US debt clock

Awesome avatar.

Yeah. I seen it. Not scary. Probably wont be scary till something super drastic happens. Like soldiers entering my home. A loaf of bread costing 10 dollars. The dollar is worth more to burn than wood... Yeah not so scary yet.

Looks absolutely bleak. That's why they say those who are oblivious lead happier lives...

And the numbers are so big! Could have rounded them off to trillions, billions or even millions.

For shear terror, I think the debtclock beats any Steven King/Friday the 13th movie.

Yes and it stresses me out. I'm not going to open that link....

Tough choice ahead.

07calmes-grfk-popup.gif

If our politicians and electorate were mature enough to deal with this like responsible adults it's still a pretty manageable problem. But I fear we've long passed the era of dealing with things as adults. :(

So to those who wonder whether the answer to the deficit is lower spending or higher taxes, the answer is YES to both.

In 2010 spending as a % of GDP is 25.4%, its highest level since 1945. Meanwhile tax receipts are expected to be 14.8% of GDP, their lowest level since 1950.

Its pretty clear that the way we got here is by both spending too much and taxing too little. Both sides have to come down from the barricades and meet in the middle if this is ever going to get solved. I'm not optimistic.

I believe in equilibrium. We are not there yet.

Back
Top Bottom