Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-28-2013, 09:57 AM   #101
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by gardenfun View Post
I think you will love your Fit. I've had my 2009 Fit for 4 years (duh) and it's great. I haul all kinds of stuff in it when the back seat is folded down. You could sleep in that car if the stock market takes a dive and you need to cut back on living expenses.

Seriously, I have been loyal to Honda/Acura for 30 years. Would have liked to have purchased 3-4 year old Hondas, but they've always been just as expensive as buying new.
BEGINNING with 2009 (so GOOD FOR YOU!), the Honda Fit is a GREAT car.

Prior to 2009, the Fit had a side crash rating of just 3 stars and a Rear crash protection/head restraint rating of POOR. I know this because I was looking at the Fit for my daughter. With only being aboe to go back to 2009, I couldn't find one in my price range without a ton of miles on it.

Very cool little car.
LeavingOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-28-2013, 10:11 AM   #102
Full time employment: Posting here.

Can I share my experiences? I have owned many japanese and several american cars. I bought used Toyotas, Hondas, and Acura, and they have been pretty solid. The cars I bought new were American- a Plymouth Voyager, which lasted 70k miles before major engine problems (valve guides dropped into cylinders). The new Ford Econoline's brakes lasted a grand total of 8000 miles, before they needed to be replaced. "Not covered under warranty". "Geee, you must be riding the brakes". That's why I'll never buy Ford again...
tfudtuckerpucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 01:19 PM   #103
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Speaking of Hondas...it would appear that ours needs a replacement O2 sensor......those sucker's ain't cheap......

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 01:30 PM   #104
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
I think you will love your Fit. I've had my 2009 Fit for 4 years (duh) and it's great. I haul all kinds of stuff in it when the back seat is folded down. You could sleep in that car if the stock market takes a dive and you need to cut back on living expenses.

Seriously, I have been loyal to Honda/Acura for 30 years. Would have liked to have purchased 3-4 year old Hondas, but they've always been just as expensive as buying new.
Thanks for sharing! I'm looking forward to getting it.
jon-nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 04:42 PM   #105
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post

I found reliable used cars the day I quit buying domestic cars.........
Maybe you just needed a service manual an some mechanical skills....

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 04:44 PM   #106
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
Maybe you just needed a service manual an some mechanical skills....
Yeah, but that takes time and energy, so I just buy Hondas instead...........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 05:11 PM   #107
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:

I agree completely with the above. I have been driving my 2009 Fit since December, 2008, and have had zero issues with it. Mine is a standard (only kind of car I will drive). The gas mileage is amazing, and it has very high safety ratings.

The cars I've owned in my life: Toyota Corolla; Honda Accord; Honda Civic DX hatchback, and the Fit. Toyota and Honda are the only makes I will ever buy. I drove the little Civic hatchback for 17 happy years.

Enjoy the Fit!
Old 03-29-2013, 03:25 PM   #108
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post

Yeah, but that takes time and energy, so I just buy Hondas instead...........
Don't lie...you just use the extra time to read the forum!

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 04:10 PM   #109
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
Don't lie...you just use the extra time to read the forum!
YMMV.........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 05:14 PM   #110
Confused about dryer sheets

I have always had very good luck with used vehicles...but I go about it this way. Find the car you want from a rent-a-car place that still has miles to go on the warranty. I have always bought Lincolns---Town Cars mostly, and all of them have taken me to 400,000 miles almost with no motor or tranny work. Excellent cars.
Duanewebb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 06:19 PM   #111

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulligan

I bought a used 2002 trailblazer back in 2003 with 30k on it. It now has over 185k and the only thing I have ever changed is the S belt, battery, tires, wheel bearings, and brakes. Just maintenance stuff. I have never even changed the transmission fluid. I would like to get another Trailblazer when this one expires but they quit making them back with 2009 model so they may be long in tooth before I can replace it. It sure seems to me that "the spread" between buying new and late used has narrowed greatly since I last bought. I have never bought new ever, but may be forced to if I can't find
another Trailblazer.
I bought a brand new '03 TB, still my daily driver with 116k. Great vehicle. Hoping to keep it another 100k miles. Just standard maintenance here as well.
HawkeyeNFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 06:33 PM   #112

The car I had before the TrailBlazer was a 96 S-10 pickup. Gave that to my brother because we started having kids and needed something that a kid's seat could go into. I bought that brand new, and my brother is still driving it. Another good vehicle.
HawkeyeNFO is offline   Reply With Quote