Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Ultra Conservative Retirement Planners
Old 04-06-2007, 12:02 PM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmark
"The Firecalc model defines success based on the "worst historical market performance"- note that should be "worst US historical market performance".
Domo arigato!
wabmester is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-06-2007, 12:09 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmark
"The Firecalc model defines success based on the "worst historical market performance"- note that should be "worst US historical market performance".
At the moment my personal portfolio rate of return YTD is just over 10% annualized. This is safely above the return of the S&P because of my foreign stock performance. The question becomes should we base our SWR on US or world market performance?

Old 04-06-2007, 12:38 PM   #43
Recycles dryer sheets

Here's a larger sample of historical geometric market returns copied from "Triumph of the Opimists". They suggest possibly using world returns to reduce country bias.

Real, Annual Stock Bond
geo sd geo sd
Australia 7.5 17.7 1.1 13.0
Belgium 2.5 22.8 -0.4 12.1
Canada 6.4 16.8 1.8 10.6
Denmark 4.6 20.1 2.5 12.5
France 3.8 23.1 -1.0 14.4
Germany 3.6 32.2 -2.2 15.9 (ex-weimar)
Ireland 4.8 22.2 1.5 13.3
Italy 2.7 29.4 -2.2 14.4
Japan 4.5 30.3 -1.6 20.9
Netherlands 5.8 21.0 1.1 9.4
South Africa 6.8 22.8 1.4 10.6
Spain 3.6 22.0 1.2 12.0
Sweden 7.6 22.8 2.4 12.7
Switzerland 5.0 20.4 2.8 8.0
UK 5.8 20.0 1.3 14.5
US 6.7 20.2 1.6 10.0 < 4% based on this
World 5.8 17.0 1.2 10.3
rmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 08:33 PM   #44

Both calculators say that we have saved enough for retirement. However, we will wait 4 more years until our daughter completes college.
Old 04-06-2007, 08:46 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanky
Both calculators say that we have saved enough for retirement. However, we will wait 4 more years until our daughter completes college.
Spanky, you're golden! It's been a while since I tried the fido calc, but it basically told me that I could never retire. I forget what inputs I gave it, but even though FIREcalc gave me 100% success, fido suggested that I increase my bond allocation to go from 80% to 82% success or somesuch nonsense.

I played around with it for a while, and even though my WR was less than 3%, fido said "Sorry, you can't retire. Better luck next time."

What was the retirement term length you gave fido? I think I used 40 or 50 years.
wabmester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 06:21 AM   #46

Just for grins I tried the AARP retirement calculator. The AARP calculator said I needed about twice of the assets to retire for the same income FIRECalc had me about 80% safe.

Now that is the most ultra conservative calculator I've ever come across.
Old 04-07-2007, 09:13 AM   #47
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I know this subject has come up before... But isn't this in part an issue related to retirement expense needs? And isn't this the point of Laurence Kotlikoff (economics professor) and part owner of E$Planner. Your retirement assets are there to meet your needs and most of the Financial Service Companies over estimate needs. Partly due to reduced spending as one gets older!

I have not seen the software. But the claim is that is does a monte carlo simulation on assets. Probably not a lot that is new there... But where it may shine is in understanding youe expense needs.

http://www.esplanner.com/
chinaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 04:17 PM   #48
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I don't know if AARPs calculator is the most conservative but it is one of the lamest I've ever seen.
You have to make estimates about every thing inflation rate,expected returns now and when you retire etc.

But the kicker for me was when it asked for current retirement assets, so I type in my liquid net worth, and the stupid calculator said your retirement can't exceed a $1 million. I guess I am suppose to donate the excess to AARP or something.
clifp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 04:40 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by clifp
But the kicker for me was when it asked for current retirement assets, so I type in my liquid net worth, and the stupid calculator said your retirement can't exceed a $1 million. I guess I am suppose to donate the excess to AARP or something.
I did a ratio to make everything work. I thought it was pretty stupid but I guess I'm willing to overlook things I can work around.