Join Early Retirement Today

Unexpected Donation
Old 06-20-2005, 02:54 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Unexpected Donation

I'm glad the old bird saved, but sheesh...

"Sharon Green Mitchell, another cousin, said Green and her father stopped talking for a couple of years when Green denied owing her dad $6.76."

http://www.cnn.com/2005/EDUCATION/06...d.donation.ap/
moghopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Unexpected Donation
Old 06-20-2005, 07:48 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Well, Cut-Throat, I guess this is one answer to the question "What are you saving for?!?"

I wonder if he left any of his estate to his family. Minus $6.76 plus interest, of course...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2005, 05:55 AM   #3
Dryer sheet wannabe

I do not understand this. Why do people scrimp and save just to leave money to someone or something after they die? A fellow I work with received a 6 figure inheritance from his mother when she died. He was upset because he knew his mother could have lived better and done some of the things she wanted to instead of doing without and giving the money to him. He is not rich, but in his own words, “I didn’t need the money”. I hope when my mother goes, she doesn’t leave me a dime. I hope she uses it for herself and enjoys herself a little. I have a few tools from my dad and I know my mom has set aside a few of her things for me and that is all I want. Why save and do without?
Old 06-21-2005, 06:41 AM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Welllllll

You are talking to a poster who is want to brag immodestly about living on 12k/yr in ER as his all time personal best year.

I'm prone to rehash this milestone everytime dryer sheets, budgets, etc come up in threads. Needless to say - we spend more now.

The march of time(pensions kicking in, SS) - tide of history(the 90's market) - has Firecalc giving us 70 -80k - a number I refuse to believe.

It is extremely painful to give up the joy of 'Cheap SOB' (her words not mine) - but for sake of peace in the household I've been trying hard - AND it is hard.
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2005, 07:51 AM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Re: Mr. Green:

I personally left home at 17 to escape the rural poverty that I was raised in, with the full blessing and understanding of my father. I had no doubt in myself, and the fact that I had a reasonably level playing field (white male), was confident that I would do alright.

Mr. Green, however, when he was 17, was black and the year was 1937. His world, and the barriers that were solidly in place at that time were such that even the thought of being able to figure out how to scrape by enough for the most basic of needs was a challenge.

As far as I am concerned, regardless of his obvious "frugility", he led an exemplary life, and
had the strength of character to follow through on a lifetime goal. My guess is that he died with a great deal of "peace of mind".
Jarhead* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2005, 08:19 AM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

So what's the problem? Mr. Green had everything he wanted or needed. Apparently he didn't depend on anyone else, certainly not the government. Now his money will be used to fund education and he might be remembered forever. He can do what he blankety-blank pleases with his money, that's what independence does for you. Was he frugal to a fault? Probably. Happy, I hope so!

Disclaimer: My Posts are for my amusement only.
Eagle43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2005, 08:26 AM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle43
So what's the problem? Mr. Green had everything he wanted or needed. Apparently he didn't depend on anyone else, certainly not the government. Now his money will be used to fund education and he might be remembered forever.
As I mentioned, I'm all for him saving to his heart's content. And I think his donation is admirable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle43
He can do what he blankety-blank pleases with his money, that's what independence does for you. Was he frugal to a fault? Probably. Happy, I hope so!
To each his own. I think his family is putting a good face on it, but I bet they grumbled plenty about him.

"Now it's funny, but years ago you would sometimes get annoyed," Mitchell said.

moghopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2005, 10:34 AM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

Significant contributions to help children are always to be praised, but I feel sorry for Mr. Green. He could have lived a much more comfortable life and still left a substantial legacy. Sometimes, I think, saving/ investment can become such a passion that it is in fact a manifestation of mental illness.
playaman is offline   Reply With Quote