Join Early Retirement Today

Turbotax state filing cost
Old 02-02-2018, 03:33 PM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

Anyone know what TurboTax is charging this year to file state returns electronically?

bizlady is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-02-2018, 03:39 PM   #2

I think it was $19.95 or $19.99. I printed and snail-mailed it, but when this topic came up last year someone pointed out that paying it would save him ~45 minutes standing in line at the post office. If that's the case where you live it changes the equation and I'd likely pay it too.

Where I live if there's a line at all it's one or two people.

Old 02-02-2018, 07:38 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Last year, I found out that Colorado has a very easy online filing website that is free. I also have an account with them so I can pay taxes online with no additional charges.
TT did the calcs and I just entered the data.. very easy.
Check out your state tax web site.
walkinwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 09:33 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkinwood View Post
Last year, I found out that Colorado has a very easy online filing website that is free. I also have an account with them so I can pay taxes online with no additional charges.

This.
MD has a program called iFile but I never see or hear any promotion for it. None of my friends or relatives seem to be aware of it either. I've often wondered how many other states have similar programs that are under utilized. Might be helpful if others take walkinwood's suggestion to check their home state and post the results. Many members here seem to be highly motivated to save on tax prep. Our state let's you file early and sends out refunds within 3 days. If you owe you can still file early and they draw the payment just before the deadline.
Old 02-03-2018, 06:36 AM   #5

I like taxhawk. federal is free and 12.95 for state but you can get a 25% off coupon on the internet just about anywhere, so ends up being 9 and change for fed and state. good software. check it out. but I also saw in my incoming mail today that turbo tax is free to all states and federal is free if you meet the guidelines.
frank is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 06:38 AM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

Delaware has a pretty easy (free) online tax program. I do my taxes including Delaware in TT. Print out the state then re-enter the information in the state's tax program and hit enter. Saves the 19.95 and takes about 15 minutes
jwkde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 08:10 AM   #7

And depending on income, especially those that optimize for ACA credits, don't forget
https://www.irs.gov/filing/free-file...taxes-for-free

I just did my BFs through the link to get the Free Turbo Tax version and state was also free to file so it cost me absolutely nothing which surprised me because he had small business expenses which I figured would trigger a fee.

I'm waiting on vanguard statements, but it said I'd be able to file absolutely free too...we shall see. If not Capital One said they had free tax filing so we shall see.
karen1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 08:34 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
I think it was $19.95 or $19.99. I printed and snail-mailed it, but when this topic came up last year someone pointed out that paying it would save him ~45 minutes standing in line at the post office. If that's the case where you live it changes the equation and I'd likely pay it too.

Where I live if there's a line at all it's one or two people.
Don't wait until the last day to mail it. I mailed mine... just put stamps and thru it in the box. But you do need to pay stamps.
bingybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 09:33 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwkde View Post
Delaware has a pretty easy (free) online tax program. I do my taxes including Delaware in TT. Print out the state then re-enter the information in the state's tax program and hit enter. Saves the 19.95 and takes about 15 minutes

How does that work? Which version of TT lets you compute your state tax without paying ? Or are you saying it only charges if you exile the state return?

Just finished the MD iFile and wished I could import data from the 1040 instead of copying.

FWIW the HR Bloch state upgrade is 39.95 but I only paid ~20 for basic Federal w/ 5 free exiles.
Old 02-05-2018, 09:57 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazz4cash View Post
How does that work? Which version of TT lets you compute your state tax without paying ? Or are you saying it only charges if you exile the state return?
Most versions of TTax that come on a disc or for download include free software for one state. They only charge for e-filing the state forms. Here's a link to the Amazon purchase page where you can click on the various disc or download options and see which ones include state software.

https://www.amazon.com/TurboTax-Delu...pSrc=srch&th=1
cathy63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 10:21 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkinwood View Post
I always have used the Colorado Revenue site, even when it was less user friendly. I used the TT free download to check my results, but never paid TT to file the Colorado taxes.

A few years ago, I received a letter from the State of Colorado that I had not filed my return from several years previous. I had saved the printout of the webpages from the Colorado tax site for that year with the confirmation of filing message. So I sent that in and the issue went away. I feel that if I had used a different method of filing that the State might not have believed me so readily.

Now that I'm in New Mexico, they only allow on-line filing if you have filed before, so that rules out first year filers from submitting online.

"We live the lives we lead because of the thoughts we think" ...Michael O’Neill
"We can cannot compel others to do our will" ....Norman Goldman
"There never is shortage of the gullible to accept the illogical"...Anonymous
timo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 10:52 AM   #12

For Colorado residents, here is the link to file state taxes
https://www.colorado.gov/revenueonline
walkinwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 10:57 AM   #13

FWIW: Did DD's taxes with them and she just needed info on her CDL to efile for free. She inputs that .... wish I could get her to do the forms too as I 'guessed' on the HOH form (it insisted on taking eldest kid for linkage instead of 12 yo. I knew 12 yo's info & that 20 yo is FT college student / not sure of his exact income as he cannot get W2 from shuttered x-employer). So it doesn't ALWAYS cost to efile state

mine does but I don't want to be bothered. .... just want it to be done when I'm done
gayl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 11:00 AM   #14
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

$19.99, thru TurboTax. There's a third party that provides free eFiling in our state for low income households, they charge $12.95 to everyone else. So I eFile Fed and snail mail state at the last possible minute so our return is lost in the pile. I'd have to assume eFiling would streamline the state dept of revenue work process, so it ought to be "free" IMO (built into tax structure), but I suspect I know why it's not...

Target AA: 45% equity funds / 30% bond funds / 25% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 03:03 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by bingybear View Post
Don't wait until the last day to mail it. I mailed mine... just put stamps and thru it in the box. But you do need to pay stamps.
Yes, that's why I took it to the P.O. since I had no idea what the postage would be. It's right down the street from the grocery store where we were going to stop in anyway.
Old 02-05-2018, 05:29 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by cathy63 View Post
Most versions of TTax that come on a disc or for download include free software for one state. They only charge for e-filing the state forms. Here's a link to the Amazon purchase page where you can click on the various disc or download options and see which ones include state software.

https://www.amazon.com/TurboTax-Delu...pSrc=srch&th=1

So it looks like the TT Fed +State version is $10 more than Fed only. That's a good deal but not free like I thought jwde was saying.
Old 02-05-2018, 08:17 PM   #17

I'm not eligible to efile federal or state taxes because we are married filing separately. I have no idea why they created this limitation.
Ready is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 05:28 AM   #18

$19.99.

DEC-1982 is offline   Reply With Quote