Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-20-2017, 09:09 AM   #101
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nun View Post
Dohhhh......changed it.
Just teasing you.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-20-2017, 09:13 AM   #102
Give me a forum ...

Retire in the UK?

Soon there will be no need to move for that. IMHO, Reuniting with England and the British Empire the only way to solve this country's problems, and is therefore inevitable.

There would be a few problems. We will have to learn how to spell certain words like - harbour, colour, etc. But we will add many colorful words and phrases to the language. Gobsmacked is my favorite word and One Off is one of my favorite phrases. Then there are also all of those great British cuss words.

Everybody will need driving lessons, so maybe an investment in driving schools is a good idea for our IRA's.

We will have to relearn how to drink beer - warm and in greater quantities. But, we can share the craft brewing industry with them. They need help. And the idea of having a Pub on every corner is just wonderful.

Replacing ObamaCare will be easy! Just use the British National Health system. One big problem immediately solved as proof how well the Reunion will work.

Of course, the President will probably have to spend a night or two in a London dungeon, just to show that we are truly repentant. After a few days the Queen can issue a proclamation of forgiveness for the President and all Americans, and announce a new and glorious future for the Empire, both in Europe and North America. While the President is in the dungeon the American people can do a ceremonial penance by eating mushy peas and blood sausage for a day.

Hopefully, they won't burn down the White House for a second time. Perhaps we will be allowed to make the White House a museum of the abandoned American culture. It will serve as a warning to future generations not to question their leaders.

Any other suggestions?

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 09:27 AM   #103
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
Any other suggestions?
Yep. Seek help to get off whatever you've been drinking/smoking/sniffing/shooting up.
Old 01-20-2017, 10:14 AM   #104
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsbcal View Post
Looks like a beautiful place to live. I envy you two and if I could just have a few more lives .... Are there any Detectorists around? Love that Netflix series.

In 2013 we were in Ripon and saw Rievaulx Abbey and then Fountains Abbey. But then took a left turn to Hawes. Would love to go back there and sketch some of those ruins plus all that nice stone work in the buildings.

Sometime when you are settled maybe we could have a thread on backdoor ways to visit the UK. It's not just all well known cities like London and Bath.
Funnily enough our current next door neighbour is a detectorist This is the rental house we moved into last May and he's a great guy. We often see his mate picking him up in a van, and see him putting his metal detecting gear in the back. We've talked about his hobby and he really does have the enthusiasm you see on that comedy series.

We are very close to Ripon, Rievaulx Abbey and Fountains Abbey. We also love Hawes and when our son was visiting last year we actually spent a couple of nights in Hawes with him. He loves cheese and is a big fan of Wallace and Gromit so one of the things we did was visit the Wensleydale cheese factory and museum in Hawes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by euro View Post
I'd love to see such a thread! I've been to London many, many times, lived in Bournemouth for 4 months, and I travelled the countryside SOME, but I feel that I haven't even scratched the surface as far as really traveling the UK. Always looking for places to explore - especially if they are reachable as day trips from London by train (we have done day trips as far as Edinburgh, so a lot of territory is in play....)
I'm certainly open to starting such a thread when we are settled. We love having our American friends visit and taking them to out of the way places that are just delightful to see. We already have 2 sets of friends coming over this year

Please do remind me if I haven't started such a thread over the next few weeks...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Hawes Jeffrey and Wallace and Gromit.jpg (516.7 KB, 26 views)
Old 01-20-2017, 10:32 AM   #105
Full time employment: Posting here.

Awesome!!!
F4mandolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 10:43 AM   #106
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
the American people can do a ceremonial penance by eating mushy peas and blood sausage for a day.
I used to dread the days when mushy peas were on the menu with school dinner! *shudders at the memory*

Major Tom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 11:13 AM   #107
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Retire in the UK?

Soon there will be no need to move for that. IMHO, Reuniting with England and the British Empire the only way to solve this country's problems, and is therefore inevitable.

There would be a few problems. We will have to learn how to spell certain words like - harbour, colour, etc. But we will add many colorful words and phrases to the language. Gobsmacked is my favorite word and One Off is one of my favorite phrases. Then there are also all of those great British cuss words.

Any other suggestions?
Yes. The "z" zed called and it would like to be recognised as a ok letter to be allowed back in the language.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 11:15 AM   #108

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Tom View Post
I used to dread the days when mushy peas were on the menu with school dinner! *shudders at the memory*
No.....just no. Mushy peas will be on my agenda when all of my teeth fall out. Well......maybe not then either. Just give me some good greasy food.... fish+chips.... a good vindaloo....
Old 01-20-2017, 11:25 AM   #109

Quote:
Retire in the UK?

Everybody will need driving lessons, so maybe an investment in driving schools is a good idea for our IRA's.

We will have to relearn how to drink beer - warm and in greater quantities. But, we can share the craft brewing industry with them. They need help. And the idea of having a Pub on every corner is just wonderful.

Replacing ObamaCare will be easy! Just use the British National Health system. One big problem immediately solved as proof how well the Reunion will work.

Of course, the President will probably have to spend a night or two in a London dungeon, just to show that we are truly repentant. After a few days the Queen can issue a proclamation of forgiveness for the President and all Americans, and announce a new and glorious future for the Empire, both in Europe and North America. While the President is in the dungeon the American people can do a ceremonial penance by eating mushy peas and blood sausage for a day.

Hopefully, they won't burn down the White House for a second time. Perhaps we will be allowed to make the White House a museum of the abandoned American culture. It will serve as a warning to future generations not to question their leaders.

Any other suggestions?
Oh man....so many errors. Warm beer? while I do actually think there is more "taste" in room temperature beer.....the UK now has cooling units (called refrigerators) in most homes.....and my wife does not think I need to drink more beer. And....the price in most pubs for a pint is enough to cause a heart attack.
Old 01-20-2017, 11:44 AM   #110

Quote:
Originally Posted by F4mandolin View Post
Why?
Well both homophones (well not quite) might be an accurate description of the average Harrogate resident....I meant genteel.

Current AA: 75% Equity Funds / 15% Bonds / 5% Stable Value /2% Cash / 3% TIAA Traditional
Retired Mar 2014 at age 52, target WR: 0.0%,
Income from pension and rent
nun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 11:58 AM   #111
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Any other suggestions?

I think you have it the wrong way....

When I was working there, a good number of people said they had more in common with the USA then the rest of Europe (maybe why Brexit won).... and a percent of them said they would rather be the 51st state!!!!
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 12:12 PM   #112

Quote:
Well both homophones (well not quite) might be an accurate description of the average Harrogate resident....I meant genteel.
Either way....I kind of ruin the "average". I would rather have moved to the coast.....but my wife wouldn't go for that.
Old 01-20-2017, 03:13 PM   #113

Does not make sense to me, considering, the majority of Brits do not intend to retire in their own country.
NYEXPAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 04:43 PM   #114

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYEXPAT View Post
Does not make sense to me, considering, the majority of Brits do not intend to retire in their own country.

I would sure live there part of the year if I could do so.

California doesn't have the history that I'm interested in, but it's a good place to live most of the year.
Old 01-20-2017, 04:44 PM   #115

Quote:
Originally Posted by F4mandolin View Post
Either way....I kind of ruin the "average". I would rather have moved to the coast.....but my wife wouldn't go for that.
Not even Scarborough....that's like Harrogate-by-the-sea

Current AA: 75% Equity Funds / 15% Bonds / 5% Stable Value /2% Cash / 3% TIAA Traditional
Old 01-20-2017, 11:57 PM   #116

Quote:
Not even Scarborough....that's like Harrogate-by-the-sea
I was looking pretty hard at the Scarborough area....just to the north side of Peasholm park. Some people like Scarborough.....some don't....seems like nobody is in the middle about it. I think my wife's daughter hates the place....calls it Scarbados. I jokingly was trying to get my wife to move to Fort William (well....kind of joking) as well.....she shot that one down along with the others. If it's got water and hills and views I'm usually for it.
Old 01-21-2017, 12:38 AM   #117
Recycles dryer sheets

Being Irish originally, I'm curious how Brexit will unfold. Before the EU, Ireland-England had a "special relationship" (open borders for work) but I'm not sure if that would be able to continue post-Brexit.

I was just back in Ireland & England last fall and the exchange rate made it feel like we were in the US. Not cheaper though, but not expensive like it used to be. Long may it last! Maybe I'll visit more often now.
PaddyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 01:49 AM   #118
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaddyMac View Post

I was just back in Ireland & England last fall and the exchange rate made it feel like we were in the US. Not cheaper though, but not expensive like it used to be. Long may it last! Maybe I'll visit more often now.
3 years ago we spent a month in Ireland, 2 weeks in a cottage in Donegal and 2 weeks in a big house in Connemara with 3 other family members. Absolutely marvelous time.
Old 01-21-2017, 06:39 AM   #119

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaddyMac View Post
Being Irish originally, I'm curious how Brexit will unfold. Before the EU, Ireland-England had a "special relationship" (open borders for work) but I'm not sure if that would be able to continue post-Brexit.

Both governments seem to want to keep the border open. The ability for UK and Irish citizens to move between the two countries and work in either without visas was superseded by the free movement of people within the EU, but it still exists and I assume would do so after BREXIT.

FYI large numbers of UK citizens with Irish grandparents etc are now applying for Irish passports.

Old 01-22-2017, 05:21 PM   #120
Give me a forum ...

If we live in UK for 7 months out of the year and have NHS for healthcare (getting in not an issue) and live in California or somewhere else sunny for 5 months with travel insurance, would that work out? Any gotchas with that plan? Our relatives from outside the U.S. come to visit California sometimes for months at a time with travel health insurance, though no one ever had a car accident or anything big to test out the policies. Or sometimes they go to places like Spain or Portugal for vacations during the winter.

It is rainy here today so I've gotten some major decluttering done. If we don't end up moving, worst case we'll have a clutter free house.
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote