Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-29-2009, 08:03 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdw_fire View Post
how bout the buy a COLAd SPIA to cover "needs" and use the rest of your portfolio for wants strategy?
To me, this should be the "base strategy" for most people. The neat thing is that once you've covered your needs, you can spend the rest of your money in whatever pattern you like -- spend half of it on an around-the-world cruise in the first year if that strikes your fancy. Certainly, you don't need to go with the very conservative 4% withdrawals on the rest, 8% makes more sense.

By "base strategy" I mean that you do the calculation even if you don't think this is where you're going to end up. It helps clarify your goals and it provides realistic numbers. One problem is that private COLA'd SPIAs aren't very common today, but anybody can defer SS and get the same result.

Most people don't do this. I'd guess the big problems are that people don't like to "lose control" of their money, and they have trouble identifying "wants" that they are willing to put at risk.
Independent is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-29-2009, 12:36 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdw_fire View Post
it was cut throat.
Thanks! Yeah, for the life of me I couldn't remember his forum name. I knew it was some type of trout!

Audrey
audreyh1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 07:34 PM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOL! View Post
So this means that the frugalistas have to change their lifestyles and double their spending by adding an equal amount of frivolous expenses? (Unless we are in hard times now?)
Not at all. But I think it's important for people to realize that a 4% SWR that just covers basic needs is a heck of a lot more risky than a 4% SWR with plenty of fat built in.
Gone4Good is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 07:35 PM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Excerpts from the article:

University Endowments, "The Big Squeeze" - Wall Street Examiner Forums

Free to canoe
Free To Canoe is offline   Reply With Quote