Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

VA settles class action lawsuit
Old 01-27-2009, 07:51 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

VA settles class action lawsuit

Remember the security breach at the VA a couple of years ago? If you got a letter from the VA alerting you that your personal information may have been compromise, then you could be one of the beneficiaries of this:

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- The Department of Veterans Affairs has agreed to pay $20 million to current and former military personnel to settle a class action lawsuit on behalf of the men and women whose personal data was on a laptop computer stolen during a burglary.

The names, dates of birth and Social Security numbers of about 26.5 million active duty troops and veterans were on the laptop and external drive, which disappeared while in the custody of a Veterans Affairs data analyst in 2006...

The funds will go to military personnel and veterans who were harmed by the loss of personal data, either through emotional distress or through costs incurred in monitoring credit records.

The math doesn't work out very well: $20 million less attorney's fees divided by 26.5 million. But what the heck, I've hardly slept a wink for the past two years. Where's my check?
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-27-2009, 07:56 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

So, what are you going to spend you $.50 on? Oh, forgot Lawyer fees, make that $.05
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 07:58 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic23 View Post
So, what are you going to spend you $.50 on? Oh, forgot Lawyer fees, make that $.05
A down payment on a sleeping pill...
Old 01-28-2009, 03:47 AM   #4

Only Lawyers make out financially on CALS (Class Action Law Suits). I do not even respond to the bait to join them. If you have a case better to "go it alone" with YOUR Lawyer. Of course the Judge will probably consolidate them into a CALS - so you can not win!
Old 01-28-2009, 09:01 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

I think DH got the letter about the breach. causing tremendous upheaval in our lives of course, but he missed out on signing up for the class action lawsuit--so everyone can split his share.
Old 01-28-2009, 09:07 AM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Vaguely remember getting the letter. Can't remember if my number was in the range the described.

If my number was included, all are welcome to the share.
Old 01-28-2009, 09:14 AM   #7
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic23 View Post
Oh boy!! A whole nickel!! Well, after inflation $0.03. Don't spend it all in one place.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 09:38 AM   #8

Might be off a few cents. $20M devided by 23m is $.87 if the lawyers take 75%, well $.22. However, I have left out administrative cost. With a letter costing $.42, each veteran will have to send in $.20 to get their refund! Hey, this could be a new stimulus package!
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 11:46 AM   #9

Heck, I got a letter too. Too bad they couldn't provide a few years of credit monitoring. They could have gotten a good discount on 23M people!
Bimmerbill is offline   Reply With Quote