Join Early Retirement Today

Umbrella premium tripled!
Old 03-26-2021, 07:51 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Umbrella premium tripled!

Opened a bill from GEICO to learn that our personal liability umbrella premium is $1,227, a 300% increase from last year.

While we weren't too surprised at a 25% jump in our homeowner's premium - those have gone up all over Florida - we are flabbergasted at seeing our liability cost increase like this. Cannot think of anything that could have brought it on. The only "risky" thing we own is a swimming pool.

Anyone else seeing a big jump in their umbrella bill?
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-26-2021, 07:56 PM   #2
Give me a forum ...

No, I just renewed mine at $1,447, but it covers three cars and five homes, including a short term rental beach property in New Jersey and a beach condo in Florida. We use USLI.
Dash man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 07:59 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Add: The enclosure itemizes the premium as home, auto, and $745 for "additional premium for additional coverage to $3M." So it sounds like GEICO doesn't like to offer more than $2M coverage, which is a rather small umbrella. Sounds like we need to find somebody else. Too bad we can't use USAA.

We have one (5-year-old) car, one house, no rentals.

Credit rating in the 800's.
Old 03-26-2021, 08:07 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
Opened a bill from GEICO to learn that our personal liability umbrella premium is $1,227, a 300% increase from last year.
Ours (State Farm) is a small fraction of that for $1 million, but we carry $250/$500K auto insurance limits and Virginia is not a plaintiff-friendly state.
Out of Steam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 08:45 PM   #5

Amica charges us $450 for $5 million.
Ready is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 08:53 PM   #6

Farmers Insurance charges me $182 for $1 million with underlying limits of $250/500,000 on auto and HO liability of $500,000.

I think I checked with Geico about three years ago for umbrella. They had quoted me on auto and HO but as soon as I said the word umbrella the rep said Geico doesn't do that in Oregon! So I think Geico is finicky about umbrella policies.
Old 03-26-2021, 09:31 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

2020 was our first year with Geico.

Our 1mil umbrella policy with Geico went up 34% from 2020 to 2021.

No claims, same vehicles and home as the year before. No rentals.

I didn't renew.
winger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 10:36 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Add: The enclosure itemizes the premium as home, auto, and $745 for "additional premium for additional coverage to $3M." So it sounds like GEICO doesn't like to offer more than $2M coverage, which is a rather small umbrella. Sounds like we need to find somebody else. Too bad we can't use USAA.

Why can't you use USAA? I have a $1M umbrella with them right now, and I think they offer up to $5M.

ETA: Oh wait, I live in a different state, so that's probably it.
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 10:46 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:

Did they simply raise your coverage for you as a "proactive service" and would turn it down to 2M if you phoned ?
Old 03-27-2021, 02:37 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

USAA told me my Dad's WWII service didn't count! He was in uniform for about a year, for special service as an electrician at an Army base. He had a minor disability that kept him out of regular service.

[QUOTE=Amethyst;2582705]

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecondCor521 View Post
Why can't you use USAA? I have a $1M umbrella with them right now, and I think they offer up to $5M.
Old 03-27-2021, 04:34 AM   #11

Quote:
it sounds like GEICO doesn't like to offer more than $2M coverage, which is a rather small umbrella.
Not just them; many companies cap their normal umbrella coverage at $2M. They raise both rates and underwriting requirements significantly above that level.
Old 03-27-2021, 04:56 AM   #12
Administrator

State Farm did that with me. The premium for $3M was substantially above the premium for $2M. It’s their way of telling us they really don’t want that extra $1M of business.

One significant but little mentioned factor in these price increases is the fall in interest rates. They make money from the reserves, that income has fallen and needs to be replaced.
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2021, 05:25 AM   #13

I'm on the Board of Directors for my Homeowners Association. Our property manager told us recently that insurance agents are telling property management companies to expect large increases in premiums when policies are renewed this year.

Didn't really explain why.
Lewis Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2021, 06:00 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

My umbrella is also a crazy premium of 2k in FLA for 2m of coverage, but also includes a 21 year old.
Old 03-27-2021, 06:08 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
USAA told me my Dad's WWII service didn't count! He was in uniform for about a year, for special service as an electrician at an Army base. He had a minor disability that kept him out of regular service.

USAA sent me to one of their partner companies, United States Liability Insurance (USLI), for umbrella coverage because of our Florida condo and Jersey Shore homes. At the time they weren’t writing policies in Florida or New Jersey. They just tried to bring us back, but quoted a policy about $50 higher than USLI. Maybe give them a try. You have to go through a broker though.
Dash man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2021, 06:21 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Our State Farm $2M policy is $178. We had Geico but when my daughter's then BF had a minor accident in her car (on our policy) their umbrella division kicked us off even thought the auto division didn't raise their rates. I dropped all Geico policies and consolidated at SF.
Old 03-27-2021, 06:47 AM   #17

Timely. It's that time o' the year. Any week now I should be getting my annual umbrella policy renewal stuff. I am also with GEICO. I'll post if I get anything unusual
razztazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2021, 06:53 AM   #18

Mine just renewed recently (USAA) and was exactly the same as last year.
Old 03-27-2021, 07:09 AM   #19

A few years ago, I thought it would be good to increase my umbrella with Amica. I called and hit resistance. Lots of questions about why and what changed. I'm not sure I ever even got a price. Ended up staying at $1M. Fast forward to a month ago and they called me to review my coverages. They asked if I wanted to increase my umbrella! So if they suggested it, it's great, if I suggest it, it's not? I found it strange. I thought retirement assets had greater protection, so didn't buy more. Not too confident about that decision, but let it go this year at least.
sengsational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2021, 08:19 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

^ I found that was the case for me when I started looking at buying an umbrella policy also. When I start looking I was in the process of reviewing my insurance so I was getting prices from 3 companies. I did get prices but it took weeks to get an answer and price of the umbrella policy. I always thought that being odd. I did purchase one and will have to check on price I pay for a 1M coverage. I believe just under 200$ and no increase as of now.
street is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
insurance, premium increase, umbrella liability