Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-22-2017, 06:47 AM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Are you referring to just mortality cost of insurance charges or to total premiums? If you are referring to mortality charges of course they increase with age... that would be true of term, or UL COI charges or mortality costs imbedded in whole life pricing... if so then your point is a perceptive glimpse of the obvious.

So all else being equal if you pay $x/month in whole life premiums or UL premiums or even BTID in bonds, then it should be sufficient to provide life insurance coverage for life.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-22-2017, 06:51 AM   #42
Give me a forum ...

whole life is 100% premium for the cost of insurance until death .

if you figure the total costs usually by age 100-105 you would have paid in via premiums ,reinvested interest and dividends the value of the policy less fees and expenses .

if you tried to keep term until the same age term it will cost you a lot more less fees and expenses .

generally ul is priced like term so the older you get the more you will pay for that insurance until you are paying more than you would have had you bought whole life instead . ul can be more costly trying to hold it in to your 90's
mathjak107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 07:30 AM   #43
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldShooter View Post
@independent, you seem to be very familiar with this subject. Despite my request, former salesman @brucethebroker is apparently not interested in explaining the financial aspects of these policies, like commissions and costs. How about you? Can you explain these?
I think your post #36 is the most important response. I agree that most people do not need life insurance late in life. Most of us are better off buying term when we have others relying on our wages, then dropping it as our financial position changes. That's what I did, just like you.

So, discussions of "UL can be funded at a level that makes it a permanent policy" are irrelevant to most people, and this post is just a theoretical question.

In a UL policy, you pay a premium, the company probably deducts some "percent of premium" expense, at least 2% (because state premium taxes are about 2%). The rest goes into a fund. Each month, the company credits interest to your fund, deducts some expense charge, and deducts the cost of insurance.

That last factor is (insurance charge per thousand) x (excess of your death benefit over your current fund).

Note that the charge per thousand goes up as you age. If you're putting enough money into the policy, the "excess of death benefit over your fund" is decreasing. So, it's possible for the dollar amount of the monthly mortality charges to be level or even decrease, even though the rate per thousand goes up.

That same mechanism happens in traditional life policies (except the calculations are annual instead of monthly). In UL they are visible, in traditional they are hidden.

Now, for expense loads. Some are labeled - the percent of premium and the monthly expense charge. But, others are hidden.

The interest credited is not equal to the interest the company earns on its bond portfolio. The difference covers expected credit losses, some contribution to "profit" or "cost of capital" (depending on your politics), and some operating expenses.

The mortality charge is not exactly equal to the expected mortality rate. Again, the company charges more to cover expenses and profit goals. (Due to some regulatory issues, I think the room to charge expenses on the mortality charge has decreased, but I haven't kept up on that.)

In practice, the first year cost of putting the policy in force - Marketing, Sales, Underwriting, and FY Admin - exceed the actual first year premium. So the company goes in the hole in the first year. It recovers that FY loss, and pays the annual admin costs, through all all the loads mentioned above.

Back in the day, the company I worked for illustrated a significant step in factors after the first 10 years. In the 11th year, the interest load decreased (so interest paid increased), the mortality load decreased (so there was a downward jog in mortality charges, and the explicit monthly expense factor decreased. This all occurred because the company planned to recover that first year loss over the first 10 policy years.

All that was similar to what that company did for traditional policies. The differences were that the calculation was annual instead of monthly, and all this stuff was completely hidden from the buyer. It was just a premium, a guaranteed death benefit and surrender value, and a non-guaranteed dividend. The dividends got bigger as the policy aged, partially because early year dividends were squeezed by the need to recover first year losses.

That's for a simple interest crediting UL. If you really care about an equity indexed UL, where the credited interest is tied to a stock index, I can same some stuff, but it will be another long post.
Independent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 07:33 AM   #44
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
not according to those who have done the calculations . they say the outcome with ul by age 100 costs a lot more just like term would since it is priced like term and whole life would cost less . .
Could you provide a link to those who have done the calculations?
Independent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 07:34 AM   #45
Give me a forum ...

let me see what i can find
mathjak107 is offline   Reply With Quote