Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist Coverage... yea or nea?

I just ask Amica about an Umbrella policy.
Minimum on auto 250K/500k. Covers my 3 cars, one vacant lot and home.
The policy does not cover UIM.
Price $318, I can add UIM.
With that the total cost is $876.
If you have an Amica Umbrella policy and think you have UIM, you better make sure.
It is not standard.
PS, My son read this and said I should use asked as the 3rd word in my 1st sentence, what do you say?

It is probably not covered because traditional Umbrella insurance is "liability" insurance. It insures you against claims made against you. Not for your property or personal losses. I guess Amica will add a rider for the extra 560 ISH.

I just ask Amica about an Umbrella policy.
Minimum on auto 250K/500k. Covers my 3 cars, one vacant lot and home.
The policy does not cover UIM.
Price $318, I can add UIM.
With that the total cost is $876.
If you have an Amica Umbrella policy and think you have UIM, you better make sure.
It is not standard.
PS, My son read this and said I should use asked as the 3rd word in my 1st sentence, what do you say?

Wouldn't it be cheaper to raise the UIM on the auto insurance for all 3 cars ?

Sounds like I need to I find out exactly what UIM covers. Maybe the usual cost when you use the UIM insurance is not a huge payout or happens very rarely. However, since it costs so much, I don't think that is so.

Last edited:
Time2, and everyone else, here is a link to an analysis of UM/UIM costs which includes tables showing key data for each state. The article's author, Sandee Perfetto, is someone I worked with in my career.

https://www.verisk.com/insurance/visualize/a-look-at-uninsured-and-underinsured-motorist-coverages/

At the end of the article, there is a link to a pdf file (no paywall, to my surprise) which goes into more detail and includes tables like those I created for my division's use. Florida BTW is the costliest state for UM/UIM.

https://indd.adobe.com/view/948feb95-b28d-4265-b9b0-6b2e830f7b51

The article came out last November, so while it's pretty current, it wouldn't reflect the cost reductions due to Covid.

I was talking with a friend this morning comparing notes as we are both shopping for car insurance. He said that his agent asked him whether they were on Medicare and he responded yes, and the agent said that many of his customers on Medicare were dropping UI coverage. It sort of makes sense, though there would be some risks that one might want coverage for. I found this: https://www.weshopinsurance.com/new...you for injuries,driver (not enough insurance).

I (and everybody that rides in my car) have health insurance, so I'm not too worried about the medical part of an uninsured accident.

My question is of all of this other stuff (pain, suffering, LTC, death, etc) will the insurance company just pony up the money or do you have to get an attorney and fight them for it? My guess is you'll have to lawyer-up if you want the insurance company to actually pay for this other stuff. Anybody have experience with this?

I have 25/50 UIM $41/6months.

Back
Top Bottom