Join Early Retirement Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-23-2017, 05:05 PM   #141
Administrator
Alan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: N. Yorkshire
Posts: 29,690
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
So I think you have established that the UK is financially a great country to retire to if you spent your working career in the US. I note that you are both returning to the country of your birth. The experience may be different for Americans who do not have the same connection to the UK.
If you have read my posts, I have said many times that the reason we are returning to the U.K. is to be close to family and friends and not for financial reasons. The fact that it is financially very good for us is just Lagniappe!!
__________________
Retired in Jan, 2010 at 55, moved to England in May 2016
Enough private pension and SS income to cover all needs
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-23-2017, 05:38 PM   #142
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 11,401
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
If you have read my posts, I have said many times that the reason we are returning to the U.K. is to be close to family and friends and not for financial reasons. The fact that it is financially very good for us is just Lagniappe!!
Alan, I know that family and friends were your primary motivation. Nun, who was the OP, posited the financial argument.
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 05:41 PM   #143
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
nun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 4,867
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
Alan, I know that family and friends were your primary motivation. Nun, who was the OP, posited the financial argument.
Yes, because of the 20% fall in the value of the pound since the BREXIT vote.
I also suggested that the UK would make a value for money vacation place.
__________________
“So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.”

Current AA: 75% Equity Funds / 15% Bonds / 5% Stable Value /2% Cash / 3% TIAA Traditional
Retired Mar 2014 at age 52, target WR: 0.0%,
Income from pension and rent
nun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 06:02 PM   #144
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 60
This has been an interesting thread to read.

My wife's parents were both born in England, and maintain dual citizenship in Canada. Based on my research over the weekend, that makes DW a UK citizen by descent, and eligible for a UK passport. I think she will apply for the passport in the next year or two. Who knows, we might want to spend a few years there visiting with her extended family and really seeing all the natural and historical sights.

It will be interesting to see how the upcoming Supreme Court decision affects May's plans for a hard Brexit and/or the UK's place in the Shengen Area.
Viking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 07:23 PM   #145
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 7,654
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
Although we haven't needed to pay property taxes in Texas our rent for our 2 bed apartment was $1,396 / month compared to the 3 bed house we have been renting here for £675/month, which is about what we paid in rent for a similar house in the same town in 2011. My sister rents a 3 bed house on the high street in town for £450/month.

While the U.K. is a lot less expensive than the USA, salaries are also much lower, certainly in engineering fields, so I feel very fortunate to have had my career in the USA and then be able to retire on a pension that is more than double the average salary in the UK.
The average rent for a two bedroom apartment in San Francisco is $4,487 a month, median home price over $1.1M. I really like it here in the Bay Area, but from looking online even London and Paris seem cheaper these days, at least for comparable housing, and smaller cities look like real bargains.

If we have to pay ~$30K a year again just for health insurance premiums here (if we can even get insurance with actual full coverage post-ACA), I think that might be our tipping point for moving, at least until Medicare age (also have to wait and see what happens with that program).
__________________
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 07:23 PM   #146
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Toronto
Posts: 3,003
DW was born in London and had a UK passport for the longest time. Last I checked, male spouses still couldn't get UK citizenship though there was talk of change. Of course if UK comes out of EU, much of the attraction is lost.
6miths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 07:34 PM   #147
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Koogie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: GTA
Posts: 1,683
This thread had inspired me to renew my UK passport, which I had let lapse.
Then I went online and saw how much they wanted to renew it ! £102.86 !!

Geez, it's like they're trying to get me to rescue the pound all by myself !
__________________
Family Motto: "Every penny's a prisoner"
Koogie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 08:11 PM   #148
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
nun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 4,867
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6miths View Post
DW was born in London and had a UK passport for the longest time. Last I checked, male spouses still couldn't get UK citizenship though there was talk of change. Of course if UK comes out of EU, much of the attraction is lost.
You can get UK citizenship. A UK spouse can get their spouse a residence visa, then after a couple of years you apply for Indefinite Leave to Remain which is the equivlalent of a green card and then you can apply for UK citizenship.
__________________
“So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.”

Current AA: 75% Equity Funds / 15% Bonds / 5% Stable Value /2% Cash / 3% TIAA Traditional
Retired Mar 2014 at age 52, target WR: 0.0%,
Income from pension and rent
nun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 08:13 PM   #149
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
nun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 4,867
Quote:
Originally Posted by daylatedollarshort View Post
The average rent for a two bedroom apartment in San Francisco is $4,487 a month, median home price over $1.1M. I really like it here in the Bay Area, but from looking online even London and Paris seem cheaper these days, at least for comparable housing, and smaller cities look like real bargains.

If we have to pay ~$30K a year again just for health insurance premiums here (if we can even get insurance with actual full coverage post-ACA), I think that might be our tipping point for moving, at least until Medicare age (also have to wait and see what happens with that program).
Those real estate prices are up there. Alan has moved to the "Mississippi" of the UK when it comes to living costs.
__________________
“So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.”

Current AA: 75% Equity Funds / 15% Bonds / 5% Stable Value /2% Cash / 3% TIAA Traditional
Retired Mar 2014 at age 52, target WR: 0.0%,
Income from pension and rent
nun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 08:17 PM   #150
Recycles dryer sheets
Dd852's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: London/UK (dual US/UK citizen)
Posts: 443
Our big move back to London is in May. I confess to mixed feelings - I love the place; I love our flat. I'm very unhappy at the Brexit vote and all the implications. And yeah, the weather can be grim - I always get depressed November-February when it gets dark at 4. Definitely will travel then! But the weather can also be glorious; the museums and theatre are terrific; Europe remains at the doorstep. And the US (where my family and roots are) is an easy flight away.
Dd852 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 08:23 PM   #151
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
nun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 4,867
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd852 View Post
And yeah, the weather can be grim - I always get depressed November-February when it gets dark at 4.
Take pity on Alan, it gets dark at 3:00 where he is. FYI here is a very interesting article about potential UK changes to immigration post BREXIT that will interest Americans.......personally I think it's a terrible policy if it happens.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...uk-immigration
__________________
“So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.”

Current AA: 75% Equity Funds / 15% Bonds / 5% Stable Value /2% Cash / 3% TIAA Traditional
Retired Mar 2014 at age 52, target WR: 0.0%,
Income from pension and rent
nun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 08:44 PM   #152
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Toronto
Posts: 3,003
Quote:
Originally Posted by nun View Post
You can get UK citizenship. A UK spouse can get their spouse a residence visa, then after a couple of years you apply for Indefinite Leave to Remain which is the equivlalent of a green card and then you can apply for UK citizenship.
Thanks nun. I didn't think there was an easy path for male spouses of female UK citizens.
6miths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 10:50 PM   #153
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 15,688
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
Although we haven't needed to pay property taxes in Texas our rent for our 2 bed apartment was $1,396 / month compared to the 3 bed house we have been renting here for £675/month, which is about what we paid in rent for a similar house in the same town in 2011. My sister rents a 3 bed house on the high street in town for £450/month.


While the U.K. is a lot less expensive than the USA, salaries are also much lower, certainly in engineering fields, so I feel very fortunate to have had my career in the USA and then be able to retire on a pension that is more than double the average salary in the UK.

It is less expensive as long as you do not live in London....


Also, do you not have to pay a tax on your TV Maybe this has gone away, but I remember people complaining about this when I was there...
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 10:56 PM   #154
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Hyperborea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Silicon Valley
Posts: 1,008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viking View Post
My wife's parents were both born in England, and maintain dual citizenship in Canada. Based on my research over the weekend, that makes DW a UK citizen by descent, and eligible for a UK passport.
Yes, she is. My parents were both from Glasgow, Scotland and I have British citizenship through them. It was a pretty painless process that just needed me to send off my father's birth certificate, my parents' marriage certificate, and my birth certificate. The process has become even easier since I did it. The new forms allow you to circumvent some of the paperwork by using your parents' passport numbers if they have them.

Actually, from the law at the time I was born (pre-1983) it was actually just through my father. You can get citizenship through your mother though it is more complex. For births from 1983 onwards the law allows either parent to pass on citizenship. This passing on of citizenship doesn't continue so citizenship stops at the first generation unless you return and live in Britain for a number of years.

Well, depending on how things work out perhaps my Scottish citizenship will give me EU citizenship.
Hyperborea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 12:56 AM   #155
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Harrogate, UK
Posts: 915
I am in the visa process at this time, almost 2 years. It will take about 5 total years and 3 total visa applications with the accompanying fees before I am given permission to stay for good. We moved back mostly because I married a Yorkshire lass. I like it here so no big deal for me. They do not make it easy though. I think the paperwork might have been a bit easier than getting my wife a green card.....but I'll have to do it 3 times. If you don't have a good job or a decent amount of money in the bank the move isn't going to happen. I have been keeping a lot of money in the bank to make sure I can prove I can meet the financial requirements without having to prove my pension etc. You need to keep around £65,000 or more ( I went for more) for these 5 years of applications. I needed to pass the UK driving test (first time....but most fail it) which is harder. I still have to pass a "living in the UK" test with general knowledge questions....you can take practice tests online if you want to see how you would do.

I plan to live here for good.....I might not even bother to go back to the US. I have 2 older brothers and some relatives....but I have lived out of the US most of my life so I am comfortable here.
F4mandolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 03:27 AM   #156
Administrator
Alan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: N. Yorkshire
Posts: 29,690
Quote:
Originally Posted by nun View Post
Take pity on Alan, it gets dark at 3:00 where he is.
I'm not THAT far north

Sunset today is 4:36.
__________________
Retired in Jan, 2010 at 55, moved to England in May 2016
Enough private pension and SS income to cover all needs
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 03:51 AM   #157
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Harrogate, UK
Posts: 915
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
I'm not THAT far north

Sunset today is 4:36.
I almost said something. You are technically a tiny bit darker than me (a hair north, a hair east)....but I don't call it dark until 4:15 or so at Christmas. It's dark though. I'm more of a morning person, so the dark mornings are worse for me. My aunt back in SW Washington said something about it being so dark back at Christmas.....I pointed out we had an hour and twenty minutes less daylight here since we are further north.
F4mandolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 04:03 AM   #158
Administrator
Alan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: N. Yorkshire
Posts: 29,690
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd852 View Post
Our big move back to London is in May. I confess to mixed feelings - I love the place; I love our flat. I'm very unhappy at the Brexit vote and all the implications. And yeah, the weather can be grim - I always get depressed November-February when it gets dark at 4. Definitely will travel then! But the weather can also be glorious; the museums and theatre are terrific; Europe remains at the doorstep. And the US (where my family and roots are) is an easy flight away.
Good luck on your move. This last few days we have had glorious weather with lows in the low 30's and highs in the high 30's but not a breath of wind and loads of sunshine. I took a few photos of our new house the other day.

Snowdrops and daffodils are poking their stalks above ground already.....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2020.jpg (664.0 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2023.jpg (456.3 KB, 17 views)
__________________
Retired in Jan, 2010 at 55, moved to England in May 2016
Enough private pension and SS income to cover all needs
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 04:23 AM   #159
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Harrogate, UK
Posts: 915
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
Good luck on your move. This last few days we have had glorious weather with lows in the low 30's and highs in the high 30's but not a breath of wind and loads of sunshine. I took a few photos of our new house the other day.

Snowdrops and daffodils are poking their stalks above ground already.....
Nice....looks about the right size. Now if you could just make that garage big enough to park in.
F4mandolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 05:04 AM   #160
Recycles dryer sheets
Dd852's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: London/UK (dual US/UK citizen)
Posts: 443
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
Good luck on your move. This last few days we have had glorious weather with lows in the low 30's and highs in the high 30's but not a breath of wind and loads of sunshine. I took a few photos of our new house the other day.



Snowdrops and daffodils are poking their stalks above ground already.....


Lovely. Congratulations
Dd852 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Most Americans Can't Retire... Live Free FIRE and Money 113 03-18-2015 11:52 AM
And I thought Americans had great commercials....wowie! Orchidflower Other topics 4 02-25-2011 12:16 AM
New Place Vs Return To Wonderful Old Place yakers Travel Information 22 09-26-2008 06:00 PM

» Quick Links

 
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:42 PM.
 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.