Join Early Retirement Today

Unfreezing Equifax Credit
Old 09-21-2022, 12:52 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Unfreezing Equifax Credit

I must be a glutton for punishment.

Has anyone like me who's been totally stonewalled by Equifax had any luck trying to unfreeze their credit?

I'm going to try the snail mail approach. Hope is not high but might have a better change than calling or trying online.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-21-2022, 12:55 PM   #2

Snail mail does work, but don't expect a quick response.
Old 09-21-2022, 01:04 PM   #3
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post

Has anyone like me who's been totally stonewalled by Equifax had any luck trying to unfreeze their credit?

I'm going to try the snail mail approach. Hope is not high but might have a better change than calling or trying online.
Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Understatement.

I had an issue some years back. Strangely enough, it completely went away after opening a credit monitoring account with them. I cancelled after 3 weeks, so it cost 1 month enrollment - $12 IIRC.
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2022, 01:05 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

I did it last week online no issues, instantaneous.
Old 09-21-2022, 01:29 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Understatement.

I had an issue some years back. Strangely enough, it completely went away after opening a credit monitoring account with them. I cancelled after 3 weeks, so it cost 1 month enrollment - $12 IIRC.
That might be my next chess move.

If the snail does unfreeze my credit, the next move may be to say "Oh, I want to sign up for your wonderful (yeah, right) credit monitoring account but have a trouble getting into my account". They'll probably fix the unable to access in a flash knowing they'll get another sucker signing up.
Old 09-21-2022, 01:30 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I'd rather go snail mail, even if not quick than go through their cruel and unusual so called "fast" method.
Old 09-21-2022, 01:31 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShokWaveRider View Post
I did it last week online no issues, instantaneous.

But did you have the situation where you had to prove your identity first?
Old 09-21-2022, 01:40 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

IIRC there was a thread about this on Bogleheads. It sounded like a problem for some but not for others.
Graybeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2022, 01:42 PM   #9
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I successfully unfroze my credit with Equifax for a short while, a few months ago, with no issues. Unfortunately, I don't remember the details, other than the fact that it went smoothly. It didn't cost me anything.

Major Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2022, 02:03 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I did. I had kept meticulous records of PINS, etc, for all 3 bureaus but when I applied for a credit card and had to unlock records, Equifax wanted me to snail-mail a copy of my driver's license. Oh, yeah, so you can lose MORE of my data to the dark web. Fortunately the cc company accepted another bureau. To be fair, it may have been Experian but it was one of the "E" companies.

I'm not into credit card churning but it really does make me reluctant to apply for new credit.

The fun part of freezing credit is catching companies trying to sneak in and check it. When I became a signatory on the Garden Club checking account the bank collected my SSN, made a copy of my Driver's License, and then called me at home because they couldn't access my credit records. I asked why they needed that. They claimed it was to confirm my identity. So they didn't trust a local DL?
athena53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2022, 02:03 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Not sure, my credit has been frozen for years. They must know who I am I guess. I have a code I use.
Old 09-21-2022, 02:17 PM   #12

I’ve been lucky that I’ve had no issues unfreezing or re-freezing my credit with any of the 3 credit bureaus. I first froze them all probably 7 years ago using each company’s website. I kept track of any Pin Code that they gave, if they gave one. I have temporarily unfrozen each of them about 5 times over those 7 years for a variety of reasons. And then refrozen them. I guess I’ve just been lucky, because I keep reading about peoples issues with Equifax, in particular.
PaunchyPirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2022, 02:32 PM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:

Yip. I refuse to snail mail any company who's IT systems are so screwed up. I won't do the snail mail thing ever with Equifax. When I need a credit pull I inform them that only two of the three credit reports will be unfrozen then just unfreeze those two.

Never had any issues with this process and the lenders have never complained.
ExPatKiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2022, 02:42 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExPatKiwi View Post
Yip. I refuse to snail mail any company who's IT systems are so screwed up. I won't do the snail mail thing ever with Equifax. When I need a credit pull I inform them that only two of the three credit reports will be unfrozen then just unfreeze those two.

Never had any issues with this process and the lenders have never complained.
My problems started after that big Equifax breach a few years ago and that gave that free credit monitoring service. I got suckered into signing up and somewhere along the way my online sign in stopped working (actually be them changing things that cause the sign in to not work).

So, after trying and trying online and phone they told me to send in proof. So I did but anyhow got a canned letter saying to send in proof (what? I just did, that's nonsense). Searching the internet I see that wasn't just me as others suffered the same stonewalling.

The irony is I have no problem getting my annual credit report for them through the annualcreditreport. Equifax hands out my credit report like candy in this case.
Old 09-21-2022, 03:00 PM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
My problems started after that big Equifax breach a few years ago and that gave that free credit monitoring service. I got suckered into signing up and somewhere along the way my online sign in stopped working (actually be them changing things that cause the sign in to not work).

Ditto here.
ExPatKiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2022, 03:33 PM   #16

These issues are one reason why I don't freeze, and chose to monitor instead. I get a notification from 2 places, if there are inquiries or new accounts, and can also check when I want. I figure knowing about the inquiries gives me the chance to whack anything before it's a problem, vs. almost always having a problem when I actually want to use my credit.
Aerides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2022, 05:24 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Did you unfreeze by snail mail? If so, did you get any feedback as Equifax as to the unfreeze actually done?
Old 09-22-2022, 04:16 AM   #18

Quote:
Did you unfreeze by snail mail? If so, did you get any feedback as Equifax as to the unfreeze actually done?
Not me; my neighbor went through that process, so I don't know any more details.
Old 09-22-2022, 05:02 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Understatement.

I will remember this. I have done it online a couple of times in the last few years but there was a period shortly after they changed from pins to passwords that I couldn't get into my accounts at a couple of these outfits - they asked authentication questions I couldn't answer. You would think the jerks would allow you to authenticate to add a password with the alleged "forever" pin they gave you, but no.
Old 09-22-2022, 06:42 AM   #20

I meticulously froze with all 3 bureaus and used the telephone voice response system and PINS to manage the unfreezing.

This worked well -- until it didn't once they retired those legacy systems.

Not sure what I am going to do going forward, but I will bookmark this thread.

Thanks.
gauss is offline   Reply With Quote