Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Unrealistic Expectations
Old 04-18-2021, 11:34 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Unrealistic Expectations

I'm not sure where to put this, so Mods move it if it's in the wrong area

As the pandemic stretches on, I have noticed a lot of people with unrealistic expectations. A few examples are the fact that people expect a vaccine to be 100% effective, no side effects, no illness, and no pain. People are expecting colleges to be completely free, everybody accepted, no cost factor, and a ticket to a million dollar house on graduation. People are saying you can't build financial security as easily as past generations. Whether that's the 1950s, 1960s, 1970s, 1980s, 1990s, get it?

I don't know about you but I didn't start from an easy spot. If I could climb out of homelessness, work 1.5 jobs while desperately trying to not lose my home in the 1990s, have 2 kids own their own home in my HCOL area -- why can't others? My generation complained that 'we' had it harder than our parents and I'm sure our parents generation complained the same

Yes, they may have to forego shopping at Niemann's, buying a Tesla, megahome, gardener ..... but it's all about priorities.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-18-2021, 11:46 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

The difference that I see is that when I graduated from high school you could get a good paying job with no skills at a factory. This allowed people to buy homes and have families. Now many non skilled people work for minimum wage. It’s a huge difference.
Old 04-18-2021, 11:49 AM   #3

We don't / didn't have factories but I guess that's a valid point in some areas.

In & Out Burgers pays $17 hr ..... if someone stays at a starter job then, yeah, no advancement
Old 04-18-2021, 11:54 AM   #4

My feeling is many younger people have lost that start at the bottom and work your way up career development that most of the E-R members here grew up with. Seems that many have become too soft, accepting of govt or other handouts, as opposed to working hard and making it on your own; starting at entry level and getting salary increases and promotion as way to climbing the ladder.

Agree that many have hard time to distinguish between wants and needs. Don't need a Tesla, but do need a vehicle to get to work. Don't need a megahome, but do need a roof over your head.

Maybe I am viewed as an unsympathetic hardass, but I have no sympathy for self-inflicted problems. You made a choice, now live with the consequences. It's part of being an adult. Stop with wanting a bailout or freebie, be happy with what you can have with your own money and time supplying the resources.

You can't spend yourself to prosperity.

Semi-Retired 7/1/16: working part-time (60%) for now [4/24/17 changed to 80%]
Retired Aug 2, 2017; age 53
Old 04-18-2021, 11:58 AM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

What about the internet? Barely existed 30 years ago and now lots of people are making a good living providing a service or product to the world which wasn’t even possible when most of us entered the workforce. There are opportunities today - just different than before.
Old 04-18-2021, 12:00 PM   #6

It's not JUST money. They expect everything to be easy!

Play a sport and didn't get a medal or trophy? UNFAIR!! Got a vaccine and less than 1 per million others got a blood clot?? UNFAIR / HAZARDOUS RESULT!! Applied to school and expected to either: pay for it based on income / work you're way through / scale back to an affordable school [1st 2 yrs at free community college]? UNFAIR!
Old 04-18-2021, 12:54 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by gayl View Post

Play a sport and didn't get a medal or trophy? UNFAIR!! Got a vaccine and less than 1 per million others got a blood clot?? UNFAIR / HAZARDOUS RESULT!! Applied to school and expected to either: pay for it based on income / work you're way through / scale back to an affordable school [1st 2 yrs at free community college]? UNFAIR!
Same stuff I heard 40-50 yrs ago and the same stuff old people used to "S" on young people about. plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose.

Tom Waits lyrics:

their memory's like a train
You can see it getting smaller as it pulls away
And the things you can't remember
Tell the things you can't forget that
History puts a saint in every dream
Old 04-18-2021, 01:41 PM   #8

The concept of delayed gratification has become all but extinct.
Old 04-18-2021, 02:11 PM   #9

And GET OFF MY LAWN!
Old 04-18-2021, 02:15 PM   #10

And alot of those complaining are my age!!
Old 04-18-2021, 02:24 PM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

Agreed. I wonder if the internet and everyone seeing all the “stuff” that everyone has (as well as homes, cars,etc) assume that is the norm. Creates these unrealistic expectations for these kids (young adults) and they just want it cuz it seems like everyone else has it. And mommy and daddy wanted to help them and protect them. But in the end they ruined them because nothing was expected of them and was just given to them.
Old 04-18-2021, 02:24 PM   #12
Administrator

Quote:
And alot of those complaining are my age!!
Indeed. A regular complaint I hear about Connecticut is that taxes are too high to retire here. Which baffles me, because they've been the same for a long time and it shouldn't come as a surprise. You had time to plan for the fact that you'd have to pay them, and if you didn't budget for them, then you didn't properly plan for retirement and probably should have stayed in the workforce a little longer.
Old 04-18-2021, 02:45 PM   #13
Full time employment: Posting here.

Not sure if it is out of context but I never felt it is impossible for me to make it, despite that I did not start working and saving until I was 36.

Perhaps it was because I chose to be single and have 70+ saving rate every year so all the progress I have made seems to be compressed compared to others. To me my "play the long game" is 15 years tops. But after 8 years of working my projection has been changing for shorter to reach the same goal for RE.

I think those who complains about the system are into a self-pity mode by blaming the uncontrollable. Hopelessness and/or long term illness can also do that to a person.

When I see people whine that they will never be able to retire, while knowing them do stupid things (keeping up with the joneses, several vacation trips a year, have no clue about how debt, tax, health insurance, and investing work), I would say they are the cause of their delayed retirement.
Old 04-18-2021, 03:35 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
Indeed. A regular complaint I hear about Connecticut is that taxes are too high to retire here. Which baffles me, because they've been the same for a long time and it shouldn't come as a surprise. You had time to plan for the fact that you'd have to pay them, and if you didn't budget for them, then you didn't properly plan for retirement and probably should have stayed in the workforce a little longer.
+1
My older sister chooses to blame the state she lived in her entire her entire life for taxing her SS so she can't afford to live there anymore. She's just retired at 72, took her SS at 62 and moved to another state so her primary source of income isn't taxed! I always thought she had money because every couple years she bought a new vehicle.[emoji849]

I don't think this attitude is anything new at all. Maybe the OP is just heard it more lately? I see people everywhere who failed to save and prepare some for no apparent reason. The 76yo man fetching carts at the grocery store has a reason he needs the money. I remember my 75yo teammate at Megacorp, he'd retired twice before, once with a pension.
Old 04-18-2021, 03:43 PM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
I'm not sure where to put this, so Mods move it if it's in the wrong area

As the pandemic stretches on, I have noticed a lot of people with unrealistic expectations. A few examples are the fact that people expect a vaccine to be 100% effective, no side effects, no illness, and no pain. People are expecting colleges to be completely free, everybody accepted, no cost factor, and a ticket to a million dollar house on graduation. People are saying you can't build financial security as easily as past generations. Whether that's the 1950s, 1960s, 1970s, 1980s, 1990s, get it?

I don't know about you but I didn't start from an easy spot. If I could climb out of homelessness, work 1.5 jobs while desperately trying to not lose my home in the 1990s, have 2 kids own their own home in my HCOL area -- why can't others? My generation complained that 'we' had it harder than our parents and I'm sure our parents generation complained the same

Yes, they may have to forego shopping at Niemann's, buying a Tesla, megahome, gardener ..... but it's all about priorities.

What a bunch of old fuddy duddys... the preferred route is Instagram model, YouTube star, or Twitch streamer. Case in point, the Kardashians! If they can do it anyone can.

Boomers with their saving money and work through the ranks mentality. Thats so old school!
Old 04-18-2021, 06:11 PM   #16
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freedomatlast View Post
The concept of delayed gratification has become all but extinct.
I think the concept of personal responsibility has become extinct. Everything seems to be someone's fault or responsibility.
Old 04-18-2021, 06:17 PM   #17

Quote:
Who is “they”? Are you referring to someone in your life that is irritating you by their behavior?

For as long as I can remember, there have been hard working people who find success and those who never get it. I don’t see it being any different today than it was 40 years ago when I first started my career. Not everyone in life is going to be successful. Some will be lazy, unintelligent, or just unlucky. It’s just part of life.
Old 04-18-2021, 06:24 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

There never were any factories near any place I ever lived. I knew about skilled trades and construction sites, as my father was a master electrician specializing in high-voltage construction. He raised three kids on his wages, and he never finished high school. He usually commuted about 40 miles to the sites his union assigned him to work, but he refused to live near those sites because the schools were bad.

OK, that was a million years ago, I am old, and he is long dead. The young tradespeople who come to our home, have interesting stories about how they got into their trades. One woman, a plumber who re-set a toilet for us, started out by helping the school janitor after school. The man who is repairing a tile floor for us, learned his trade from his grandfather, a Polish immigrant. We've also had four, count 'em, different sets of brothers doing a/c installation, home electrical repairs, and pest control. All these people are young enough to be my kids. The brother pairs all own their businesses.

I point out these things to show that there are many paths besides college - even today.

Quote:
We don't / didn't have factories but I guess that's a valid point in some areas.

In & Out Burgers pays $17 hr ..... if someone stays at a starter job then, yeah, no advancement
Old 04-18-2021, 07:11 PM   #19

Quote:
. People are saying you can't build financial security as easily as past generations. Whether that's the 1950s, 1960s, 1970s, 1980s, 1990s, get it? .

Some people do have unrealistic expectations, but I think it is absolutely true that it's more difficult to build financial security as easily as past generations (at least for most young people). Just look at the data............wages have been basically flat (or actually declining, when factoring in inflation) since about 1980. We've had a couple of recessions and a pandemic lately, that has really set a lot of young people back quite a few years in their careers. Sure, some highly motivated young folks have managed to avoid these pitfalls and still do fine, but a whole lot more are struggling. Personally, I am glad that I entered my working years when I did, as opposed to anytime in the last couple of decades. All you need to do is look at the huge increase in wealth inequality in this country over the last 30-40 years to see where the vast majority of the $$ is going. It's not a trend that is good for the country, IMO.
Old 04-18-2021, 07:23 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Out-to-Lunch View Post
And GET OFF MY LAWN!
And the older I get, the better I was.
Closed Thread