Join Early Retirement Today

USAA Insurance
Old 02-07-2007, 04:01 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

USAA Insurance

Some of you posting here have insurance through USAA. If so, you know that as a reciprocal insurer they establish a Subscriber Savings Account (SSA) for each policyholder and allocate a portion of their capital reserves into each account, based on a formula which includes the amount you paid in premiums. You also know they usually, but not always, pay each insured a SSA distribution each year based on their loss history and capital requirements. I think the distribution has been running around 3-6% per year and was 4% last year.

I learned today that once you’ve been with them 40 years they pay a “Senior Bonus” equal to 10% of your SSA each year. I’ve been insured with them for 37 years (yes, I’m well seasoned), and this could amount to roughly $1,000 per year in ‘found’ money for us starting in 2010. By the way, these distributions are not taxable since they are technically classified as refund of premiums.

It might also be something for those of you currently insured by USAA who are shopping around for lower insurance rates to consider.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: USAA Insurance
Old 02-07-2007, 04:13 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

REW,
-- Thanks for the tip! It'll be awhile before I reach 40 years with them, but this is good info to know. They've always provided good service. Frankly, haven't shopped insurance proces for a long time, so I don't know if they are cheapest. The SSA check is always a nice surprise.
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 04:14 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

Didn't know about the bonus, though I've been enjoying the check that I get every year. I've been with them 35 years, so I still have a few more to go...guess I'm not quite as well seasoned!
Old 02-07-2007, 04:22 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Recently when buying insurance I was going to cancel my old USAA homeowners policy and just let my stuff sit in storage uninsured for a month. Instead of letting me the person I was talking with advised that if I did they would not reissue the insurance, due to Katrina. I'm glad they weren't the money grubbing evil company that many accuse their insurance companies of being.
Old 02-07-2007, 07:08 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

USAA is the veteran's benefit only veterans know about. It is hugely valuable in many different ways. I am a total shill for them (no, never worked for them) and it's been 37 yrs now.

Didn't know about the bonus. Excellent news.

The one thing of significant value I get from them is . . . I never have to spend time and energy researching alternatives. I completely trust them and I'm not going anywhere. That's 37 years of management changes and I have not changed my attitude.

I can also echo the gentleman's experience above. I got a mortgage once through PHH -- and that was with USAA as a middleman -- partnered with PHH. I had some problems with them for reasons I have forgotten, but they were sufficient for me to call USAA to complain.

That was like setting off a bomb in PHH headquarters because I got phone calls from three levels of their management trying to ensure my problem was taken care of to my satisfaction. The last guy I talked to was a VP and he told me USAA won't partner with anyone that won't agree to have their telephone people take a special training course on dealing with USAA customers. That includes outsourcing to Bangalore. USAA won't deal with anyone who won't give their members special treatment.

modlair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 08:00 PM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

You guys have never had this experience?!?

Telemarketer: I'm calling tonight to help you save money on your auto insurance.

Me: Great News!! (I'm always annoyingly sarcastic with these folks...and probably others, though I'm unaware)

Telemarketer: Who is your current carrier?

Me: USAA

Telemarketer: Thank you...have a nice night. Click.

Me: Ahh...Hello??

There may be cheaper companies out there, I haven't done enough research to know for sure, but they've never called my house. I've never had a less than good experience with them, so I haven't had to look elsewhere. I get access through my FIL. I consider it an amazing fringe benefit!

devo

Edit: Teacher correcting his own spelling :
Old 02-07-2007, 09:08 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo
There may be cheaper companies out there....
I sincerely doubt it. As a penny pincher I regularly shop my insurance coverage around. I've called all the usual suspects probably at least half a dozen times over in different situations for auto, homeowner's, and umbrella. Never found anyone cheaper, and rarely find anyone even close. And that's before the USAA rebates!

I also have my first mortgage, HELOC, and checking with them as well.

2Cor521
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 09:15 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo!
I learned today that once you’ve been with them 40 years they pay a “Senior Bonus” equal to 10% of your SSA each year. I’ve been insured with them for 37 years (yes, I’m well seasoned), and this could amount to roughly $1,000 per year in ‘found’ money for us starting in 2010. By the way, these distributions are not taxable since they are technically classified as refund of premiums.
I interpreted that paragraph as a one-time good deal when you hit 40 years.

Quote:
"The Senior Bonus, which is paid to members with 40 years or more of membership, is a distribution of 10% of a member's SSA balance."
Hunh. Reading that again makes me think that they'd start paying us at a 10% SWR until the SSA's all gone. Don't these guys use FIRECalc?!?

Here's another paragraph for us over-analytical estate planners:
Quote:
"If a member terminates all P&C policies, the balance of the SSA is paid out approximately six months later."
To me that means our estate's executor would finish the paperwork in five months, file the final tax returns, pat themselves on the back for a job well done, and get USAA's SSA check in the mail the next day...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 09:43 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
Reading that again makes me think that they'd start paying us at a 10% SWR until the SSA's all gone.
That's the way I interpreted the message. I'll let you know in 4 years if I get a second 10% payout.

And when it's gone, it's gone...

Old 02-08-2007, 04:17 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek

Quote:
I learned today that once you’ve been with them 40 years they pay a “Senior Bonus” equal to 10% of your SSA each year
I learned about it in November when USAA sent me a "40 year" bumper sticker. When I was speaking to the USAA Rep he referred to the senior bonus (I had never heard of it either) and I was told that I could claim it after the first of the year and that they would advise me of the time that it is available.

Still waiting after over 40 years...I seem to recall that I became a member in 1966...yep 40 years!

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 04:25 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeyd
I was speakin to them they referred to the senior bonus (I had never heard of it either) and I was told that I could get it after the first of the year and that they would advise me of the time that it is available.
Is it your understanding that it is a one-time bonus, or will you get a 10% payout each year now that you've hit your 40th?

Old 02-08-2007, 04:48 PM   #12
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

USAA for insurance costs is one of the best - for their other services, I have had a different experience - and have moved from them due to some customer service issues. They have changed in the last few years and started focusing a lot on their financial markets business - they are also much larger now and therefore at times the customer service has suffered in some areas.

Hopefully I will still be with them in 40 years - we'll see.
Old 02-08-2007, 05:04 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by deserat
USAA for insurance costs is one of the best - for their other services, I have had a different experience - and have moved from them due to some customer service issues. They have changed in the last few years and started focusing a lot on their financial markets business - they are also much larger now and therefore at times the customer service has suffered in some areas.
Unfortunately I've had a mixed bag of experiences as well, some excellent, some not so good. They've definitely taken a few steps back in customer service in their homeowner and auto areas. Banking and investment services are still top notch.

Unfortunately I'm currently tied up with them on an auto claim. I got so frustrated when they still didn't have a copy of the police report 2 1/2 weeks after I reported the accident, I went to personally pick one up to give them. Not a positive experience to this point.

Old 02-08-2007, 05:44 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek

Quote:
Is it your understanding that it is a one-time bonus, or will you get a 10% payout each year now that you've hit your 40th?
Ok, I just dug out my paper file.

The above guote from my USAA file:
Quote:
"This program allows members who have been with the assoiciation for over 40 years or more to receive 10 percent of their SSA balance each year"
You may chose from one of the following :

1. Receive a check.

2. Apply the credit to your auto and property insurance bill (the one that I selected)

3. Leave your SSA balance intact.

Now that I have looked at this "Important Notice" in my file, I notice that the date for this years distribution is January 31, 2007 so I guess that my P&C insurance account has already been credited with about $175.

Sweet deal, no?

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 05:51 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeyd
Sweet deal, no?
Yup.! Thanks for the info.

Old 02-08-2007, 07:46 PM   #16
Administrator

USAA has served me well for 27 years. No complaints here.
Old 02-08-2007, 07:51 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby
USAA has served me well for 27 years.
Me too, Gumby. But I've been with them for 37 and the problems started about 10 years ago. Better watch out.

Old 02-08-2007, 09:31 PM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo!
Me too, Gumby. But I've been with them for 37 and the problems started about 10 years ago. Better watch out.
USAA has noticed that after 50 years of membership those problems start to die out.

So to speak...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote