Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-01-2016, 04:55 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I have never owned any bonds that were not part of a bond fund, but my MIL does. She purchased 2 EE bonds in 1986 that stop earning interest later this year. If she postpones cashing one or both of them in until January of 2017 and forgoes the potential to earn a couple of months worth of interest, will the original 30 years of earnings be taxable in 2016 or 2017?
N02L84ER is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-01-2016, 06:45 PM   #22
Gone but not forgotten

Have been procrastinating about the conversion. Not because I was worried about how long it would take, but my decision to help the government by allowing it to keep those dollars "in float".
Just doing my part to help the economy.

The paper is getting brittle and darkening with age, but I scanned them so the numbers are still visible. Anyway, I can't beat the interest rate and there's still more than ten years to make the changeover.
imoldernu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 02:23 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by N02L84ER View Post
I have never owned any bonds that were not part of a bond fund, but my MIL does. She purchased 2 EE bonds in 1986 that stop earning interest later this year. If she postpones cashing one or both of them in until January of 2017 and forgoes the potential to earn a couple of months worth of interest, will the original 30 years of earnings be taxable in 2016 or 2017?
No, she will owe it all in 2016. I read the rules about this before. You can't delay accepting the money in order to delay the taxes after they have matured.

As an example of how to minimize taxes in such a situation, I have I-bonds coming due in 2031 that earn anywhere from 3% to 3.4% real. So I don't want to cash them in early if I can avoid that. All the taxes are deferred until they are cashed in. But I also don't want to push myself into the 25% tax bracket.

In order to keep myself in the 15% bracket, I will probably cash some in December, 2029 then cash another batch in December, 2030 and let the rest mature in 2031. I will try to hit the top of the 15% bracket in 2030 and 2031.
kramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 06:05 AM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramer View Post
No, she will owe it all in 2016. I read the rules about this before. You can't delay accepting the money in order to delay the taxes after they have matured.

As an example of how to minimize taxes in such a situation, I have I-bonds coming due in 2031 that earn anywhere from 3% to 3.4% real. So I don't want to cash them in early if I can avoid that. All the taxes are deferred until they are cashed in. But I also don't want to push myself into the 25% tax bracket.

In order to keep myself in the 15% bracket, I will probably cash some in December, 2029 then cash another batch in December, 2030 and let the rest mature in 2031. I will try to hit the top of the 15% bracket in 2030 and 2031.
kramer,
Thanks for this post. I also have a bunch of the 3% bonds that mature in 2031. I did not remember until your post that they are taxable at maturity.
You might want to post this in the I-Bond thread . Again,THANKS!!
Dave
Dave J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 11:15 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramer View Post

Thanks, that is what I was guessing! I will pass along the info including what she might do with other future maturing bonds.
N02L84ER is offline   Reply With Quote