Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-22-2017, 07:43 PM   #61
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

2012 Ford Explorer Limited - bought new. This is my primary vehicle and DH and I use it most of the time when we go places. We bought this car in late 2011. We will probably replace it in a few years to get a smaller SUV.

2013 Hyundai Veloster - bought new. This is DH's primary vehicle. It is a fun car and we've enjoyed it. However, this is a small car and I generally like the SUV more than a regular car.

As for how long we keep cars. The last several cars we had:

2008 Toyota Prius - given to our son. He used it through college and is still using it. It has almost 200k miles on it. He plans to replace it soon. We replaced this with the Explorer. So we used it about 4 years and DS has used it several years since then.

2006 (?) Nissan Quest - We replaced this with the Velsoter in 2012. This vehicle went to our other son.

Two other cars we had before those we drove for several years.
Katsmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-22-2017, 07:55 PM   #62
Give me a forum ...

The first car I bought was a 1986 Dodge Colt (Mitsubishi Mirage) I bought new in April of 1986. I paid cash for it and the car lacked A/C, had manual transmission, and no power steering. I didn't drive much back then, using the train to go to work.

In early 1996, I traded it in as part of a cash purchase of a 1991 Geo Prizm (Toyota Corolla). The car was used, a former rental car with only 10k rental miles on it, pretty low. I happened to rent a 1991 Prizm in early 1991 when I went on vacation, so I had a good test drive with it. That car lasted another 15 years and I put another 50k miles on it. It had A/T, P/S, and A/C. I later replaced the radio-only with a radio-cassette player.

I traded it in when I bought a 2007 Corolla CE (the lowest model) new in early 2007, paying cash. Ten 1/2 years later, I still own it. It has 32k miles on it. It has a CD player but I never bought any music CDs so it has been unused the whole time while my old music cassettes gather dust.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 08:10 PM   #63
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclemick View Post
2006 Equinox, 228k miles
2013 Silverado 48k miles

Heh heh heh - The Silverado came with Farm. And then and then are the 1972 Chevy 10 wheel C 60 complete with a 25 foot hydraulic lift boom, a 454 Chevy 1983 Flatbed, Kawasaki and Echo ATV's, Five Tractors and a 1958 John Deere bulldozer which I've gotten to start but haven't had nerve enough to drive yet.

P.S. My Wife has a Honda Fit 2012 - a sensible 'city car.'
I just gave my 1966 C60 dump truck to my favorite charity. A friend and I owned it for several years.

I have a 2013 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited as a daily driver - 60000 miles and bought new. A 2004 Audi TT with 67000 miles bought used with 34000 miles. A 1992 F250 with 162000 miles bought used about 6 years ago as a beat up plow truck and is still a beat up plow truck.
Hermit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 08:20 PM   #64
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndnguy822000 View Post
How long do you keep your vehicles and what type of vehicle do you drive.
Not again... OK, my daily drivers are seldom more than 2 years old. Usually about 18 months. (My current favorite is a 2017 Grand Cherokee SRT which I've had for about 7 months now and it has 12k miles on it already.) My collectables are all more than 40 years old and I'm not going to list them again. No particular favorite, I like them all.
Car-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 02:36 PM   #65
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-Guy View Post
Not again... OK, my daily drivers are seldom more than 2 years old. Usually about 18 months. (My current favorite is a 2017 Grand Cherokee SRT which I've had for about 7 months now and it has 12k miles on it already.) My collectables are all more than 40 years old and I'm not going to list them again. No particular favorite, I like them all.
How has the Jeep been for reliability?
Old 08-23-2017, 07:01 PM   #66

Hi Everyone...I haven't posted for awhile.
Anyway, I still have my 98 Honda Civic that I purchased new. The odometer stopped when it reached 230,000. It just keeps going and going, and is perfect for our windy country roads. If I travel, I can always rent a car.
antmary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 07:05 PM   #67
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by antmary View Post
Hi Everyone...I haven't posted for awhile.
Anyway, I still have my 98 Honda Civic that I purchased new. The odometer stopped when it reached 230,000. It just keeps going and going, and is perfect for our windy country roads. If I travel, I can always rent a car.
Happy to hear from you again, antmary. Those Hondas are certainly built to last. We've had Accords and Civics for many years and been very pleased with them.
Old 08-23-2017, 08:17 PM   #68
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredGypsy View Post
I'm on my second one. A 2015 and now a 2017, both daily drivers. Zero problems, never had the need to put either one in the shop. Just add gas and go.
Old 08-23-2017, 08:35 PM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredGypsy View Post
Its a Jeep. That means it is made by Chrysler. That should say all you need to know.

PS. I have a Jeep Wrangler Rubicon for my daily driver. It will do things other vehicles cannot. But it is a Jeep. Not the most reliable vehicle I could buy IMO.

List of problems so far (60,000 miles):
- Starter replaced
- Sway bar disconnect out at 20,000 miles (very common, thousands to replace)
- Battery replaced (4 yrs is reasonable, but less than other new cars I have owned)
- Throttle sticky especially at low speeds (misdiagnosed by dealer)
- Cruise control module replaced (dealer clueless - couldn't fix)
Hermit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 04:15 AM   #70
Recycles dryer sheets

2007 Cadillac DTS -- 110K miles. Currently driven about 3K miles a year. Only uses are tailgating at college football games 13 miles north, and occasional grocery store runs. Could probably do just fine without an owned car altogether, and might just try that. Would save money by ditching the car, but would feel odd since I've owned at least one at a time for the last 45 years.
1-31-18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 05:04 AM   #71
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
I'm on my second one. A 2015 and now a 2017, both daily drivers. Zero problems, never had the need to put either one in the shop. Just add gas and go.
I've put 65,000 miles on my 2014 SRT Grand Cherokee. Two sets of brakes and lots of tires. No other dealer service other than a handful of recalls.
bigcmagor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 06:42 AM   #72
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigcmagor View Post
I've put 65,000 miles on my 2014 SRT Grand Cherokee. Two sets of brakes and lots of tires. No other dealer service other than a handful of recalls.
My biggest complaint with the SRT's is the brake dust. The pads in those Brembo's are super dusty. I haven't had to change out the pads yet (don't keep cars that long) but I've considered it just to reduce the dust levels. Anyway, they really do stop great. I did see a recall on the 2015 SRT's to modify the shrift leaver but I personally liked it the way it worked, so I never took it in for the modification.

After thinking about this, I do recall one minor problem on the 2015 model. One day the UConnect seem to go crazy. Lot's of erroneous readings. Anyway, the next time I stop and restarted the car (in effect rebooting the UConnect system) everything worked fine. I guess that's to be expected in these highly computerized vehicles.
Old 08-24-2017, 07:24 AM   #73
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
My biggest complaint with the SRT's is the brake dust. The pads in those Brembo's are super dusty. I haven't had to change out the pads yet (don't keep cars that long) but I've considered it just to reduce the dust levels. Anyway, they really do stop great. I did see a recall on the 2015 SRT's to modify the shrift leaver but I personally liked it the way it worked, so I never took it in for the modification.

After thinking about this, I do recall one minor problem on the 2015 model. One day the UConnect seem to go crazy. Lot's of erroneous readings. Anyway, the next time I stop and restarted the car (in effect rebooting the UConnect system) everything worked fine. I guess that's to be expected in these highly computerized vehicles.
Are you SRT guys putting in your order for the new 707 HP Grand Cherokee Trackhawk? What a beast!!! I would think about it if I lived in a rural area where I would ever get to enjoy it.
Sittinginthesun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 07:35 AM   #74
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sittinginthesun View Post
Are you SRT guys putting in your order for the new 707 HP Grand Cherokee Trackhawk? What a beast!!! I would think about it if I lived in a rural area where I would ever get to enjoy it.
I've already talked to my local dealer. They said they would start taking orders last Thursday but no firm delivery dates yet. (I suspect an October delivery date at this time) The base sticker price is 85k so I expect what I'd want loaded on mine will be in the mid 90's. Maybe even more initially as they may want to charge a premium until their stock builds up. I think I'm going to wait until they are out a few months before buying to see if the AWD can hold up to all that power.
Old 08-24-2017, 09:10 AM   #75

2015 Mazda CX-5 (18,000)

2010 Toyota RAV4 (84,000)

2005 Toyota Tundra Crew Cab (just turned 100,000)
Old 08-24-2017, 11:25 AM   #76

2004 Ford Sport Trac with 130K miles. Great vehicle!

2005 Toyota Solara Convertible with 80K miles. HUGE back seat and trunk since the top does not go down into the trunk. "The Minnow" for its looks, or "German Staff Car" because of the size of the back seat.

2010 Saab 9-3 Convertible with 30K miles. Bright red, fast, handles incredibly well. Zero issues!! Probably gonna sell it and keep The Minnow (because of the full back seat and full trunk).

2017 Chevy (High Country) Silverado 1/2 ton truck. Designated replacement for the Sport Trac (bigger boat to tow). Gets 25 MPG on highway at 75 MPH with the 8 to 4 cylinder changeover when steady state or going down hills. Likely our long distance vehicle, as well.

Son 2 has a Camry we gave him in high school. Has 210K on it now. Replaced timing belt and water pump at 120K (is a non-interference engine). He replaced front and rear struts, brake pads, shoes (yep), and rotors. Tires every 50-60K. Oh yeah, we pulled valve cover and chipped and vacuumed out the coked on oil gunk - large coffee can full. Door handle wore out and he replaced it. Good mechanic for a musician - check out Atlanta Symphony.

Son 1 has a Accord we gave him after college graduation. Has 90K on it now. Never been to a dealer. Working his little MBA butt off :-)
stephenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 11:37 AM   #77
Dryer sheet wannabe

2004 Ford F-150 (93k miles)
2009 Toyota Sienna (118k miles)

I take a commuter express bus to work so I only drive the F-150 3 miles round trip to the park n ride each day.
WIBuckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 11:41 AM   #78

I am still driving a 1998 Camry bought when it was 3 years old.
Old 08-24-2017, 12:09 PM   #79
Recycles dryer sheets

My wife drives a 2002 Dodge Durango, purchased new in late 2001. Has approximately 90,000 miles on it, still runs great and is in perfect condition inside and out.

I drive a 2005 GMC Sierra pickup, purchased new in 2005. Has approximately 60,000 miles on it, and still in great condition except for the paint (it sits exposed outside in driveway, while my wife's vehicle gets to stay in our garage).

No plans to replace either of them until they become unreliable, and we're not looking forward to that day; we both hate vehicle shopping.
IBWino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 12:41 PM   #80

Ages 59/57

2000 Toyota Spyder Convertible - 122,000 car. Summer fun car. Paid cash.
2013 Ford F150 to pull rv travel trailer - 33,000 miles - paid cash
2017 Honda CRV EX - 27 miles - just bought - paid cash

Keep cars, as long as we still like them. If not, we go get another one. Cars is one of DH weakness.
kimcdougc is offline   Reply With Quote