Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-28-2021, 08:09 AM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I will see what Erie and Amica say about umbrella and auto, but they are not going to quote on HO in Florida.

No major national company, that I am aware of, writes HO in Florida. Certainly not on the coast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by freedomatlast View Post
$2,000,000 umbrella from Erie costs $395 down from $470 a year ago. That's for 2 houses and 8 cars. I'm surprised at all the Geico policyholders here. I requote our insurance every 2 or 3 years to make sure I'm still getting a good deal and Geico is always at least double what Erie is on both auto and umbrella policies. Homeowner's insurance with Erie also decreased substantially this year. I think what keeps Erie's rates down is that they don't write policies in areas that are prone to wildfires and other natural disasters that keep occurring year after year. They also don't pay for ads on TV or any other expensive advertising.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-28-2021, 09:02 AM   #42
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
My view is that umbrella protects you from a devastating judgement and really has nothing to do with your assets.

If I had total assets of $300K and someone won a $1 million judgement against me, I'd lose a lot of my assets (maybe not my house), and then they would garnish my income for the rest of my life.

If all I had was $300K, I'd be pretty unhappy to lose it.
You'd lose your non-exempt assets (primarily anything in a taxable account) but you'd then go file Chapter 7 bankruptcy to discharge whatever was left of the judgment (IIRC, civil judgments are not subject to Chapter 7 income limits)
ncbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2021, 09:54 AM   #43
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncbill View Post
You'd lose your non-exempt assets (primarily anything in a taxable account) but you'd then go file Chapter 7 bankruptcy to discharge whatever was left of the judgment (IIRC, civil judgments are not subject to Chapter 7 income limits)
Thanks...... Having never been sued, I thought a debt like that was permanent. Now I know why some folks drive around without any insurance.
There doesn't seem to be a risk of future earnings.
Old 03-28-2021, 12:40 PM   #44
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
I will see what Erie and Amica say about umbrella and auto, but they are not going to quote on HO in Florida.

No major national company, that I am aware of, writes HO in Florida. Certainly not on the coast!

There are two large national insurers that operate in Florida: USAA and Progressive. Most other recognizable names are single-state subsidiaries that are not backed by the financial resources of the parent. For example, State Farm Florida is not in a pool with State Farm Fire, and it will go bankrupt if it exceeds its reinsurance limits.
teej1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2021, 12:55 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by teej1985 View Post
There are two large national insurers that operate in Florida: USAA and Progressive. Most other recognizable names are single-state subsidiaries that are not backed by the financial resources of the parent. For example, State Farm Florida is not in a pool with State Farm Fire, and it will go bankrupt if it exceeds its reinsurance limits.

USAA refused twice to write an HO policy in Florida for us. They may only insure active duty homes or homes they previously insured.
Dash man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2021, 01:27 PM   #46
Give me a forum ...

USAA is out, are you saying Progressive writes HO in Florida?

Quote:
Originally Posted by teej1985 View Post
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2021, 01:36 PM   #47

Quote:

We went through Synergy Insurance as a broker. We ended up with coverage from Lloyds of London insuring our Florida condo, and using a different broker at the Jersey Shore, we also ended up with Lloyds of London. These are both just the homeowners. For umbrella, USAA put us with USLI.
Old 03-28-2021, 01:39 PM   #48

My understanding is the USAA will insure you in Florida if you are already a military member and are assigned there on official orders. Otherwise they stopped years ago.
Old 03-28-2021, 01:51 PM   #49
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
My understanding is that they do. Though maybe it has changed in the past couple years. And maybe not necessarily every possible house in FL.
Old 03-28-2021, 02:06 PM   #50
Recycles dryer sheets

My secondary umbrella is under $500 for $5M, placed with a secondary insurer by my agent, with the Safeco coverage limited to $2M. This is with a rental property, no pools.
oiseux is offline   Reply With Quote
Umbrella
Old 03-28-2021, 02:07 PM   #51
Recycles dryer sheets

Umbrella

No, renewed my policy this year and it was a minimal increase over last year <5%

Something is very weird to see a 300% Y/Y increase IMO.
SeattleRocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2021, 05:52 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by sengsational View Post
Consumer Reports did a study on insurance companies' pricing with new and existing customers. I don't recall specific names, but there were many recognizable names that had their hands solidly in the existing customer cookie jar, without a doubt. I'm pretty sure Amica wasn't caught penalizing their long term customers.
We've had to do it a couple of times, most notably with Nationwide, which quoted an eye-rolling rate to add our daughter to our insurance.

Most recently, our quote from Progressive was simply uncompetitive when we moved to Virginia. State Farm was hundreds less.
Out of Steam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2021, 06:01 PM   #53

We have a 4MM Umbrella policy including Uninsured/Underinsured with State Farm, which underwrites all of our policies. Premium is $633/yr. One home, 2 autos. I sure hope the premium doesn't increase.
Old 03-29-2021, 09:55 AM   #54
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
They do in some areas at least, so it's worth a shot to try them.

The way it was explained to me was that it's through Progressive, but it's really a smaller company they bought, so the policy doesn't actually show "Progressive". Supposedly, it's to keep their investors happy somehow. Also, it is only within the last four or five years they've been writing in FL again. I'm guessing that's when they bought the other company.
always_learning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2021, 03:02 PM   #55
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dash man View Post
USAA refused twice to write an HO policy in Florida for us. They may only insure active duty homes or homes they previously insured.

This is not the case. If you want USAA keep trying. When I bought my townhouse in March of 2019 they said no. Three months later I was changing my car policy and when done asked to be transferred to property just to check and they were willing to underwrite. Just depends on their risk exposure at the time. They cost a bit more than what I had to get through closing but I'm happy to have their customer service and deep pockets. First renewal in 2020 was no surprise for HO or umbrella.
FLSUnFIRE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2021, 03:18 PM   #56

FYI: I just checked. for a 1 mil buck bumbershoot policy the price hasn't changed at all for the 2021-2022 season
razztazz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2021, 04:10 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLSUnFIRE View Post
This is not the case. If you want USAA keep trying. When I bought my townhouse in March of 2019 they said no. Three months later I was changing my car policy and when done asked to be transferred to property just to check and they were willing to underwrite. Just depends on their risk exposure at the time. They cost a bit more than what I had to get through closing but I'm happy to have their customer service and deep pockets. First renewal in 2020 was no surprise for HO or umbrella.

Iíll check the next time the policies renew. Lloyds of London has deep pockets too, and the policies are priced well. It would be convenient to be under one insurer, so I would like to change if I can. USAA customer service is usually very good, but the broker Iíve worked with have also been good. The only claims Iíve ever had were with USAA, and I had to write to the CEO because the agent handling one claim wasnít cooperative. Within a week of mailing the letter my claim was resolved.
Old 03-29-2021, 04:55 PM   #58
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLSUnFIRE View Post
This also could depend on what USAA company you are tiered in.

USAA
USAA CIC - descendants of USAA tier
Garrison Property & Casualty - descendants of CIC tier

There are others.
Old 03-29-2021, 05:07 PM   #59
Recycles dryer sheets

Mine almost doubled as well. Also in FL. It is getting out of control.
Karloff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2021, 06:29 PM   #60
Recycles dryer sheets

My Florida $5million umbrella policy cost jumped. I switched to Progressive and saved significant $$.

Tags
insurance, premium increase, umbrella liability