TY 2008 Tax Rates

BOBOT

Recycles dryer sheets
Need some help from the tax mavens out there.I thought this info would be easy to find, but I didn't get definitive answers from a cursory google search.

What is the status of cap gains and dividends next year? I think I've heard that they are largely exempt from taxation next year only, at least for lower brackets.

And a related question - when figuring one's bracket for the purpose of determining cap gains taxes, does your bracket include the gains? IOW, if your earned income puts you in a lower bracket but including cap gains (and divs) puts you in a higher bracket, how will the cap gains tax if any be figured?

And if we do get a break on cap gains next year, do you think there will be a lot of selling pressure on the market as people rush to take advantage?

Here is a tax matrix that was posted on this site a few months ago.

Attachments

• Tax_matrix.pdf
    23.5 KB · Views: 82
Check out IRS Site. Instructions and Form 1040ES may provide the best easily found current information along with Publication 505.

And a related question - when figuring one's bracket for the purpose of determining cap gains taxes, does your bracket include the gains?

Yes

if your earned income puts you in a lower bracket but including cap gains (and divs) puts you in a higher bracket, how will the cap gains tax if any be figured?

If your divs/cap gains put you into the 25% (or higher) bracket, that portion will be taxed at 15%. The portion that "fills up" the 10% and 15% bracket will be taxed at 0%

Back
Top Bottom