Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-17-2017, 03:16 PM   #61
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Totoro View Post
Same with financial services companies, and others. They are/were freezing new investments and expansion plans. Other cities would love to dethrone London.

Expats (high earning ones) are reconsidering their UK plans too.

It may work out in the end, but uncertainty in the meantime is not good. In that sense today's speech gave back some stability (clarity of direction). Let's see what Scotland does next.
Yes, Scotland could end up as a very important piece of the puzzle. The UK has constitutional instability from both ends right now, pulling out of the EU and Scotland will be looking to pull out of the UK and join the EU if there's no single market or customs union membership for the UK.

Current AA: 75% Equity Funds / 15% Bonds / 5% Stable Value /2% Cash / 3% TIAA Traditional
Retired Mar 2014 at age 52, target WR: 0.0%,
Income from pension and rent
nun is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-17-2017, 03:18 PM   #62
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by nun View Post
So you filled out 60 pages and chronicled every time you left the UK back to the dark ages? Can renunciation be far off?
Actually, it wasn't too bad. Meet with a charming lady in Oxford with the Home Office, and Bobs your uncle.

As of right now, there is no reason to renounce UK citizenship, even if I were to move abroad. Let's leave it at that.
theOAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 03:22 PM   #63
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Totoro View Post
Let's see what Scotland does next.
And, the political situation in Northern Ireland is back in the news as well (and the solution to a soft border with the South).
theOAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 03:27 PM   #64
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by theOAP View Post
And, the political situation in Northern Ireland is back in the news as well (and the solution to a soft border with the South).
How about we leave that sort of stuff in the news and not bring it here, eh?
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 03:28 PM   #65
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
I am not saying the winters are not cold.... just not freezing...

BTW, what are the highs in the summer where you live And do you have AC? The highs here are always in the high 90s and there are even long spells in the 100s... pretty bad to go outside...
We all love where we live for different reasons. Weather is just one facet and the emphases probably depends a lot on one's interests (outdoor activities versus indoor).

You asked about our weather and it's one of the strong points of the area we live in. There are a lot of wineries in our area that benefit from the Mediterranean weather. Our summers are quite variable because of the nearness to the ocean. Sometimes there is a string of 90's days, then followed by morning fogs and milder days. Occasionally we will have a multi-day hot spell hitting 100 or so. We don't use AC during the day generally, but do turn on the upstairs AC at night because our upper level doesn't get the night coolness for some reason i.e. maybe not the best air flow design. That AC is a minor cost as it doesn't run that much.
Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 03:34 PM   #66
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
But.... the high is in the 40s!!! That is not freezing...

Kinda the same as Chicago or NYC right now... but compare it to Berlin where the high is 30 and low is 20ish.... or Zurich, high 23 low 14....

I am not saying the winters are not cold.... just not freezing...

BTW, what are the highs in the summer where you live And do you have AC? The highs here are always in the high 90s and there are even long spells in the 100s... pretty bad to go outside...
This last summer was typical of the last few long stays we've had up north. Highs in the 70's, just occasionally in the low 80's. No AC in the houses because it is almost never needed. We did spend 2 weeks in Belgium this last summer, mostly in Ypres with a long weekend in Liege when we went to the Belgian Grand Prix. For a few days it got too warm with temperatures into the high 80's so AC would have been nice in the big house we were renting with 5 other relatives.

PS
Now waiting at IAH for our flight to Manchester, new route on Singapore Airlines.
Old 01-17-2017, 09:24 PM   #67
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
Now waiting at IAH for our flight to Manchester, new route on Singapore Airlines.
Is this IT? The big move across the pond? They say "you can't go home again". I hope that will not apply in your case. You have done a lot of prep work. Must be a bit emotional after all.....
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 08:45 AM   #68

We enjoy the UK and we could easily spend a few month a year there.

Even though we have no legal restrictions to retire there, or even work, it would never be our choice of location as a home base in retirement.
brett is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 01:35 PM   #69
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
Is this IT? The big move across the pond? They say "you can't go home again". I hope that will not apply in your case. You have done a lot of prep work. Must be a bit emotional after all.....
Yes, this is IT

It felt wonderful getting home this afternoon. The flight landed in Manchester from Houston close to on time at 09:35, we were through border control, collected our bags and out into the terminal without speaking to a single official. (Love those electronic booths, and all 3 of our bags arrived side by side in double quick time).

We then walked to the train station, bought our tickets and were sitting on the train by 10:15 for a 10:35 departure direct to the east coast, Middlesbrough. Our lawyer called us while on the train to confirm that the house completion had happened

Short cab ride from the train station in Middlesbrough and we were back in our rental house by 1:45pm. Shower and shave, walk a mile into town, picked up the house keys, flat white at our favourite coffee shop, then walk a half mile to the new house for a good look around.

Feeling really good at 19:30 following a steak pie made by our local butcher and ready for an early night.

Even the weather cooperated - high cloud, some blue patches, no wind and quite mild for the time of year. Even now it is still 41F about 3 hours after sunset.

Life is good....
Old 01-18-2017, 01:40 PM   #70
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Yes, this is IT

It felt wonderful getting home this afternoon. The flight landed in Manchester from Houston close to on time at 09:35, we were through border control, collected our bags and out into the terminal without speaking to a single official. (Love those electronic booths, and all 3 of our bags arrived side by side in double quick time).

We then walked to the train station, bought our tickets and were sitting on the train by 10:15 for a 10:35 departure direct to the east coast, Middlesbrough. Our lawyer called us while on the train to confirm that the house completion had happened

Short cab ride from the train station in Middlesbrough and we were back in our rental house by 1:45pm. Shower and shave, walk a mile into town, picked up the house keys, flat white at our favourite coffee shop, then walk a half mile to the new house for a good look around.

Feeling really good at 19:30 following a steak pie made by our local butcher and ready for an early night.

Even the weather cooperated - high cloud, some blue patches, no wind and quite mild for the time of year. Even now it is still 41F about 3 hours after sunset.

Life is good....
Congratulations!
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 01:42 PM   #71
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Life is good....
Sounds like you won the non-financial lottery.

Congratulations!

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 03:19 PM   #72

Quote:
Yes, this is IT

Life is good....

That sounds pretty wonderful. Congrats to you and Mrs. Alan for making this dream come true. I've enjoyed reading about the process.
Old 01-18-2017, 03:54 PM   #73

Quote:
a steak pie made by our local butcher, a pint or two at the local, and ready for an early night.
Fixed it for ya.

Congrats!
braumeister is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 04:21 PM   #74

What did I learn from this thread?
1) A flat white is like a latte but different.
2) Steak Pie sounds like something I would like to eat.

Had to look them both up.
Just_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 04:28 PM   #75

Quote:

Are you in walking distance of Westgate?

So are you planning an early morning trip to Petches to get some pork pies? FYI their black pudding is great too.

Current AA: 75% Equity Funds / 15% Bonds / 5% Stable Value /2% Cash / 3% TIAA Traditional
Old 01-18-2017, 04:30 PM   #76
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_Steve View Post
What did I learn from this thread?
1) A flat white is like a latte but different.
2) Steak Pie sounds like something I would like to eat.

Had to look them both up.
I had to Google the first one.....but then I'm no epicurean.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 05:41 PM   #77

Congrats Alan!

Don't ya love it when a plan comes together?!
Huston55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 08:34 PM   #78

I like Scotland, and the Isle of Skye. I like the Southern English countryside too. Well, if the pound is 0.80 to the dollar .. yeah !!!
Old 01-18-2017, 11:06 PM   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyber888 View Post
I like Scotland, and the Isle of Skye. I like the Southern English countryside too. Well, if the pound is 0.80 to the dollar .. yeah !!!
Not a bad view....nice place on Skye

4 bedroom detached house for sale in Kingsburgh, Snizort, Portree, Isle Of Skye, IV51, IV51

Old 01-19-2017, 01:34 AM   #80
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by nun View Post
Are you in walking distance of Westgate?

So are you planning an early morning trip to Petches to get some pork pies? FYI their black pudding is great too.
10 minutes walk to Westgate. We had initially planned to look and buy a house this year but the "right" house on Hunters Hill came up in October so we put in a bid and it was accepted same day. The retired couple were downsizing and buying a house very close to where we are renting, close to The Voyager pub, and close to their daughter.

The "top shops" butcher where we buy our pies used to get them fresh each day from Petches but I think recently he started making them himself.