Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-03-2008, 11:57 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post
That's great!

The reason I asked is that VGSMX (Vanguard Total Stock Market Index) didn't do nearly as well, according to the plot at the bottom of https://personal.vanguard.com/us/fun...BarChart=false .

VWUSX (Vanguard U.S. Growth Fund) did much worse during that time period:

https://personal.vanguard.com/us/fun...FundIntExt=INT

Assuming they are being totally forthright with you, I am thinking that they sure picked a good fund!
They weren't VG funds, and they had a healthy dose of international in there........which helped a great deal.............

I told them if they stay on their path, I see early retirement in their future. They need some extra LI outside of what they can get through their company, so we're working on that. Other than tweaking their AA a little bit, I left the investment parts alone.....which I am sure will befuddle a fair number of you on here.........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-03-2008, 12:06 PM   #22
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
They need some extra LI outside of what they can get through their company, so we're working on that.
I hope you told them to "Buy term and invest the rest"!
FUEGO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 12:09 PM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
They weren't VG funds, and they had a healthy dose of international in there........which helped a great deal.............

I told them if they stay on their path, I see early retirement in their future. They need some extra LI outside of what they can get through their company, so we're working on that. Other than tweaking their AA a little bit, I left the investment parts alone.....which I am sure will befuddle a fair number of you on here.........
Good move in leaving their investment parts alone. They are doing really well all on their own!

P.S. - - let us know if they start sending out a newsletter!

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 12:12 PM   #24

DW has a nephew like them. They're smart, about 33-35, both work in stable jobs, no kids early (one on the way now) and and they bought a 2nd home on a lake last year. The nephew's parents, who didn't plan quite so well, will be the caretakers of the house. They figure the 2nd house is a good investment since they have no plans to flip it and it's their vacation spot.

They'd make a lousy news story.
Old 04-03-2008, 12:33 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

I wonder if some of these habits are in good part anyway genetic.
Old 04-03-2008, 12:52 PM   #26
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivrider View Post
For various reasons the 'hard luck' stories are going to get all the attention for a while. Folks like these will come under the heading 'good news is no news'.

IMO 'hard luck' stories get the attention because it makes some people feel better when they see someone who has it worse than them.
Old 04-03-2008, 12:52 PM   #27

On topic, I just finished reading a report stating that the average American saves .3% of their income. So, on average, Americans are saving 30 cents of every $100 they earn. Not very hopeful. And the government wants to send us each $300 and tell us to go spend it somewhere. It seems that spending isn't the problem.
Art G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 12:55 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

You forgot to mention that they have a total annual income of $898,000.

No you know the rest of the story.
Old 04-03-2008, 02:15 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

FD,

They are obviously doing very well.

One of your suggestions might have been to increase their Roth funding. The annual limit this year for an "young" individual is $5,000; they are only putting in $3K per year.

Of course that depends on their other goals...

2Cor521
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 02:31 PM   #30

Good suggestion, 2Cor521.
Old 04-03-2008, 02:35 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecondCor521 View Post
FD,

They are obviously doing very well.

One of your suggestions might have been to increase their Roth funding. The annual limit this year for an "young" individual is $5,000; they are only putting in $3K per year.

Of course that depends on their other goals...

2Cor521
I mentioned that, of course...turns out that's all they can afford to do..........

Old 04-03-2008, 02:36 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art G View Post
On topic, I just finished reading a report stating that the average American saves .3% of their income. So, on average, Americans are saving 30 cents of every $100 they earn. Not very hopeful. And the government wants to send us each $300 and tell us to go spend it somewhere. It seems that spending isn't the problem.
The 'average' American has learned their saving/spending habits from their relative - Uncle Sam.
Old 04-03-2008, 05:48 PM   #33
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keim View Post
Exactly. When I was studying communication in college we called this "Perceived Mediated Reality Syndrome." If you watch it on TV enough, even in fictional shows, you start to think what you are seeing is the norm.

That's one of the reasons I am on this board so much. Reading about others' financial progress here, it feels only right to save a significant amount. I like this good influence! Also, those "what's the latest cheap thing you've done?" threads make me 1) more frugal, and 2) feeling that I am just normal when it comes to LBYM.
GoodSense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 05:54 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
You forgot to mention that they have a total annual income of $898,000.

No you know the rest of the story.
Come on AL 898,000 is hard to get by on . Cut them guys a bit of slack.
Notmuchlonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 06:20 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notmuchlonger View Post
Come on AL 898,000 is hard to get by on . Cut them guys a bit of slack.
For $898,000 I might have stuck around for another year.
Old 04-06-2008, 12:02 PM   #36

Quote:
Well, what if I told you they gave up cable, and are using the monthly savings to build up a
baby fund" so they don't have to use credit to buy all the expensive stuff you need for new babies?

Like I said, they ARE planners..........

Hey FD - does either one have a sister that's single?
Old 10-30-2012, 11:23 AM   #37

I got out my shovel and dug up an old thread...

Hey FinanceDude: It would be interesting to see how this couple has weathered the recession. And how having a kid impacted their finances.
Old 10-30-2012, 11:51 AM   #38
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:

Hey FinanceDude: It would be interesting to see how this couple has weathered the recession. And how having a kid impacted their finances.
Also curious for an update. We could have been that couple in early 2008, our NW was about 179K at the time. Fast forward 4.5 years, and we've got 2 kids and only one job (DH stays home with kids), and NW is now 356K. Not too shabby, but returns have not been 9+%, unfortunately.
catccc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 11:56 AM   #39
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
DW has a nephew like them. They're smart, about 33-35, both work in stable jobs, no kids early (one on the way now) and and they bought a 2nd home on a lake last year. The nephew's parents, who didn't plan quite so well, will be the caretakers of the house. They figure the 2nd house is a good investment since they have no plans to flip it and it's their vacation spot.

They'd make a lousy news story.
I'd read it
EvrClrx311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 12:50 PM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

They have 1-year old twin girls. They are maxing out Roth contributions, also he is maxing out his 401K at work. They have a joint account with $70,000 in it, also an emergency account with $30K in the bank. They had to replace 3 old cars with 2 larger newer ones in the past year, but managed to do it without tapping savings. So far, so good. They are taking the dividends from their joint account and using it to make their car payments for now. They have survived and quite honestly thrived. So, doing quite welll...........