Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Updating Social Security Benefits
Old 01-04-2022, 01:11 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Updating Social Security Benefits

Back in 2018 DW filed for her reduced SS benefit (she was 63) and I filed for spousal benefits since I decided to wait until I was 70 to start receiving mine. This year, I will turn 70 in May so I will be applying for my full benefits and DW will change over to receiving spousal benefits (her PIA is much less than half of mine). Just a couple of easy (I hope) questions. 1) Can we make this changeover online using our mySocialSecurity account or will we have to go to our local SS office to do it? 2) Timing wise, how soon can/should we make application for these changes?
RASAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-04-2022, 04:12 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

We just did this during December for a February start. When speaking with SS, they encouraged doing it over the phone with one of their people. DW and I were on the phone and the SS person did a great job. I have not received my first check yet, which would be the best measure of QA for the process but the SS person was terrific and I am confident it went well.

Bottom line, knowing what I know now, I would suggest this approach.

To add a few details, the process was on the phone. SS called us. I think they reset the appointment, at the time of our expected appointment for about an hour later since they were so busy. When we started the appointment process, I thought we would do it in person since there is an SS office about a mile away from our home (Did not know that until we began this process). They called both times, right on the promised time.

Be comfortable with all of it being recorded for their records.

Prior to this meeting, I called SS to confirm my start date. I had read it could be confusing and some people lose a month of their benefit. During that call, the SS person suggested we call the SS staff person and have them complete the form. Given that conversation, I decided to take her advice.
savory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2022, 04:21 PM   #3

We are in a similar position. I turn 70 this year and have been collecting spousal benefits. I will change over to claiming on my own benefits later this year. I will await someone who knows to chime in the answer to your (and my) questions.

Edit: I did not see savory's answer while I was writing my response.
CRLLS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2022, 04:40 PM   #4

I have been collecting spousal benefits and decided over the weekend to switch to my own. Filed on 01/01/2022 on-line for a start date in January (1st check February) and received an email from SS today advising they are processing it.
And whatever your labors and aspirations in the noisy confusion of life, keep peace in your soul. With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be cheerful. Strive to be happy.- Desiderata by Max Ehrmann
MissMolly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2022, 04:43 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm not sure how this will work out for you. It gets really complicated with spousal benefits and one person claiming early, and then all of the switching. I spent a while figuring out my own situation with spousal benefits and one of us claiming early.

I've gotten 1-2 day responses from an expert. Ask Larry:

https://maximizemysocialsecurity.com/ask-larry
Old 01-04-2022, 05:11 PM   #6

I edited my post above and added some background info you might find helpful in making a decision on how to proceed.
Old 01-04-2022, 05:33 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

I would start as early as possible, in your case probably 4 months before intended starting month. We did the initial app with spousal benefit and Medicare on SSA website. It took much longer than normal due to semi-closed local office. Phone calls were not easy to get through the right person to process the case and they only have limited opening in person like turning in documentation. We finally got the case approved by directly speaking with the supervisor (by luck as he was the first one to answer the phone that day). It took about 3 months from submitting to approval, but could be worse if not for the luck.

One more thing we confirmed with the SSA operator that most of the SSA local officers stay at home and only go to office like once a week with minimum stuff in the local office for processing mail, receiving documentation and upkeep office...
xlf11 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2022, 05:46 PM   #8
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by xlf11
I would start as early as possible, in your case probably 4 months before intended starting month. We did the initial app with spousal benefit and Medicare on SSA website. It took much longer than normal due to semi-closed local office. Phone calls were not easy to get through the right person to process the case and they only have limited opening in person like turning in documentation. We finally got the case approved by directly speaking with the supervisor (by luck as he was the first one to answer the phone that day). It took about 3 months from submitting to approval, but could be worse if not for the luck.

I made a telephone appointment using the National number on the SSA website. It was scheduled about three weeks later and a guy from the local office called me right on schedule. It was approved the same day and got my first deposit a month later.
Dash man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2022, 05:47 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

I am collecting on my spouses social security ( it is called a restricted application ). so I am collecting half of his while mine grows.

it is no longer allowed. The code was changed and they will always give you the highest benefit you qualify for. Not sure what birth year that change happened.

When I want to switch over to my benefit, I will go back on line, file again, this time not choosing a restricted application.

When I did the first application social security did call to verify what I wanted to do ( claim the lower benefit and let mine ride ). and also how many months of back pay did I want . I did not know that when I turned 65 I could file on my spouses while letting mine grow. So, I lost a year or so of payments. The rep. told me to do it myself on line when I wanted to switch to my higher benefit. Undoubtably, when I do that they will call again and go over it and make sure it is all correct.
rothlev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2022, 05:52 PM   #10
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

A caveat on filing early, which I did, too, given COVID, closed offices, etc. I'm collecting Survivor SS on my late husband's record and turn 69 on February 1. On November 2 I filed on-line for my own benefits, which will be about $1,500/month higher- decided that waiting till 70 wasn't worth it.

I got the acknowledgement and every time I checked back it was processing...processing...processing...typically takes 2-4 weeks. Uh-huh. I called yesterday. Well, I filed "way early" and they can't actually issue their decision till the month before the first check with the new amount. I'll receive it in March since SS is paid in arrears- can't remember if they promised a letter by mid-January or mid-February but basically the boilerplate on the site was in accurate in my case. No, he couldn't tell me the new amount.

I'm trying to be patient.
athena53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2022, 06:05 PM   #11
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissMolly View Post
I have been collecting spousal benefits and decided over the weekend to switch to my own. Filed on 01/01/2022 on-line for a start date in January (1st check February) and received an email from SS today advising they are processing it.
THANKS!

I was under the impression that the switch from spousal to personal benefits could not be made on line. But it now appears that it can.

A little added information: I don't believe that this can be done after logging into my social security. Go into SSA.gov as if you are making your first contact and begin a claim for benefits. While completing the claim you will be asked to log into "my social security" and will be quickly returned back to the claim process.
Kwirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2022, 09:23 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwirk View Post
THANKS!

I was under the impression that the switch from spousal to personal benefits could not be made on line. But it now appears that it can.

A little added information: I don't believe that this can be done after logging into my social security. Go into SSA.gov as if you are making your first contact and begin a claim for benefits. While completing the claim you will be asked to log into "my social security" and will be quickly returned back to the claim process.
Yes, it took me awhile to figure out how to do it because I thought it would be on My Social Security, but as you say, it's SSA.gov.
And whatever your labors and aspirations in the noisy confusion of life, keep peace in your soul. With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be cheerful. Strive to be happy.- Desiderata by Max Ehrmann
MissMolly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2022, 11:36 AM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
THANKS!

Thanks for the secret detail that many who have done it leave out of their story.
oldtimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2022, 11:42 AM   #14

A little tip for those who may encounter difficulty with the SSA online.

You can schedule a phone appointment, and they will call you right when they say they will. I have always found that the person on the phone is most helpful, and they are able to deal with matters that can seem complicated to us. So don't think you need a local office or a snail mail adventure; just give their phone reps a try, as Dash man above did.
Old 01-05-2022, 01:56 PM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by rothlev View Post
I am collecting on my spouses social security ( it is called a restricted application ). so I am collecting half of his while mine grows.

it is no longer allowed. The code was changed and they will always give you the highest benefit you qualify for. Not sure what birth year that change happened.
The cutoff was the end of 1953 (my wife made it by just a month). She is collecting half of mine, and will change over in 2023. I appreciate the info folks are posting here -- I'll need to revisit it then.
Old 01-07-2022, 07:59 PM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

Step 1 complete. After trying the main SS number several times and being cut off or no answers, I tried our local office (which is closed to the public) and got an appointment for February 22nd. At first, I was told separate appointments would be required and was given two 1-hour back-to-back phone appointments. Later in the day, they called back and said both application would be handled at the same time.
RASAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2022, 10:55 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by RASAP View Post
Step 1 complete. After trying the main SS number several times and being cut off or no answers, I tried our local office (which is closed to the public) and got an appointment for February 22nd. At first, I was told separate appointments would be required and was given two 1-hour back-to-back phone appointments. Later in the day, they called back and said both application would be handled at the same time.
We were both on the call the same time and t worked for us. Good luck.
Old 01-08-2022, 05:48 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by savory View Post
We were both on the call the same time and t worked for us. Good luck.
I was impressed at the level of service we got. I had a phone appointment but to my surprise the rep needed to talk to DW to complete the action. Unfortunately, DW was out of town at the time.

I gave the rep DW's cell phone number and as soon as I got off the line I texted her that she should answer a call from an unknown number when it came. That happened a few minutes later and it all worked perfectly. Smooth transaction, great service from SSA.
Old 01-08-2022, 09:34 AM   #19
Full time employment: Posting here.

Unfortunately, not all local SSA offices are alike. We could not get through to ours on the phone or, if we did reach a person, we were quickly cut off. We sent a letter but it was returned as undeliverable and with no forwarding address. (The address was correct for an office where we had prior business but the office had moved.) We were able to reach a person on the national phone number and they said we would be contacted by out local office (never happened). We were able to speak with a rep at a nearby local office but he said we would have to contact our own office. An online complaint to the SSA IG did get us a response but it came the day after we submitted an online application using MissMolly's clue.

I'm glad to hear that others are having good experiences with their local offices.
Kwirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2022, 10:04 AM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Unfortunately, not all local SSA offices are alike. We could not get through to ours on the phone or, if we did reach a person, we were quickly cut off. We sent a letter but it was returned as undeliverable and with no forwarding address. (The address was correct for an office where we had prior business but the office had moved.) We were able to reach a person on the national phone number and they said we would be contacted by out local office (never happened). We were able to speak with a rep at a nearby local office but he said we would have to contact our own office. An online complaint to the SSA IG did get us a response but it came the day after we submitted an online application using MissMolly's clue.

I'm glad to hear that others are having good experiences with their local offices.

We experienced similar frustration during our recent dealing with local office after submitting online app. The local officer processing our cases left a phone message ask for a question about the app and we called back and left message for her, then nothing happened for two weeks. We called national SSA and was told our case is pending due to no answer for the same question and was advised to wait for the officer to process the case to come back again for the same question as all the local office is closed and officers are not in the office most of the time. Finally we plan to physically submit a letter to the local office and when calling to make an appointment, luckily we happened to talk to the supervisor of that officer and he said we don't need to go to the office and processed the case on the spot. I think now it's best to push whatever you can to get a response especially in the local level.
xlf11 is online now   Reply With Quote