Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Turbotax or Taxcut ??????
Old 01-18-2006, 07:29 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

We use TurboTax at home. A colleague of mine bought TaxCut a couple years ago and asked me to help him do his taxes at home. So I got chance then to use TaxCut. I vote for TurboTax ... it just suited my style better.

I use TurboTax throughout the year to ask "What if?". One can use "SaveAs..." after making changes and keep these different scenarios around. For example, "What if I pay my 2005 property taxes in Jan2006 instead of Dec2005?"
I have found running scenarios has helped avoid AMT.

One thing I do not like is that in my area, TurboTax Deluxe is sold and not TT basic. With the deluxe version you pay for state return software. Only problem is that Texas has no state income tax and thus no need for the superfluous software.
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-19-2006, 10:29 AM   #22
Give me a forum ...

God bless Texas!!

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 07:05 PM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

I just bought Tax Cut, including the state tax program, for 19.99, at WalMart.

Better deal than I could get from Vanguard and better than from the other discount dealers in my area. It really is amazing, what some companies charge, for like services At Best Buy and Circuit City, they want 24.95 and up, for the same package.

Just thought, I'd pass this on. Don't think, I've ever used Tax Cut before. Seems to be just as good as TT, for basic ,uncomplicated returns.

As long as it gets me thru the &%@*^ mess with AMT, I'll be happy!

What a bag of %#@*&, that wonderful program is!!

The fun, is explaning how it works, to the DW
Sundance Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 09:04 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Here ya go
http://www.fatwallet.com/t/18/570405/

Taxcut, federal only no state, $19.99 with a $5 off coupon and a $15 "easy rebate" staples gift card back, making it free.

Might be able to buy it with Money at the same time to get Money free after rebate.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 09:21 PM   #25
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ()
Taxcut, federal only no state, $19.99 with a $5 off coupon and a $15 "easy rebate" staples gift card back, making it free.
Why would you prefer this to the free version I posted above? No rebates, coupons, etc.
wabmester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 09:23 PM   #26
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

I used wab's link to download Taxcut yesterday. Yep, the price is right.

Old 01-20-2006, 10:10 PM   #27

Been using TT for at least 5 years and other than Intuit's bonehead move a couple of years ago trying to control software use, I have found it reliable and easy to use including handling rental property and self employed expenses.
Costco has a coupon book special this week for $10 off their shelf price of $28 for the Deluxe version
nwsteve
nwsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 10:15 PM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets

I just downloaded the free TaxCut standard (thanks wab!).
I've used TaxCut for about 3 years and TurboTax before that.

I had a problem during installation of the free TaxCut download, but the FAQ page says if that occurs, to download a font patch from them, restart the computer and try again. (I'm going to do that after I finish this message.)

Anyway - yesterday I also found another free tax software option - TaxAct at taxact.com

I saw it mentioned on bankrate.com or someplace.
The functionality is similar to TurboTax and TaxCut "caveman-basic" editions.

It provides another free option for comparison, if you can handle the in-program ads
every other page asking if you want to upgrade for $12.95.

Now I have to decide which one I'm actually going to file with.

just_hatched is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 10:31 PM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm just scared of offers, that are "FREE." Last time I got something for "FREE,"
Cost me 1,300 and danm near a marriage.

Seriously, I just don't like downloading free stuff, off the internet. Just me and my naturally consertive upbringing.

Have a good day!
Sundance Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 10:41 PM   #30

Yeah, I can understand being sceptical of a free lunch, but this TaxCut offer seems legit. They'll send you a CD if you prefer not to download. They ask you for your email address and some other stuff, but they don't appear to validate it (not that I would ever lie about such a thing, of course).

They obviously hope you'll buy the state version or some other upsell, but for those of us living in states with no income tax, it's basically a FREE LUNCH!
wabmester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2006, 07:47 AM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wab
Why would you prefer this to the free version I posted above? No rebates, coupons, etc.
A bunch of reasons:

One is that a lot of people would rather have the disks in their hands for 3 years from now when the IRS sends a letter and you have to reinstall the s/w. Granted a smart person can burn their own disks if they have the burner and the blanks and remember to do it. A smarter person might know that cd-r blanks sometimes go south on you after 3-5 years while a manufactured cd should remain readable for 10+ years even under poor conditions. Granted they'll send you cd's if you pay them five bucks.

Some people are on dialup or a slow DSL dont have the bandwidth to download a huge file.

You also have to give them your name, address, phone #, email and so forth to do the download. Not everyone really wants to end up on every snail and email spam list on the planet.

Also, this is the Deluxe version; the free download is the Standard version.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2006, 08:05 AM   #32

Our accountant has gotten tres expensive and I'm retired now, so I'm finally seriously considering doing our own taxes--my husband isn't, so I'm on my own here. That must sound funny to the rest of you, but neither of us has native talent or learned skills in financial matters--other than LBYM and paying our bills in full...and usually on time (we're not very organized either...probably related skills...2 INTPs, accent on the Ns and Ps).

Neither of us has done our own taxes for 30 years, since we were in our 20s, didn't own property or investments, and used the short form. We have most of our loot in taxable accounts, so there's a fair bit of complexity to deal with (why our accountant charges so much), but there's no rental property or anything else interesting (I think...). Can someone who can barely balance a checkbook (but never bothers to) use TurboTax? Is it wizard-like, prompting and walking you through ecverything, or is it like a spreadsheet, where you need a deep understanding in order to even know what info is needed?

=Nervous (Clueless) Nellie
Old 01-21-2006, 08:21 AM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by astromeria
Neither of us has done our own taxes for 30 years, since we were in our 20s,
Can someone who can barely balance a checkbook (but never bothers to) use TurboTax? Is it wizard-like, prompting and walking you through ecverything, or is it like a spreadsheet, where you need a deep understanding in order to even know what info is needed?
TT is wizard-like and not at all a spread sheet to the use.

The best way to answer whether you can do this or not is to try it. If you can, then no accountant fees. If you can't, then find another accountant. I can imagine that most of the accountant fee is getting your stuff organized if it shows up in a shoebox. If anything, trying TT might help you get more organized for the accountant.

It would be more work, but you could also re-do last year's taxes with last year's information and see how it compares to what the accountant did.

Also based on what you wrote " ... short form. ... taxable acccounts, .... no rental property " I cannot imagine that you have any complexity at all. You are mostly copying numbers from statements into TT.
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2006, 09:18 AM   #34

Quote:
Neither of us has done our own taxes for 30 years, since we were in our 20s,
Me too, I have been using a reliable accounting firm for years. They are pretty inexpensive.
They have offices worldwide, I highly recommend them, the firm's name is TT Intuit.

MJ
Old 01-22-2006, 08:37 AM   #35

Thanks--I'm trying to get my courage up!
Old 01-24-2006, 03:47 PM   #36

Quote:
Thanks--I'm trying to get my courage up!
Hi Astro,

If you have the time and inclination to dump the CPA do your own taxes, here is what I did.

Take your last return as prepared by your paid porfessional (presumably 2004). Go on Ebay and buy the 2004 and 2005 Turbo Tax deluxe versions. Copy the pro's data into the 2004 software. When you're satisfied (when the numbers come out right or very close), migrate the data into your '05 version and plug in the interest and dividend info and you should be about done.