Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-27-2013, 12:38 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Almost everyone interviewed is a blogger. I am starting to think these "early retirement articles" are really just a way of getting ad revenue from blogging, in the hopes of gaining followers, actual "retirement" seems quite a bit lower and cross polination of the same groups.

When Mr Money Mustache is running a " you can meet me in an Ecuador resort", these posts of you can retire early all seems more like a gimmick to make money by myself 'cause I can't really stand other people rather than a true early retirement plan. Not much different to me than the you too can make millions in real estate just take my course, and I'll be in your city soon and see how I have retired to the good life.

Nords left posting here to sell USAA and VISA products on his blog in the hopes his blogging will earn a minimum $125 an hour. Rather than being true advice it is a marketing campaign in the hopes of fame and fortune, a nice American goal, but not retirement and lots of clicks on the VISA credit card website.

The make a valid comment on other blogs in order to promote your website is a nice way to make bologna out of SPAM.

https://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f44/why-i-believe-we-are-about-to-embark-on-a-historic-bull-market-run-101268.html
Running_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-27-2013, 01:21 PM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
NFW, more grown ups here. Are you sure momma will take you back? Better check on that before you finalize your plan.
YES. Momma just asked me last night when I was going to move back.

Everytime I go back home, my parents ask me when I will move back home. In my culture, I am expected to move back home to take care of my elderly parents. I feel guilty that I'm not home taking care of my elderly parents.
comicbookgujy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 01:24 PM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkeyeNFO View Post
A lot of haters in the comments from the article.
The comments always bring out all the haters, extremists and lunatics.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 01:28 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
The comments always bring out all the haters, extremists and lunatics.
Huh, I thought that was just on Yahoo.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 01:55 PM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

That type of articles can be published only during bull markets....

Quote:
$180,000 in savings invested in stocks, by withdrawing no more than 3% a year
All the guys in the article are either 100% in stocks or 85% (stocks) /15% (fixed income).
hsv_climber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 04:53 PM   #26

Exactly. What can this guy do on 15k a year ? Watch TV all day and walk to the free library? Sorry, but I need my retirement to be more exciting. I hope this post does not sound too presumptuous for those ER folk who live on a small budget.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
Spends $15k a year. Living large.

Not for me.
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 04:58 PM   #27
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by comicbookgujy View Post
My retirement plan:

1.) Move back home and live with momma
2.) Try to get 5% return on my investment, that would net me $25k a year

Anyone else retirement plan includes moving back in with momma?
Wish my momma was still alive. I'd move back in or she'd be staying with me.
UserRequested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 05:23 PM   #28
Full time employment: Posting here.

I have to admit that I wouldn't and or couldn't live on $15k a year and live the lifestyle I/we would want, but the principle is the same.

Invest in dividend growth companies until the dividends through off enough income to pay for the yearly expenses, similar to YMOYL but with stocks instead of bonds, like ejman wrote.

Now I just have to be debt free and have a portfolio throwing off more like $80k/year
Old 03-27-2013, 05:25 PM   #29
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Running_Man View Post
Almost everyone interviewed is a blogger. I am starting to think these "early retirement articles" are really just a way of getting ad revenue from blogging, in the hopes of gaining followers, actual "retirement" seems quite a bit lower and cross polination of the same groups.

When Mr Money Mustache is running a " you can meet me in an Ecuador resort", these posts of you can retire early all seems more like a gimmick to make money by myself 'cause I can't really stand other people rather than a true early retirement plan. Not much different to me than the you too can make millions in real estate just take my course, and I'll be in your city soon and see how I have retired to the good life.

Nords left posting here to sell USAA and VISA products on his blog in the hopes his blogging will earn a minimum $125 an hour. Rather than being true advice it is a marketing campaign in the hopes of fame and fortune, a nice American goal, but not retirement and lots of clicks on the VISA credit card website.

The make a valid comment on other blogs in order to promote your website is a nice way to make bologna out of SPAM.
It seems disingenuous to me to claim that those bloggers do it for the money when the two examples given are donating all profits to charity (Nords with military charities and all profits from MMM's meetup going to an Ecuador charity as well as him refusing to take even a basic speaking fee so even more can go to that charity).

Your cynical outlook must give you a very depressing life. I'm sorry.

I find an article like this in the mainstream news as nothing but positive. Even if every person in there was paid for their interview, I wouldn't care. If it puts the idea of ER in a few reader's heads and encourages them to look at their spending and become LBYM, it's a success in my mind.

YMMV. Obviously.
arebelspy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 06:57 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by arebelspy View Post
It seems disingenuous to me to claim that those bloggers do it for the money when the two examples given are donating all profits to charity (Nords with military charities and all profits from MMM's meetup going to an Ecuador charity as well as him refusing to take even a basic speaking fee so even more can go to that charity).

Your cynical outlook must give you a very depressing life. I'm sorry.

I find an article like this in the mainstream news as nothing but positive. Even if every person in there was paid for their interview, I wouldn't care. If it puts the idea of ER in a few reader's heads and encourages them to look at their spending and become LBYM, it's a success in my mind.

YMMV. Obviously.
I want to retire early so I don't end up bitter like running man.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 06:57 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

This makes my plan to retire at 35 with 1.4 million seem like overkill...

Now I just need to start a blog.
Old 03-27-2013, 08:30 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUEGO View Post
This makes my plan to retire at 35 with 1.4 million seem like overkill...

Now I just need to start a blog.
The problem with making a reality based blog is that the numbers of what it really takes are tough to achieve for most households. Any reality based ER blog would sound depressing compared to many of the popular ones out there now with their overly optimistic market return, safe withdrawal rates and potential medical cost projections.

But if you made a blog I'd read it.
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 02:13 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by daylatedollarshort View Post
The problem with making a reality based blog is that the numbers of what it really takes are tough to achieve for most households. Any reality based ER blog would sound depressing compared to many of the popular ones out there now with their overly optimistic market return, safe withdrawal rates and potential medical cost projections.

But if you made a blog I'd read it.
I have thought about starting a blog, since I like to write, have an overinflated sense of my own importance, and an uncanny ability to poke fun at myself.

Then there is the fact that maintaining a blog would be a little too much like work.
Old 03-28-2013, 02:24 PM   #34

I think you'll find that it's more about FI than about ER, which the article states. In other words, if you know that you can live on $15k/yr and get that from investments, it provides opportunities that you wouldn't normally have or even see.

Edit: The "compounding" argument is bunk for an ERE. Having 15 years to compound is the same regardless of whether it's 20 to 35 or 50 to 65. It's the savings rate that matters (and the subsequent spending rate that results from a high savings rate).
eridanus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 02:36 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
I want to retire early so I don't end up bitter like running man.
Me too. My DW already says work is making me crabby(er), and that I should ER sooner.
timo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 02:52 PM   #36

This article seemed to be the opposite of the USA Today one

Maybe We Should Retire The Word 'Retire' : NPR
timo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 08:39 PM   #37
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Running_Man View Post

Running Man,

There's no polite way of saying this, but I'll at least keep it clean. [Mod edit] Period. (And you are WAY off base on the Ecuador thing.)

I've gone through the entire MrMoneyMustache blog, from the first post through to the present. And what's there to learn from and apply to one's own life is, to put it mildly, priceless.

As for anyone else reading this post, don't rely on Running Man's dizzing... or my endorsement either. Spend some time in the MrMoneyMustache blog and then see what you think. And I mean spend some time and pay attention to what you are reading.

And that's all I'm going to say about this.

Alex in Virginia
Old 03-28-2013, 09:40 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Running Man has been on this site for many years, and he knows a lot about a lot of things. His posts are information rich, and come from his experience in markets, which not everyone has. You are way off base.

Trust the other members to make up their own minds about these more commercial blogs.

For the record, it is my opinion that they are mostly on about the same level as travel flak writing, and many wil disappear with the first lasting bear that comes along. It is wonderful however, that you seem to get so much from MMM.

Ha
Old 03-28-2013, 11:49 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by obgyn65 View Post
Exactly. What can this guy do on 15k a year ? Watch TV all day and walk to the free library?
I don't think it will necessarily be that bad/spartan. Most of my fun activities require some initial outlay but are free / near free otherwise. Just think about all the things that have minimal ongoing costs like camping, hiking, reading, surfing, fishing, programming, writing, volunteering, photography, gardening, cooking, origami, running, bird watching, posting on ER.org, etc.

Besides dining out, most of the expensive entertainment options that I would consider are passive activities like going to shows, sports events, museums, cable tv, etc (that are not high on my list).

I do agree though that even budget travel would be hard to do on 15k a year but I guess it's possible if you have a lot of friends / stay at campsites / like to couch surf.
photoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 07:35 AM   #40

I don't spend much more than 15K so it certainly doable. But I don't have a travel bug like many seem to have.
rbmrtn is offline   Reply With Quote