Join Early Retirement Today

Unintended Consequences - IRMAA
Old 12-02-2020, 09:42 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Send a message via Yahoo to lem1955
Unintended Consequences - IRMAA

Some mistakes I can share on any social media site so friends can learn from mine. This one results in sharing too much about my own income so I won't share on Facebook. But perhaps you can learn from mine.

In 2019 I needed to take about $95,000 from my Trad IRA to pay expenses in addition to other taxable income I had from other sources. I also converted $33,900 to ROTH. And at the last moment I withdrew another $31,500 to pay off my HELOC because the market had done so well. In total my MAGI came to $197,400 for the year. I didn't need to do the ROTH conversion or the HELOC payoff. But by doing so I triggered Income-Related Monthly Adjustment Amount of $59.40 on Medicare Part B and $12.30/month on Part D, for a total increase over my base Medicare cost of $860.40 for 2021. It feels good to be debt free, but it will feel much better when I can go back to below the IRMAA threshold income.

You can be sure I won't make THAT mistake again.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-02-2020, 09:43 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Measure three times, cut once.
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 09:56 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Then throw that board in the scrap pile and get a new one.
Old 12-02-2020, 10:00 AM   #4

I share your pain! I have been carefully trying to manage income and stay below the IRMAA limit. What I didn't plan for and couldn't plan for was my stock club deciding to disband in 2019. That distribution put me over so I'm in the higher tier for 2021.
powerplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 10:26 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lem1955 View Post
In 2019 I needed to take about $95,000 from my Trad IRA to pay expenses in addition to other taxable income I had from other sources. I also converted $33,900 to ROTH. And at the last moment I withdrew another $31,500 to pay off my HELOC because the market had done so well. In total my MAGI came to $197,400 for the year. I didn't need to do the ROTH conversion or the HELOC payoff. But by doing so I triggered Income-Related Monthly Adjustment Amount of $59.40 on Medicare Part B and $12.30/month on Part D, for a total increase over my base Medicare cost of $860.40 for 2021. It feels good to be debt free, but it will feel much better when I can go back to below the IRMAA threshold income.
First world problem? We’re pretty much stuck with higher tier IRMAAs now that they narrowed the thresholds. DH paid 3.7x the standard rate this year including the part D IRMAA. We’re draining his HSA fast. Oh, well.
Old 12-02-2020, 10:46 AM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

Yes! I can relate as well. We pulled a bunch out of IRAs in 2018 to pay our house off. I started Medicare in 2020 and learned then about the cost of Part B and D IRMAA payments. Luckily, that was for
the 4 mos only and now my IRMAA premium bill came for 2021 and itís just another $59 a month more instead of $315. Part D is $12 instead of $70. Whew!
Travelfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 12:29 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Much like ACA, Part B and D are income based. Even without a surcharge I'm surprised at how much the two of us pay for complete coverage under Medicare. I know way back when I started figuring retirements expenses, I really underestimated what the true cost of Medicare is.
ivinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 02:00 PM   #8
Dryer sheet wannabe

We are in the same boat with IRMAA. Wife inherited IRA from her Mother. so we will be paying more for Medicare in 2021. I think it will drop off in 2022 because we will be below the IRMAA amount this year.
JARON46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 02:06 PM   #9

Believe me, the IRMAA surcharge catches lots of people by surprise (well, once anyway). After you become aware of it, you tend to watch those thresholds pretty closely.

The good thing is that once you drop back below a threshold amount, the surcharge goes away automatically -- you don't have to do anything special to drop it, just like you didn't have to do anything special for it to be imposed.
Old 12-02-2020, 03:02 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Believe me, the IRMAA surcharge catches lots of people by surprise
No joke!

I wish I could "vent" about it here.....
Old 12-02-2020, 04:31 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

It is my understanding that you can file a request to have your premium calculation re-evaluated if your income has dropped from two years prior and you can substantiate. It may just require a tax return from one year prior instead of the 2 yrs prior that is used for the initial determination. I am barely familiar with this and trying to get up to speed. I expect one of the forum "experts" will be along shortly, but in the meantime here is something on the topic:

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/sh...ges-2020-10-05
Old 12-02-2020, 04:42 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

^^^^^^^

I think you need to file form SSA-44 for any reconsideration.. I know I'm thinking about it for next year.
Old 12-02-2020, 06:10 PM   #13

What gets me is that IRMAA can be triggered by Roth conversions. This is for money earned many years ago. I know it wasn't taxed back then, but it was income then AND reported. I almost went over the trigger this years because my spreadsheet erroneously linked to my "taxable" income rather than my AGI/MAGI. I caught it about 2 hours before I pulled the trigger on the conversion while doing a final check.
CRLLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 06:20 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

I celebrate my IRMAA surcharge! Proof that we're living large -
Old 12-02-2020, 06:43 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
First world problem?
Pretty much for us. DW got nailed with IRMAA this year because of the capital gains on our house sale in 2018. The amount above the $500k capital gains exemption for a house sale was still quite sizable.
statsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 08:56 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieB View Post
I celebrate my IRMAA surcharge! Proof that we're living large)
Yup
Only people with a lot of money whine about Medicare premium surcharges.
davebarnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 08:58 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Yeah, big wow eh? Compared to paying the premium all by myself it's a gift.
Old 12-03-2020, 12:24 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
I'm trying hard to avoid this issue, but when many balls are in the air, it's a little difficult to avoid the extra charge.
I thought the reason was to pay for the extra's that rich folks get when on Medicare, like caviar and champagne when hospitalized.
Old 12-03-2020, 09:07 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

I hope all you posters with "one more year" syndrome are reading this...
ivinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 09:08 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivinsfan View Post
I hope all you posters with "one more year" syndrome are reading this...

Yeah, more work years, bigger nest egg, more taxes and other gotchas!

Tags
irmaa, mistake