Upgrading cell phones on Verizon !!##

I wonder how their sim cards work. Can one transfer a phone from one carrier to another?

I have always gotten great customer service from Virgin when I called. The guys at the small Best Buy phone stores are very good also.

I have always gotten great customer service from Virgin when I called. The guys at the small Best Buy phone stores are very good also.

The big negative that I have with Virgin is the network they use... Almost any time I travel, I do not get a signal... so, when we are on the road and need roadside assistance.... NADA... since this is one of the major reasons I got it, a big strike against them...

Just a note... I have been to lazy to transfer... my wife's phone usually works...

I have yet to find phone service that is affordable.
I have not found an affordable smart phone service yet.

However, if you can live with just voice and text, and don't actually use your phone many days, a Verizon Wireless pre-paid daily plan can be a good deal. I heard the Verizon plan was basically matching T-Mobile, so shop around.

During the spring of 2011 my wife and I switched our Verizon Family plan for a pair of Verizon daily pre-paid plans. We kept our numbers, and even kept one of our phones. The plan charges $1.99/day that you use your phone for any voice call, including answering wrong numbers and checking your voice mail with your cell phone. However, you get unlimited calling that day. They also charge 2 cents per out-going or in-coming text message. If you prepay $100, your unused balance does not expire for a year, and you can extend its life by spending another $100 a day before your balance expires.

My usage has changed. Now I usually text my wife, and make even fewer voice calls than I did before. Most of my voice calls are while traveling, and on those days I can spend a lot of time on the phone.

My wife ran through her $100 in less than a year, but I still had around a $50 balance when I purchased another $100 this spring. Realistically, we are paying less than $300/year for two voice/text phones. Upgrading to a pair of Verizon Smart Phones with only 1GB or shared data would cost us over $1500/year plus taxes. I think I'll keep waiting.

I use Pageplus, which uses the same Verizon network, for voice+minor texting. I use about 120 minutes/month, so it costs me about $4/month. Yes, $4/month. You can save a lot of money if you don't need data, or just use wifi data. Some of my family use one of the major carriers and are spending $160/month :facepalm:.

However, if you can live with just voice and text, and don't actually use your phone many days, a Verizon Wireless pre-paid daily plan can be a good deal. I heard the Verizon plan was basically matching T-Mobile, so shop around.

During the spring of 2011 my wife and I switched our Verizon Family plan for a pair of Verizon daily pre-paid plans. We kept our numbers, and even kept one of our phones. The plan charges $1.99/day that you use your phone for any voice call, including answering wrong numbers and checking your voice mail with your cell phone. However, you get unlimited calling that day. They also charge 2 cents per out-going or in-coming text message. If you prepay $100, your unused balance does not expire for a year, and you can extend its life by spending another $100 a day before your balance expires.

My usage has changed. Now I usually text my wife, and make even fewer voice calls than I did before. Most of my voice calls are while traveling, and on those days I can spend a lot of time on the phone.

My wife ran through her $100 in less than a year, but I still had around a $50 balance when I purchased another $100 this spring. Realistically, we are paying less than $300/year for two voice/text phones. Upgrading to a pair of Verizon Smart Phones with only 1GB or shared data would cost us over $1500/year plus taxes. I think I'll keep waiting.

The problem is I have a teenager on our plan who can text between 4000-7000 a month.

Right now I don't have any smart phones or data plans. Just unlimited text for my teen- I don't even have texting.

Virgin Mobile has an unlimited minutes/messages/data plan for $55 per month, $50 on autopay. You would have to purchase the iPhone for $650 but it's the 4s. They have a 4G phone, the HTC EVO ($300), with unlimited for $55/$50 per month. Not a bad deal.
+1

You can also get a unlimited data/text package from Virgin for $35/mo. It comes with around 300-350 minutes and if you go nuts with the data, they ratchet back the speed. It's 3G. I have had it for about a year and love it. I find with a few carefully chosen apps, I don't need to have crazy bandwidth. The phone cost me $100 with no contract. I am freed from Verizon and life is good! BTW, Virgin uses the Sprint network so it's not some rinky dink service.

Virgin Mobile has an unlimited minutes/messages/data plan for $55 per month, $50 on autopay. You would have to purchase the iPhone for $650 but it's the 4s. They have a 4G phone, the HTC EVO ($300), with unlimited for $55/$50 per month. Not a bad deal.
I can buy a phone retail and activate it under my current account. I am not sure if I can do that with 4G. The cost of retail is pretty high if I want a new (4G) phone.

The problem is I have a teenager on our plan who can text between 4000-7000 a month.

I believe Verizon will let you add unlimited texting to the pre-paid plans for $20/month. Might be better than what you have, though obviously more expensive than not using your phone much.

I am thinking about splurging on an E-Reader and iPad.

Does anyone have an iPad? What do you like about it? I would probably get the one capable of 4G Lite - just in case.

The other option is to wait later this year and see if Apple comes out with a new device slightly small and/or cheaper.

I am thinking about splurging on an E-Reader and iPad.

Does anyone have an iPad? What do you like about it? I would probably get the one capable of 4G Lite - just in case.

The other option is to wait later this year and see if Apple comes out with a new device slightly small and/or cheaper.

If you do a search for iPad just in titles you will find a number that might be helpful. Here are a few

http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f27/ipad-48416.html

http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f27/so-who-folded-and-bought-an-ipad-56455.html

http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f27/favorite-ipad-apps-60100.html

Thanks.

I just called about how much it would cost to add this to my plan. The 2gb service would cost me $30. There is also an activation fee every time I would activate - if I deactivated thru out the year. OR I could do the prepaid month to month thru the iPad and bypass any activation fees.

That way I could prepaid for months I know I will be on vacation and all other times stick to wi-fi.

Buckeye,
The prices you have listed are for the Virgin smart phones. The basic $20 flip phone can use the "pay as you go" method, or you can pay $20/month for 300 minutes. A very good deal if you can live without a smart phone.

My flip phone just died, and I bought a LG android based phone from Virgin with the $35/month plan. Unlimited 3G Sprint internet and texting, 300 minutes of phone calls. My wife has this, and she likes it very much.

We have plans to purge our hardline phone at home soon, and just use the cell phones. I've been reluctant to do that.

JP

We have plans to purge our hardline phone at home soon, and just use the cell phones. I've been reluctant to do that.

I got rid of my home phone and decided it was a mistake. My mobile phone was often far away from me at home and I did not hear the calls. Reception was iffy at times. Also, I wondered what would happen if I had a serious accident upstairs, needed to call 911, but my mobile phone was downstairs. Still I did not want to add about $30 a month to my phone costs for a POTS line. So...

I bought an Ooma machine and now have four extensions in my home for about $5 a month and the price of the Ooma. I paid $160 for my Ooma (after the $40 rebate this month) but have since seen them on e-bay for $99.

psst Ting Mobile.

I was paying $185 with Ver* for 2 smart phones and 2 basic phones. With Ting (3 Android & 1 basic), my June bill was $93, July $85, and August is looking like it will be around $80. And yes, I have a teenager. Don't be fooled into thinking you need "unlimited" text, or data, etc; Ting automatically adjusts your plan each month to your actual usage. Using some common sense like connecting to Wifi at home or work vs. using data will keep the data usage low. You can also install an App that uses data/wifi to send text messages. Their phones are expensive, but I would rather pay upfront than the slow monthly bleed.

No I don't work for Ting!

Last edited:
We also ported our home number to our cell. To deal with the cell being in the wrong room, we purchased a Panasonic phone which all connects to blue-tooth. We bought the unit at Costco and it comes with 4 handsets. We can answer the cell from any handset. Reception has generally been pretty decent and the handsets all have a speaker setting for the unit. Costco - Panasonic DECT 6.0 Four-handset Cordless Phone System 4294967278&Mo=1&No=1&Nr=P_CatalogName:BC&Ns=P_Price|1||P_SignDesc1&lang=en-US&Sp=C&topnav=
First tried to use a VTech phone with bluetooth but handset reception was dismal. Pansonic was $40 more but a world of difference.
Nwsteve

psst Ting Mobile.

I was paying $185 with Ver* for 2 smart phones and 2 basic phones. With Ting (3 Android & 1 basic), my June bill was $93, July $85, and August is looking like it will be around $80. And yes, I have a teenager. Don't be fooled into thinking you need "unlimited" text, or data, etc; Ting automatically adjusts your plan each month to your actual usage. Using some common sense like connecting to Wifi at home or work vs. using data will keep the data usage low. You can also install an App that uses data/wifi to send text messages. Their phones are expensive, but I would rather pay upfront than the slow monthly bleed.

No I don't work for Ting!

They have possibilities but no iPhone and the texting is expensive. My dd is at 12,000 texts in 19 days. Currently I wouldn't save much and I would have to spring for new phones.

I do think I'll be getting an iPad soon or the new apple device. I/we deserve a new toy - it's been a while.

That's a lot!

I know. She was on a 5000k limit but I was able to switch it to unlimited at no additional cost.

I expect the texting to drop considerably when school starts.

Neither of us really need a smart phone - the wife has one from her employer. Right now I am sticking with Verizon.

3 basic phones, 550 shared natl mins/month, unlimited texting on dd phone - $90 before taxes.

Chuckanut,
Were you allowed to keep your existing phone number with the Ooma? I've had the same land line phone number for 30 years, and I prefer to keep that number.
JP

Chuckanut,
Were you allowed to keep your existing phone number with the Ooma? I've had the same land line phone number for 30 years, and I prefer to keep that number.
JP

I can answer; yes, you can "port" over your existing # to Ooma. The number I'm using with Ooma is the same I have had for 10+ years.

Chuckanut,
JP

I did not port an old number since I had canceled my home phone years ago. But, I am sure you can get the old number ported to your Ooma. . There might be a small extra charge to do this and it does take a bit more time to get things going.

I also ported my old number(actually a business line) to Ooma with no problem--took about a week. Actually one of the benefits of going with Premier is (at least when we ported) they will port one number at no additional charge. Otherwise there is a porting charge.
Nwstece

I know that IPhones and new IPads come compatible with either AT&T or Verizon. What about Virgin? Which protocol do they use?

DW and I were long term Verizon users (she's a Verizon retiree and even got a discount). We just had voice and it was costing about $90/month including all the taxes. However a year ago when her contract expired she went to StraightTalk $45/month for unlimited everything. I will do the same this November when my contract expires. She's been happy with it and with a app she can make her phone a wifi hotspot. We get good reception even at our house in the boonies in MA.

Back
Top Bottom