Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

UPDATE: TheFed's most recent rehab....finally done, with PICS. 40k into an 85k home
Old 11-27-2009, 09:49 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

UPDATE: TheFed's most recent rehab....finally done, with PICS. 40k into an 85k home

HOME 4 U BLOG

Here's a blog I made for the most recent rehab I posted about. We got this home for 17k, put 21k into it, tax assessor says it's worth about 85k. This is before we finished the attic into a 300sf master suite with 1/2 bath. It's now rented for $725/mo.

EVERYTHING has been redone....lots of drywall, flooring, all new plumbing (supply and drain), gas line to the street, furnace, h20, a/c unit, bathrooms, fixtures, lighting, vinyl windows, porch/step railings, etc etc.

The most dramatic change seems to be the back yard. Look closely at the before pics of the garage area, and the 'green' pics with a fence in it. We didnt really even know the back yard was ours until we purchased the place...it was SO overgrown you couldnt even see the fence or open the gate. LITERALLY a thicket with tree branches hanging to the ground...we used a machete to hack our way into the back yard and assess.
thefed is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-28-2009, 04:47 AM   #2

Looks good, thefed. I still think it's amazing that you can buy a house for $17K.

How many rental houses do you have now? And is this one that you bought with your cousin? Is that working well for you both?
KB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 05:48 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Dang! That looks great. The neighbors should be throwing you a big party.
The whole place is transformed. A question:
- How did you prep the aluminum awnings for new paint? Did you chemically strip the old ones, sandblast, or just hit it with the wire brush on an angle grinder?
Gotta go, but I'll be back with more questions.
Congrats!
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 05:59 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Amazing you can do all that for $21k.
Old 11-28-2009, 06:11 AM   #5

Samclem: Just a wire brush and sandpaper....primer on bare metal, and good exterior paint

KB: Yes, this is the 2nd one with my cousin. We are both happier than anticipated with the way things are going. We're going to do one more under this business name and then make some adjustments to the operating agreement to get me some $$ up front while I work...tough to put so many hours in for a pot of gold at the end of a potentially loooong rainbow!
Old 11-28-2009, 06:45 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Congratulations, great work and a nice return for your efforts!

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 06:48 AM   #7
Administrator

It takes some vision (and cojones) to step up and tackle that project. Risk = Reward. Great job.
Old 11-28-2009, 07:57 AM   #8

Were the hardwood floors in bad shape? I see you covered them all with carpet.
utrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 09:26 AM   #9
Gone but not forgotten

What a great transformation !
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 09:27 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Looks very rewarding. How long did it take, and how much of the work did you do yourself?
Old 11-28-2009, 11:42 AM   #11

The hardwood was in decent shape, BUT it was soaked in cat urine. As such, i had to coat it all with an encapsulant to trap in the odor.

this actually took 4 months, but in those 4 months I was there about 25 days, averaged 7 hrs/day for a total of about 175 hrs. i had a lot of other work to take care of in that time.

I subbed out all plumbing, all drywall finishing, bathtub refinish, fence repair, all flooring, clearing of the jungle and vines, most painting, and paid about 2500 in general labor. that sounds like a lot, but i tackled quite a bit myself. this is the most by FAR i've ever hired out....and it was soooo worth it...esp plumbing and drywall!
Old 11-28-2009, 04:02 PM   #12

Fed,

Nice to see someone grabbing at opportunity in this market.

I am looking at the same thing in my hood (house condition) but the prices are much higher (70-80k). Can't make it work .... (rents would be 1000-1200/mo) so I sit.

Keep do'in what you're do'in!!
Old 11-28-2009, 07:52 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Man, you're making my back ache!

Nice job! That's an amazing transformation. Good luck moving forward, it would be nice to get a little payback going. Congrats.
Old 11-29-2009, 05:58 AM   #14
Full time employment: Posting here.

You have done really well! Congratulations.