funds were in my cash account. Other Fido users can get discounts (generally about 25% off list) but like others have commented Costco and others usually beat them during their Jan promos
Nwsteve

Apparently turbotax is free for Fidelity customers, not limited to Private Client. Here's a thread I just started on it: http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f28/fidelity-offers-free-turbotax-premier-64912.html

After reading the TT boxes for the different versions I am a little confused. Wife is on SS with a couple of very small pensions and I just retired. We have investments in mutual funds in Vanguard and TRPrice (taxable, 403b, tIRA, and rothIRA) and stocks as well as bank accounts that give interest. The description on the TT boxes make me think I need the Premier version even though we are in the 15% tax bracket. Which version do I need? Would it be best to get the CD version instead of downloading?

Cheers!

Last edited:
I have Premier but I think Basic would probably do for you (or even for me for that matter). I have used the download for years and no problems since you can reload the software at will if you need to as a result of a hard drive failure, change in computers or whatever.

I have Premier but I think Basic would probably do for you (or even for me for that matter). I have used the download for years and no problems since you can reload the software at will if you need to as a result of a hard drive failure, change in computers or whatever.

+1

I used the free (Flagship) edition and had a problem with the Vanguard imported piece (1099DIv etc). I had to delete all of the VG imports and reenter them manually. Not sure if it was a problem with the imported data or the TT online edition, but it took me a while to figure it out.

I used the free (Flagship) edition and had a problem with the Vanguard imported piece (1099DIv etc). I had to delete all of the VG imports and reenter them manually. Not sure if it was a problem with the imported data or the TT online edition, but it took me a while to figure it out.

I have the installed version of TT and had the same, or similar, issue. Ended up typing them in.

I had the same problem. You guys were not alone! I "Googled" the error and discovered that it is a glitch in TT's programming. I kind of figured that since I looked at the form after downloading my data from Vanguard. There were a lot of blank lines above and below the entries which caused the errors.

This should help all you other TurboTax victims:
https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1...ion-manually-and-still-receive-the-same-error

Last edited:
What version of TT do you all use ? I can't understand the differences.

I'm guessing Premier is fine. Wife has a consulting business/ 1099 income - that doesn't necessarily require "Home and Business", does it ?

I dread every year trying to remember which TT I need and sorting through all the "deals"....

Thanks !!!

I'm guessing Premier is fine. Wife has a consulting business/ 1099 income - that doesn't necessarily require "Home and Business", does it ?

I dread every year trying to remember which TT I need and sorting through all the "deals"....

Thanks !!!
I use TT Deluxe because it's free from Vanguard. I assume you've seen this...

Attachments

• CompChartLarge._V165198381_.jpg
    CompChartLarge._V165198381_.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 18

+1

There is a point, for me, at which it suggests an update (costing money) which I decline.

Thanks !!!
No matter what version of TT you use to begin your return (unless you are using the absolute top-of-the-line). TT will attempt to upsell many times as you do your return.

Thanks for chart. TT Deluxe still handles Schedule C -so I don't think "Home and Business" is an absolute requirement for someone with their own business.

Thanks !

No matter what version of TT you use to begin your return (unless you are using the absolute top-of-the-line). TT will attempt to upsell many times as you do your return.

I hate this w/ TT. I use deluxe but have some employee stock option and rsu transactions that I have to enter and its constantly recommending premier to me, even though I don't need it.

I had the same problem. You guys were not alone! I "Googled" the error and discovered that it is a glitch in TT's programming. I kind of figured that since I looked at the form after downloading my data from Vanguard. There were a lot of blank lines above and below the entries which caused the errors.

This should help all you other TurboTax victims:
https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1...ion-manually-and-still-receive-the-same-error

I'm not computer savy and I'm lucky to be able to turn it on and get to the forum.

I read from the link above that the problem might be resolved around the 7th of this month. I would like to download a properly working program. If I had to try and make changes I would probably give up and do what I have been doing for the last few years and ask volunteers from AARP to do my taxes.

Does anyone know if the problem has been corrected?

Cheers!

I'm not computer savy and I'm lucky to be able to turn it on and get to the forum.

I read from the link above that the problem might be resolved around the 7th of this month. I would like to download a properly working program. If I had to try and make changes I would probably give up and do what I have been doing for the last few years and ask volunteers from AARP to do my taxes.

Does anyone know if the problem has been corrected?

Cheers!

I didn't bother to wait - I simply typed in the numbers - much faster than checking every few days for a solution.

Tax software is now mostly "free" but when you file and you want to file electronically, that's where they get their money.

I tried one of the online services one year but then learned that they will only retain 3 years of returns against your account. You could save your returns to PDF but if you have to go back and amend?

I got the Premier version for $10 instead of the Deluxe for free. Premier supposedly has more info. for investments. Probably marketing speak. But for $10, how can you go wrong.

IIRC, the federal e-file is free but the state will cost you. I can mail it in.

Back
Top Bottom