Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-02-2008, 01:48 PM   #241
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by OAG View Post
Wrong country and too young for that one. England and AGE 70 - and it was free (no contributions). Predates SS a bit as it was enacted in 1908.
From Wikipedia:

Provisions of the Act
The Act is formally cited as the Social Security Act, ch. 531, 49 Stat. 620, now codified as 42 U.S.C. ch.7. The Act is also known as the Old Age Pension Act. The Act provided benefits to retirees and the unemployed, and a lump-sum benefit at death. Payments to current retirees were (and continue to be) financed by a payroll tax on current workers' wages, half directly as a payroll tax and half paid by the employer. The act also allocated money to states to provide assistance to aged individuals (Title I), for unemployment insurance (Titles III), Aid to Families with Dependent Children (Title IV), Maternal and Child Welfare (Title V), public health services (Title VI), and the blind (Title X).[9]

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-02-2008, 02:19 PM   #242
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Thanks FD-strange how we Americans seem to copy the Brits in so much. I googled it "Old Age Pension Act" and it gave me the English version. I do agree that I do have 2 annuities. I even am open to a 3d and 4th one in 2013 when ALL of our IRA CD's (Traditional and ROTH) mature on the same date.
Old 07-02-2008, 02:47 PM   #243
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Thanks FD-strange how we Americans seem to copy the Brits in so much. I googled it "Old Age Pension Act" and it gave me the English version. I do agree that I do have 2 annuities. I even am open to a 3d and 4th one in 2013 when ALL of our IRA CD's (Traditional and ROTH) mature on the same date.
Well, in 5 years, maybe CDs will be 8%, and you'll be whistling Dixie.........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 02:47 PM   #244

Quote:
strange how we Americans seem to copy the Brits in so much.
Especially in television. So many American shows are inferior copies remakes of British originals. See e.g. All in the Family (originally Till Death Us Do Part), American Idol (originally Pop Idol), Men Behaving Badly, The Office, Queer as Folk, Sanford and Son (originally Steptoe and Son), Three's Company (originally Man About The House), Too Close For Comfort (originally Keep it in the Family), The Weakest Link, Who Wants to Be a Millionaire, etc.

End hijack!
Old 07-02-2008, 03:01 PM   #245
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
Well, in 5 years, maybe CDs will be 8%, and you'll be whistling Dixie.........
Yeah and the South will rise again! Btw, the DOW is now officially in a bear market. I'm almost glad it closed in bear territory, maybe the talking heads will now start talking about when the next bull will begin.
Old 07-02-2008, 03:23 PM   #246
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post
Yeah and the South will rise again! Btw, the DOW is now officially in a bear market. I'm almost glad it closed in bear territory, maybe the talking heads will now start talking about when the next bull will begin.
I'd much rather the talking heads start buying stocks than talking about when the next bull market will begin.

I guess I'll be doing some tax selling early this year.
clifp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 03:32 PM   #247

I'm afraid that today will go down in history as the beginning of the end. I decided to start buying into the stock market today and I've noticed in the past that I'm able to move global markets by my actions. I also control the weather just by virtue of washing my car....
ejman is offline   Reply With Quote
Bernie Lootz
Old 07-02-2008, 03:38 PM   #248

Bernie Lootz

ejman, you could make a good living, if you're prepared to work under contract to short sellers!
Old 07-02-2008, 04:06 PM   #249
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejman View Post
I'm afraid that today will go down in history as the beginning of the end. I decided to start buying into the stock market today and I've noticed in the past that I'm able to move global markets by my actions. I also control the weather just by virtue of washing my car....
Don't be so sure. If I couldn't take down USO by buying it, I don't think this will work either...
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 04:10 PM   #250
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejman View Post
Wow!! I'm really glad that I didn't buy, then. I almost did, but then got caught up in some stuff at work.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 04:30 PM   #251
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
How do you think I feel? I'm the one who ignored the voice in my head telling me to bail out on Halloween last year when the markets (and my portfolio) were at an all-time high, and now I sit 12% below that...
What would you have said if you'd bailed last Hallowe'en and the market was up another 12% now?

More importantly, when is that little voice going to tell you to start buying?

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 06:01 PM   #252
Moderator Emeritus

That's the point. A person may pick the exact point to bail, but after that its more important to pick when to get back in.

I bailed my 401k to cash at the right time in 2000 when my boss and I had about the same 401k amounts. He stayed in. I missed the right time when I got back in and his balance today is more than 11% greater than mine. I'm staying in no matter what this time.

here's a link showing volatility of 2000-2004 that doesnt make now look too bad

Stock Market Downturn Of 2002 Dow January Lost Value 2000
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 07:42 PM   #253
gone traveling

Quote:

So will your 5-7% stock returns.

Don't forget to add in the cost of buying, selling and managing stocks.

CDs don't have those costs.

~
Helena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 08:01 PM   #254

I panicked..I bought more stocks..Someone help please
Notmuchlonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 08:42 PM   #255
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notmuchlonger View Post
I panicked..I bought more stocks..Someone help please
Go visit Dave Ramsey's website. He might have an approved shrink listed for your neck of the woods.
Old 07-02-2008, 08:52 PM   #256

Quote:
Go visit Dave Ramsey's website. He might have an approved shrink listed for your neck of the woods.
But but I already do all his pay off your debt tirade stuff he does
Notmuchlonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 09:25 PM   #257

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milton View Post
ejman, you could make a good living, if you're prepared to work under contract to short sellers!
Actually, both shorts and longs could make lots of money from my guidance - just do exactly the opposite of what I do.....
ejman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 09:52 PM   #258
Confused about dryer sheets

The American stock market has always been resilient, but does that mean it always will be. The Japanese stock market was at 39,000 back in the late 80’s. Almost 20 years later it now it sits at around 13,000. Who is to say that could not happen to the stock markets in this country.
Vizini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 10:01 PM   #259
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizini View Post
The American stock market has always been resilient, but does that mean it always will be. The Japanese stock market was at 39,000 back in the late 80’s. Almost 20 years later it now it sits at around 13,000. Who is to say that could not happen to the stock markets in this country.
Not me. But I am not predicting that outcome. I do think we are a little spoiled though, always thinking something bad couldn't happen in the great US of A. The way this country is run with the deficit spending and all, our future could include some painful times. I only wish I knew.
RockOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 07:13 AM   #260
Give me a forum ...

I prefer up to down, since I'm long the markets. Having said that, we're still in "shallow" bear territory. If you're panicking now, time to 1) revisit your allocation, and 2) turn off MTV CNBC...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote