US stock sector weighting

jetpack

Recycles dryer sheets
I've been looking at my sector weighting in U.S. stocks with personalcapital.
ImageUploadedByEarly Retirement Forum1419362568.794971.jpg

They recommend that you balance between all us sectors, compared with my weights which are closer to S&P 500 weighting.

I have a mix of mutual funds and individual stocks.

Do you guys look at sector weighting? What's your strategy?

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

I have been buying IVV and IVW. I have a few older positions of QQQ and IWM. I may switch to all IVV as I go.

I think the S&P is the 'market', so I try to stay with that. Let the S&P figure out who stays and goes.

At Fidelity, IVV and IVW are $0 trade cost.

I don't bother with sectors. If I did, I'd just stick with Total Stock Market and forget it.

Same here. I don't mess with sectors. I let my mutual fund managers place those bets.

I invest according to asset class: US large, US mid-cap, US small, international, international small, REIT funds, and various type of bond funds and cash.

Same here. I don't mess with sectors. I let my mutual fund managers place those bets.

I invest according to asset class: US large, US mid-cap, US small, international, international small, REIT funds, and various type of bond funds and cash.

+1

Presumably you are not invested in sector funds, but are in broadly-based funds, and the tool shows your sector exposure. In this scenario whether you are equally weighted in sectors or approximate the S&P 500 is probably a toss-up.

Since small and large US stocks are not well correlated, I prefer to have a large cap and a small cap fund. Or just go with one US fund and diversify in international.

I've been looking at my sector weighting in U.S. stocks with personalcapital.
View attachment 20738

They recommend that you balance between all us sectors, compared with my weights which are closer to S&P 500 weighting.

I have a mix of mutual funds and individual stocks.

Do you guys look at sector weighting? What's your strategy?

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

My strategy is to use S&P as a reference point for my US holdings, severely under weighting Energy cuz I own a private oil and gas partnership.

Why does personalcapital recommend not weighting like S&P?

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Back
Top Bottom