Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: I feel about the government's requirement to cut salaries...
The government should butt out 8 11.76%
I disagree with government intervention but it feels good 7 10.29%
I agree wholeheartedly 49 72.06%
Other/no opinion 4 5.88%
Voters: 68. You may not vote on this poll

U.S. cuts pay at bailed out firms
Old 10-22-2009, 10:34 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

U.S. cuts pay at bailed out firms

An article on Yahoo today says that the Obama Administration is telling the companies like AIG, GM, Bank of America who were bailed out and have not yet repaid the loans that they must drastically cut the pay of the top 25 execs at the firm. Bank of America said the ruling would put it at a disadvantage in competing with companies not under the pay czar's thumb. "People want to work here, but they want to be paid fairly," said BofA spokesman.

What does everybody think about this?
Surfdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-22-2009, 11:02 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

The partially taxpayer-owned companies can do what Goldman did - repay the loans.
eridanus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 12:54 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Fair is such a loaded term, especially when it comes to pay. Since they are essentially government employees, is it fair that they get paid more than other government employees, say in the services?
Old 10-23-2009, 05:38 AM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

I needed another option! It doesn't go nearly far enough... NO ONE in a bailed out company (entity) should make more than old 'exec pay cap' (a Congressman's pay)...

Further anyone making more than exec pay cap in the two years preceding a bail out (OR bankruptcy) should forfeit the excess. Including any and all 'bonuses', etc. That would put a big hole in those 'golden parachutes'.

IF self-regulation worked, bail outs would NOT have been necessary! This would definitely provide some strong incentives to appropriate management and NOT creating these 'crisis' situations in the first place...

While I'm dreamin'... It would also be nice, if those who committed fraud and those who encouraged that fraud were fined and prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.
JustNtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 05:48 AM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bssc View Post
Fair is such a loaded term, especially when it comes to pay.
Like in "fair market value." The banks are correct in this case. I don't see how the worth, to a particular enterprise, of an executive can be determined by an outside committee. I see many Dragons down that path -- too many unintended consequences are possible/probable. (If the Government were to determine the rates of pay at ALL banks, I might feel differently, however.)

BTW, I don't understand the "middle" choice. Like a "gut" feeling? Or just "warm & fuzzy"?
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 06:06 AM   #6
Full time employment: Posting here.

Sounds fair to me, any company I've ever owned or run I decided what to pay my employees, in this case the taxpayers essentially own the companies, or control a voting majority, so why shouldn't the "owners" dictate the pay?

This stuff makes me so mad, companies that are essentially bankrupt, paying millions of dollars to the very people that led the companies into bankruptcy (and by the way came close to a causing a complete economic collapse), crying poor because the "bad government" is cutting their pay...boo hoo.

Don't like it? Go find another job...same thing I use to tell my employees.
farmerEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 07:04 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

I think those employees should just be glad they have a job in these difficult economic times. They should be willing to accept minimum wage. After all, the government has extended a helping hand to these banks and auto companies, so they should return the altruistic gesture by volunteering to work for minimum wage. They should be forced to work for the benefit of their employers and their shareholders at whatever rate the government sets because that is fair.
Old 10-23-2009, 07:54 AM   #8
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I don't agree. Gov't should butt out. This sets a bad and dangerous precident, IMO.
Bimmerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 08:00 AM   #9

I agree. Those "private companies" stopped being private when they accepted government/taxpayer money. The government is now a major stockholder in them and therefore should have a say in how they're run.

That said, I think the bailouts were stupid to begin with.
Old 10-23-2009, 08:04 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
The government is now a major stockholder in them and therefore should have a say in how they're run.
Is that true? "We" purchased stock? Then shouldn't there be a Stockholder's meeting in which this issue is brought up for vote (a "say")?
Old 10-23-2009, 08:08 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

In general I have no problem with the concept that if you want the government's help, it comes with strings attached that you should agree to accept if you want the bailout.

Having said that, the fact that (a) some of these businesses were *forced* to take the bailout and (b) terms are being changed and created after the fact is problematic. How would you like to take a loan where the lender was free to legally change the terms of the contract after the fact?
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 08:19 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
How would you like to take a loan where the lender was free to legally change the terms of the contract after the fact?
... and retroactively.
Old 10-23-2009, 08:35 AM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

Actually, I have a bigger problem with MY money being 'lent' without sufficient collateral or repayment schedule... Credit Cards do the changing terms thing constantly and your option is to either accept it or go elsewhere. When you take or get money from the gov't - you're subject to changing laws and legislation. Option - don't take money from the gov't... Paying millions in bonuses to failed execs is obscene. Capping compensation at the level of a congressman's is exceedingly generous for someone unable to profitably run a company...
JustNtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 08:44 AM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

The best government is the least government. However, the free market forces have been disrupted by the bailout. Therefore, I think the government is justified in forcing changes, since they (we taxpayers) are invested in the bailout companies.
OK... it also feels good to cut the pay of those rascals.
WB52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 08:53 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worker Bee View Post
OK... it also feels good to cut the pay of those rascals.
And it would feel even gooder if the pay was cut of those Weasels who thought up and voted in the bailout and are now making matters worse. They don't seem to be any more competent than the banking executives.

Everyone here keeps skirting the issue but if these people are so bad in their jobs, how can paying them less make them more capable? (Yeah, I know firing a Weasel is only possible every four or six years but those others... )
Old 10-23-2009, 09:10 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Article on CNN today...

Who cares if Wall Street 'talent' leaves? - Oct. 23, 2009

Quote:
Still, we say Godspeed to this "talent." After all, the traders and suits in the corner offices don't exactly have an unblemished track record. In 2008, Citigroup, BofA and Merrill Lynch (since acquired by BofA) posted a grand total of $51 billion in losses.
Bolding mine...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 09:10 AM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Given the market I think paycuts are not going to result in a substantial loss of good people. How talented are any of these people? Talented at what? And people are more replaceable than some think. We better have strings attached when giving government money.

I read an article a while back about fears of wall street losing the best and the brightest. The author said the best and the brightest weren't in these job--they went to academia. The greediest and aggressive were in the big shot Wall Street jobs.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 09:13 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
In general I have no problem with the concept that if you want the government's help, it comes with strings attached that you should agree to accept if you want the bailout.

Having said that, the fact that (a) some of these businesses were *forced* to take the bailout and (b) terms are being changed and created after the fact is problematic. How would you like to take a loan where the lender was free to legally change the terms of the contract after the fact?
The ones listed were not 'forced'... they are the sick ones... they NEEDED the money to stay alive... the ones that were forced have already paid back the money and are now about to pay our record bonuses....
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 09:37 AM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

I see this like going into bankruptcy court. The government cuts your some slack but you aren't allowed to keep your fourth vacation home. Almost all contracts can be renegotiated or negated by the court.
Old 10-23-2009, 09:48 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
The ones listed were not 'forced'... they are the sick ones... they NEEDED the money to stay alive... the ones that were forced have already paid back the money and are now about to pay our record bonuses....
Actually, there have been several cases where the businesses wanted to pay the bailout money back but the government refused to allow it -- presumably because they still wanted to tell these businesses how to run themselves, leverage they'd lose if the businesses paid it off.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote