Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-26-2008, 05:13 PM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post
Hard to see anytime soon.
Probably not this year.

But you DO have a cash buffer of at least a year or two of expenses, right?

You DO have the ability to avoid liquidating equities for at least 3-4 years, yes?

You ARE cutting costs and expenses, ya?

Then you've got nothing to worry about.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-26-2008, 05:19 PM   #42
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallygator69 View Post
Thanks, had the butter knife to my wrists twice today but couldn't go thru with it..
Attachment 3856

Glad I could help.

Just kidding!
Marquette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 05:26 PM   #43
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post

This is something I've always wondered . How do you cash out if most of your investments are in taxable accounts ? How do you handle the tremendous capital gains ? And where do you put the money ? Sorry if this question is elementary .
All my stocks/mutual funds were either in 401K or Roth accounts...
I switched all to cash before I retired last June. No tax hit at all.
Helena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 05:26 PM   #44
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73ss454 View Post
If I had a Cola pension I'd be doing the happy dance. At this point I'm a wall flower.
Hey, if you want a COLA pension too, then you can go buy a COLA-adjusted annuity from Vanguard for a lot less than I paid for mine. The payer might have a slightly lower credit rating but I'm not sure that'll make a difference over our lifespans. You won't have to learn how to breathe underwater either.

All I'm saying is that the people who were gleeful last year (or kvetching that they weren't up as much) should not be complaining this year. If anything they should be figuring out at what prices they'll be buyers. It's the two sides of volatility.

It sure is different this time-- because so far the NASDAQ hasn't lost over 50% of its value and the S&P500 hasn't had a one-day drop of 22%, let alone the drops it experienced in 2001-2. So for those "it's different this time", this is barely a blip on the volatility radar. Anyone this year's volatility to be scary should perhaps revisit their desired asset-allocation plans.

But our COLA pension is the reason that our ER portfolio is 92% equities. We're down 21% from last year's all-time high but only down 7% YTD. We rebalanced last Feb (when Berkshire Hathaway was 17% higher than today's close) and we have two year's spending money in a money market & CDs. Thanks to a few gentle nudges from Laurence, our kid's college money is also in two-year CDs for her 2010 graduation.

No cutbacks planned so far. But when I update the "should I pay off the mortgage or invest" thread in a few months, I suspect it's going to be a demonstration of short-term pain for the prospect of long-term gain.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 05:28 PM   #45
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by cute fuzzy bunny View Post

Not speaking for Helena, but the way it usually works is your cash gets eaten alive by inflation, the market rebounds and you miss getting back all of the money you lost, and then you get clobbered with a huge capital gains tax next april.
You're right... you don't speak for me.

I cashed out last year and had absolutely no tax hit.

We'll see who's ahead of the game come next April.

~
Old 06-26-2008, 05:35 PM   #46
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cute fuzzy bunny View Post
Probably not this year.

But you DO have a cash buffer of at least a year or two of expenses, right?

You DO have the ability to avoid liquidating equities for at least 3-4 years, yes?

You ARE cutting costs and expenses, ya?

Then you've got nothing to worry about.
Yes to the first 2, but I'm already a cheap old bastard so hard to cut anything.
Old 06-26-2008, 05:38 PM   #47
Full time employment: Posting here.

I have a feeling that we are pretty close to the bottom so this IS the right time to panic and sell it all. As for me...I will be buying tomorrow or early next week. Our portfolio is down a bunch from the highs of october but we are still WAY ahead this decade. Saving and investing is a long term project. COLA'd pension has me not worrying too much about recent market levels and little things like living expenses.
Life is good!
Jeff
jclarksnakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 05:49 PM   #48
Give me a forum ...

The main takeaway I'm getting from this thread is that it's easy to relax if you're one of the fortunate few with a COLA'd pension.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 05:52 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
The main takeaway I'm getting from this thread is that it's easy to relax if you're one of the fortunate few with a COLA'd pension.
Go buy yourself a COLA'd pension.
Marquette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 05:52 PM   #50

Which do you want to be?

or the Duke Brothers?

Old 06-26-2008, 06:00 PM   #51
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post

I don't have a COLA'd pension... I took a lump sum and rolled it over
to a self-directed IRA.

I do have a glorified hobby that brings in extra $$.

My health insurance is paid by my former employer [Blue Cross]

I am completely out of debt... I mean totally... all my real estate
and vehicles are paid off.
Old 06-26-2008, 06:12 PM   #52
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helena View Post
I don't have a COLA'd pension... I took a lump sum and rolled it over
to a self-directed IRA.

I do have a glorified hobby that brings in extra $$.

My health insurance is paid by my former employer [Blue Cross]

I am completely out of debt... I mean totally... all my real estate
and vehicles are paid off.
Before I ask you to marry me, you are female? Correct?
Old 06-26-2008, 06:16 PM   #53
gone traveling

Quote:

I retired early... but still too old for you.

Besides... I like being single.
Old 06-26-2008, 06:18 PM   #54
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Should that make a difference?

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 06:30 PM   #55
Full time employment: Posting here.

[quote=Nords;675299]Hey, if you want a COLA pension too, then you can go buy a COLA-adjusted annuity from Vanguard for a lot less than I paid for mine. The payer might have a slightly lower credit rating but I'm not sure that'll make a difference over our lifespans. You won't have to learn how to breathe underwater either.

quote]

You own a COLA'd insurance annuity? I would not have guessed that. I assume you think that was a mistake?
RockOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 06:34 PM   #56

[quote=RockOn;675340]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
Hey, if you want a COLA pension too, then you can go buy a COLA-adjusted annuity from Vanguard for a lot less than I paid for mine. The payer might have a slightly lower credit rating but I'm not sure that'll make a difference over our lifespans. You won't have to learn how to breathe underwater either.

quote]

You own a COLA'd insurance annuity? I would not have guessed that. I assume you think that was a mistake?
Yeah, he owns one from the federal gov., it took him 20 years to buy it.
73ss454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 06:36 PM   #57
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
Should that make a difference?
For some, no. And to be politically correct, that's ok too. But for me, yes. But I've been rejected anyway. So I'll lust over my avatar.
Old 06-26-2008, 06:37 PM   #58

Quote:
For some, no. And to be politically correct, that's ok too. But for me, yes. But I've been rejected anyway. So I'll lust over my avatar.
Dawg the boy toy! rejected
73ss454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 06:41 PM   #59

Working extra shifts. Picked up a locums job. Spending all that extra cash on VEU and VTI. When looking in the rear view mirror 15-20 years from now 2008 will have been a good year to purchase equities, certainly better then 2007...

DD
DblDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 06:44 PM   #60
Moderator Emeritus

Just ignoring the market right now (at least trying). Still investing according to schedule. My wife's 401K contribution was invested today. We added more money to our VG portfolio Yesterday. Plus this week it's quarterly dividend paying week so we have several thousand dollars being reinvested at pretty low prices.
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote