Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

U.S. Will Escape Recession in 2008
Old 12-07-2007, 07:51 AM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

U.S. Will Escape Recession in 2008

Despite rising oil prices, a serious housing crisis and a volatile stock market, UCLA Anderson Forecast says there will be no recession in California or the nation in 2008. The study says negative economic growth for two consecutive quarters will be avoided next year.

They believe that unemployment will have to increase to 6% from the current 4.6% before we could have a recession. In order for unemployment to reach 6%, we would have to lose 2 million jobs, and they say this simply is not going to happen.

The rest of the good news is that stock prices will rise 10 to 12 percent next year, "amid calming credit markets and modest economic growth."

What do you think about this forecast? Would you like to share your own personal prediction?
Retire Soon is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-07-2007, 08:39 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

How accurate have they been in the past.
Old 12-07-2007, 08:57 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dex View Post
How accurate have they been in the past.
The UCLA Anderson Forecast has been around since 1952. They were the first forecasting team to declare the recession of 2001. It's one of the most widely watched and often cited economic outlooks in California as well as the nation. If California were a country instead of a state, they would have the third largest economy in the world.
Retire Soon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 09:00 AM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Today's price at Intrade is about $45. That equates to a 45% chance according to the people "investing" there.

I'm a little more bearish, but that's probably just my personality. I'm guessing that the psychological effect of the mortgage mess still has a long ways to go.

People who think 45% is way high or way low have an opportunity to make money in a "pure play" on a recession forcast.

US.RECESSION.08 16:00
Independent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 11:08 AM   #5

if a million people foreclose next year, it's just more money freed up for consumer spending
al_bundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 11:21 AM   #6

Maybe we should make this the recession prediction thread.

Feldstein at Harvard says 50% probability of recession in 2008:

Leading economists tell Congress recession dangers rising - Forbes.com
twaddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 02:28 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by twaddle View Post
Maybe we should make this the recession prediction thread.

Feldstein at Harvard says 50% probability of recession in 2008:
So he's "right" either way?

Mike D.
MikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 02:37 PM   #8

Smart guy, eh?

I do the same thing with my investments. 50/50 stocks/bonds. Bonds are 50/50 inflation-indexed/nominal. Stocks are 50/50 US/intl. I am always right!
twaddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 06:09 PM   #9

I guess the question still is - How accurate have they been in the past?
I looked around their web-site and saw no mention of past record. But that's not surprising. Most forcasters talk about their success, but don't publish a detailed scrorecard.
walkinwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 06:18 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

I vote for a likely recession in 2009, which means we would have a bear market in stocks in 2008.

maybe, maybe not!

Audrey
audreyh1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 08:47 PM   #11

When asked what the stock market will do, J.P Morgan (1837-1913) (banker, financier, businessman) replied:"It will fluctuate."

Personally I think market the will be up next year. I think the economy is stronger than CNBC reports . However, my portfolio kicks off enough in interest and dividends to live on. I would like to see some capital gains but its not necessary.
Old 12-08-2007, 06:33 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

I don't have a clue.
Old 12-08-2007, 06:41 AM   #13
gone traveling

Depends on how high energy prices go. My new numbers are over 4.50 a gallon for gasoline. If that happens I think we go into a recession. But then again I am a Phys ed teacher. What do I know?
dumpster56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 02:29 PM   #14

My guess...

Recession if it is going to happen, won't be next year. From everything I've read there's an upward bias in the last two years of the presidential cycle on wall street. All h*ll could break loose in 2009 though.
mountaintosea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 02:41 PM   #15

I think that the Bush administration will keep us in denial until the election is over. When the Democrats take the presidency, they will find out how bad things really are. Whether they tell the truth or not we will see. The economy will eventually reveal all. According to my crystal ball 2009 will be the first recession year but don't quote me. Things could really go down the toilet before then.
Zoocat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 06:38 PM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

I believe that the stock market is already selling off in anticipation of one party rule beginning in early '09. In my experience, history makes it clear that neither party can be given complete trust. So recession in '08 I cannot say, but lower stock market - very likely.
FinanceGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 09:13 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldbabe View Post
I think that the Bush administration will keep us in denial until the election is over. When the Democrats take the presidency, they will find out how bad things really are. Whether they tell the truth or not we will see. The economy will eventually reveal all. According to my crystal ball 2009 will be the first recession year but don't quote me. Things could really go down the toilet before then.
i keep getting emails for new jobs and last week i got 2 calls from recruiters

how do you think the administration is hiding anything? most of the data is collected by private sources and wall street eats it all up
al_bundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 10:46 PM   #18

They just had to re-revise up the growth rate from 4.9% to 6.3%, and they had said 4.9 was some kind of record.

Not sure about the forecast of 10-12% stock growth, but it will be up for 08.
Old 12-09-2007, 02:52 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post
i keep getting emails for new jobs and last week i got 2 calls from recruiters

how do you think the administration is hiding anything? most of the data is collected by private sources and wall street eats it all up
Your experience only proves the point that the economy is always local. But you make the good point, if the administration IS hiding something, how would I or any outsider know for sure?

I've been reading too many doom and gloom economist analysis.
Zoocat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 03:16 PM   #20

The old joke is that economists have successfully predicted 8 of the last 3 recessions. The negative drum beats in the media would have you think our economy is falling down around our ears. The dems are certainly going to badmouth the economy and find fault with their repub breathern. So far, I've made a lot more money with Bush-II than with Clinton-I.

The negatives are the decline in some housing markets (that most had gone up a lot more in the last 10 years than they've fallen) and the reduced liquidity. The biggest negative I see is the threat of the US government to overturn our private contract law for political purposes like any third world dictator would do. Both parties are guilty. When our contracts can not be trusted, then the US economy is doomed.

The positives are near record (low) unemployment, strong productivity growth and low interest rates. It looks like one of our negatives will cause interest rates to fall again and probably stay low.

I personally see a strong economy and stock market into 2009. At that point something will change and we'll get the economic cycle to go the other way for awhile. The victorious 2008 dems will then blame Bush-II for their problems but I doubt he will be responsible any more than the dems. The cycles happen. Politicians can do some things to minimize the impact but they almost always make it worse.