Unconventional stimulus package

REWahoo

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give
I ran across this proposal for a different approach to a govt. stimulus package:

Moving beyond conventional remedies

One of the ideas put forth is an immigration-based plan to boost the housing market:

"Congress could help the weak housing market by expanding permanent immigrant visas, or green cards, for those who promise to buy a house costing at least $300,000. At $300,000 a house, 100,000 visas could pour $30 billion into real estate markets, 200,000 visas could pour $60 billion. This influx of money would help stem deterioration in house prices, the root of the financial crisis.

Given the enormous desire abroad to get into America, the Immigration and Naturalization Service should have no trouble filling slots. Two hundred thousand visas is less than two tenths of one percent of our 155 million labor force, and skilled workers would make a valuable contribution to research and innovation."

I can hear Joe Sixpack screaming, "I'm outta work and you're gonna invite more furiners to move here and reduce my chances of finding work?!?! Like Hell you are!"

Ah the "beauty" of "unintended consequences". One thing we do not have here in America is a shortage of goofy ideas. What happens if the "promise" is unfulfilled - they stay anyway or do they have to make a deposit with DHS of the cash when they enter? I doubt that and then when they do not fulfill the promise the "bleeding hearts" will ignore it.

Ah the "beauty" of "unintended consequences". One thing we do not have here in America is a shortage of goofy ideas. What happens if the "promise" is unfulfilled - they stay anyway or do they have to make a deposit with DHS of the cash when they enter? I doubt that and then when they do not fulfill the promise the "bleeding hearts" will ignore it.
FWIW, the Hudson Institute is known as a conservative think tank (more precisely neoconservative), just for the record. So their views are not generally known as "bleeding heart."

If the gov't would just write me a check for my stock losses, I will go sail off in the sunset with cd's under one arm and Helena under the other. :D

I can hear Joe Sixpack screaming, "I'm outta work and you're gonna invite more furiners to move here and reduce my chances of finding work?!?! Like Hell you are!"

I kept reading about how, when baby boomers hit the nursing home in drove, there will not be enough caretakers. Will Joe Sixpack be willing to change bedpans?

If the gov't would just write me a check for my stock losses, I will go sail off in the sunset with cd's under one arm and Helena under the other. :D

LOL !!!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom